Why is my LS overheating????

3.9 (V8) or 3.0 (V6)?
Try noise down next time. You can do it in one sitting then (no driving around and trying again). You want the degas bottle to be at the highest point.

Typo, they put the 6 right next to the 9 o_O Corrected,3.9L.

I've tried that multiple times over the 16 years of owning the 2003. with my sloped driveway. It does not work as well as what I do now.

The fan usually doesn't kick up at all. But yesterday it did when the temperature was at the exact half mark. Then i heard it slowly die down and about 5 minutes later the temperature slowly went up.

If you ever do figure out the problem definitively, please post your solution. I have same car and although mine doesn’t overheat at the moment, I’m sure it’s coming.
As far as the plastic pipes containing micro cracks letting in air, I don’t see why a new coat of plastic paint wouldn’t seal them. Just a thought.
Good luck

The fan usually doesn't kick up at all. But yesterday it did when the temperature was at the exact half mark. Then i heard it slowly die down and about 5 minutes later the temperature slowly went up.
I think I read this entire thread and did not see anyone recommend the part that fixed a similar totally frustrating overheating issue with my 2001 V6 LS. Sorry if i missed it. I wasn't sure if it would help the V8 until I saw a post saying the gen1 V8s also have a hydraulic fan system.
So the part that finally fixed my issue was the expensive little hydraulic fan actuator.

Last edited:
I think I read this entire thread and did not see anyone recommend the part that fixed a similar totally frustrating overheating issue with my 2001 V6 LS. Sorry if i missed it. I wasn't sure if it would help the V8 until I saw a post saying the gen1 V8s also have a hydraulic fan system.
So the part that finally fixed my issue was the expensive little hydraulic fan actuator.
Try looking at other post, like this one: Looking for Hydraulic Fan Actuator xw4z-3783-CA

Read my post. I'm not looking for one, I already installed one.
I did read you post, I do not think you understand your post.

You said "I think I read this entire thread and did not see anyone recommend the part that fixed a similar totally frustrating overheating issue with my 2001 V6 LS. Sorry if i missed it. I wasn't sure if it would help the V8 until I saw a post saying the gen1 V8s also have a hydraulic fan system.
So the part that finally fixed my issue was the expensive little hydraulic fan actuator."

And I told you to look at other post like the one I listed. and You said look for what! You seem to be confused?

It really does help to look at other threads on cooling system issues rather than relying on one thread for answers.

As far as the plastic pipes containing micro cracks letting in air, I don’t see why a new coat of plastic paint wouldn’t seal them.

Because as the plastic heats up... it expands... causing the cracks to open up. Then as they cool down... is when they suck air in.

Most likely though...there would be evidence of a leak during expansion... shown by a white crusty film on the parts.

I did read you post, I do not think you understand your post.

You said "I think I read this entire thread and did not see anyone recommend the part that fixed a similar totally frustrating overheating issue with my 2001 V6 LS. Sorry if i missed it. I wasn't sure if it would help the V8 until I saw a post saying the gen1 V8s also have a hydraulic fan system.
So the part that finally fixed my issue was the expensive little hydraulic fan actuator."

And I told you to look at other post like the one I listed. and You said look for what! You seem to be confused?

It really does help to look at other threads on cooling system issues rather than relying on one thread for answers.
OK dont want to argue with you. I was trying to help the OP telling him what had fixed a similar problem in my car, the hydraulic fan actuator. I dont know what you dont understand about that and dont really care at this point.

Yeah i have been all over the place researching. I found the chilton manual useless. But Okay heres whats going on The fan isnt running when the cars hot. The fan isnt running when the a.c. is on. So I was super caught up In replacing leaking parts i honestly didnt think anything of the fan until the other day. After a ton of research im going for a 16 inch 3000 cfm electronic fan conversion. I hope it isnt too big. Saw in a video by Holley Racing that a v8 needs 2500cfm. Im buying a controller with a radiator probe. Still havent figured out where to set it temperature wise for the fan to kick on. The thermostat I put in was i think 183 degrees. I didnt know how high above that inshould let it get?? Im going to loop the pump and leave it intact with new fluid. Any thoughts? And i know its gonna be a task..

Yeah i have been all over the place researching. I found the chilton manual useless. But Okay heres whats going on The fan isnt running when the cars hot. The fan isnt running when the a.c. is on. So I was super caught up In replacing leaking parts i honestly didnt think anything of the fan until the other day. After a ton of research im going for a 16 inch 3000 cfm electronic fan conversion. I hope it isnt too big. Saw in a video by Holley Racing that a v8 needs 2500cfm. Im buying a controller with a radiator probe. Still havent figured out where to set it temperature wise for the fan to kick on. The thermostat I put in was i think 183 degrees. I didnt know how high above that inshould let it get?? Im going to loop the pump and leave it intact with new fluid. Any thoughts? And i know its gonna be a task..
I'm sure that the thermostat is the least of your concerns ...but MotorCraft thermostat is the only way to go in a LS OEM or bust

... I don’t see why a new coat of plastic paint wouldn’t seal them. Just a thought.
Good luck

Dream on. The parts rot from the inside out. It would just explode a few days later.

I now have my electronic fan, a 3/8 barbed splice for the hoses to/from the fan, and i have to go pick up my controller tomorrow. I wont have a day off until monday but ill let you guys know how it goes.

Well, did the conversion yesterday. No overheating so far. Usually if i let it run for more than 20 minutes it overheats. Since replacing fan i let it run an hour and no overheating. I think ive found my culprit finally!

Now that ive sank about 650 bucks in it at shops and still had to fix it myself I dont know if ill ever trust a shop again.

The universal electronic conversion was pretty easy with an adjustable controller. The hardest part was getting the old one out. Only thing i want to change is the controller though. Ive heard the cheap controllers dont last long.

Members online

No members online now.
Back