easiest way to remove the v8 head

kevinfish

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

The Lincoln LS shop manual says to remove the engine first. Video's I've seen online make it appear you have to at least remove the radiator, balancer, and front cover. I'm wondering if anyone has just removed the intake, exhaust, marking the main timing chain to its cam sprocket with some paint, then lowering it down with some bailing wire tied to it, then just pulling the head by itself.

Will that work or is there something that's going to make doing it this way impossible?

TIA,
-Kevin

Why are you pulling the head? If it's for a cooling problem, you are 95% likely to be looking in the wrong place.

That said, You can't remove the head without removing the timing cover first.

Why are you pulling the head? If it's for a cooling problem, you are 95% likely to be looking in the wrong place.

Bent valve. Does the front cover physically obstruct the head from being removed? From watching a video it just looks like there might be a bolt or two going down into it but that's all

I'm not sure. There is a dowel pin or two on the cover. Seems like you'll need to remove it to change the chains anyway. I think that you can get the cover off with the engine still in the car.
Most of the short cuts that I have tried to do stuff, ended up taking longer and being more difficult than just following the correct procedure.

I'm not sure. There is a dowel pin or two on the cover. Seems like you'll need to remove it to change the chains anyway. I think that you can get the cover off with the engine still in the car.
Most of the short cuts that I have tried to do stuff, ended up taking longer and being more difficult than just following the correct procedure.

I can appreciate that. I'm gonna give it a stab anyway, as it's already along the critical path to doing it the recommended way.

Also, I'm not changing the chains. Do you know if there are any dowels on the block deck? I think they would be more likely to stop me than any pins on the front cover. The video I was watching didn't appear to have any dowels on the front cover nor on the deck (but I'd find it kind of hard to believe that since aligning them would be a bitch).

(link to the part where the front cover comes off -- watch at .25 speed to get the best view):

(link to the part showing the decks)

Will that work or is there something that's going to make doing it this way impossible

You were warned.

popcorn (1).GIF

Members online

Back