Revisiting 03 LS, dash cluster/PATS reprogramming-malfunctioning

Torx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Every 6 months or so i'll get back outside and turn the old lincoln over just to keep it on life support.. and i revisit this same old problem that forced me to abandon it.

dash cluster with intermittant going out would cause the car not to crank up.
bought a replacement cluster on ebay, plugged it up, everything works and stays on, needles dont jump or the cluster doesnt go out... BUT of course, the PATS code in the replacement doesnt match the PCM/keys, etc so it doesnt crank. Ive gone so far as to resolder everything on the old cluster just in case a connection cracked..

Has anyone figured out how to bypass the pats with a new cluster without taking it to ford for reprogramming? Does anyone have a pinout wiring diagram of the cluster for 2003? Im interested in retracing everything to see what i can replace or what wires to play with. I dont wanna sell it because it still runs good, i drove it around today until i turned it off, then it wouldnt crank back up... Seems like the more i drive it with the old cluster, and the hotter it gets, the more it starts to act up. Might toss it in the freezer for a day and see what it does after i plug it back in, lol. another idea i had was, swapping whatever CHIP the pats code info in on, onto the new cluster, but i dont know what rom chip holds that data, any idea?? I do have experience resoldering SMD chips and components.

Any advice on bypassing the pats and or hot wiring this car would help.. I have a good cluster and the bad cluster to work with... Or if anyone knows a good online cluster repair person, let me know.. thanks

heres the video again of the cluster acting up

There's no bypassing it. The PCM has to see the right security handshake.
Forscan can marry the PATS in the replacement cluster with your PCM.

thanks joe for that reply.
i think ive installed forscan before, but can you recommend the setup needed to marry? i think at the time i was trying to bluetooth connect from my computer in the house to the car,
so best method would be laptop with wired or wireless obd adapter?
will i need a paid version of forscan or is the free beta for windows fine?

i played with the software a bit, but couldnt figure out the marry process or how to do a pcm cloning? any advice or instructions on this part?
big thanks.

EDIT: Okay, ive bought the extended license for $10, i mightve already done this before lol i cant even remember. Have my bluetooth 327 elm connected, but not seeing any options to manipulate pcm module data to and from. Do i need an elm adapter with MS/HS-Can feature?

Last edited:
Yes, you need the PC software. That's free, there's no extended license to buy for that, and the Android software can't do the PATS stuff. You need a wired adapter with the laptop. Go to the Forscan forums. They explain what you have to do. You will have to request for them to enable the PATS feature for you. There's no charge for this though.

ok, thx, very interesting.
i'll get in touch with the devs and community to see what i can dig up. thanks for the key things to research

UPDATE UPDATE!!
HOLY CRAPBALLS. after 3 years of frustration, and off and on trying to figure this out.. WE DID IT JOE!
popped the replacement cluster in,
connected the obd to computer (yes i had my whole computer outside, no laptop)
connected with forscan, after figuring out i had to switch the switch on the obd hs/mscan
wow, that opened up all kinds of goodies and settings to play with compared to the last time i tried with a bluetooth obd
went straight to programming pcu -> backed up/gained access through security -> initialize cluster -> reprogrammed the keys -> started the car!

i mean that was so fast, and straight forward for me, it really wasnt even guess work.
car starts up beautifully now, has been sitting for 3 years, time to get it back looking decent as my backup and redo the cooling system :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back