2001 LS V8 Overheating

Gee whiz that degas bottle and thermostat was interesting. I did the bleeding process also. It needed a bit of coolant to finally behave.

Okay, went to remove actuator per YouTube video I saw. Disconnected reservoir hoses and then discovered that I could not access it from the top line the guy did in the video (I guess his was a V6). Decided to have my shop do it and called the dealership to order the part. Found out the part was not the actuator but the control module. In the process of starting the job I sucked out the fluid in the reservoir and refilled it with new fluid when I resintalled it and voila the fan started immediately working. Worked all day yesterday so looked like we were good. Nope, overheated close to work again today and fan was not cycling. So glad running the heater returns the temperature to normal and allows me to get where I am going! Ran perfect on return trip and it was around 110 (I am in Arizona). So question for jmeecer, was the pump you bought on eBay new aftermarket or? Did you install the pump or just the actuator? I did see the post detailing the V8 installation for the actuator. My shop quoted me an hour or so to install it.

Okay, went to remove actuator per YouTube video I saw. Disconnected reservoir hoses and then discovered that I could not access it from the top line the guy did in the video (I guess his was a V6). Decided to have my shop do it and called the dealership to order the part. Found out the part was not the actuator but the control module. In the process of starting the job I sucked out the fluid in the reservoir and refilled it with new fluid when I resintalled it and voila the fan started immediately working. Worked all day yesterday so looked like we were good. Nope, overheated close to work again today and fan was not cycling. So glad running the heater returns the temperature to normal and allows me to get where I am going! Ran perfect on return trip and it was around 110 (I am in Arizona). So question for jmeecer, was the pump you bought on eBay new aftermarket or? Did you install the pump or just the actuator? I did see the post detailing the V8 installation for the actuator. My shop quoted me an hour or so to install it.

The pump I bought off eBay was a new factory ford pump. I just installed the actuator. I had to lift the car and put it on jackstands, took front passenger side tire off for more room. The actuator was removed from underneath the car. I think I had to disconnect the electrical connection first, in order to get my ratchet in there. I think I used a T-40 socket bit to unscrew the actuator off the back side of the pump. Not much room in there used an extension and a flex head ratchet 1/4 drive. When the actuator can out, fluid ran out of the hole, I placed a rag on top of the alternator to keep the old fluid from running into the alternator. Took about a hour, due to lifting car , removing tire, then trying to figure out how to get the actuator out. I also drained as much fluid out as I could before putting in new Ford Mercon V fluid.

Thanks for the info but I can't find a listing for a new pump, just several used ones?

Thanks for the info but I can't find a listing for a new pump, just several used ones?

WOW looks like the price went up quite a bit. I got my pump here Hydraulic Fan Clutch Steering Pump + Actuator NEW-TO OEM XW4Z3783C YW4Z8C628BA | eBay

The listing says "take off with less than 100 miles"
The one I received from them looked like a new pump. So, I am guessing here, they probably put that disclaimer in to cover all of the pumps they sell. I think I paid $255 plus shipping and tax or $288.90.

Last edited:
No, got the part a few days ago but I was right in the middle of moving. Not going to have time to do it myself so will get in shop Tuesday. In the meantime enjoying running the heat in 110 degree weather... Phoenix! Will post an update once installed.

I can imagine thats frustrating. I think I'm next on the market for a pump. Mines getting hot and the fan runs sometimes but not when it's not etc. I'm curious to see how it works for you.

I'll definitely let you know. Changing the fluid helped initially but not anymore. In the morning I usually get most of the way to work before it calls for heat, but when I return in the afternoon it's hit or miss.

Yep I drive mine straight to work let it cool while im at work and drive straight back but it I go any further than 15 minutes it gets hot

Well, been too busy between work and the move so I had my shop so it. Since their price was so good I had them install the new pump with actuator. The part I got off eBay looks new, thanks Meecer! I pick up the car tomorrow morning and will be heading to work so I'll let you know if that did the trick.

Picked up car this morning and drove to and from work without issue. Thanks to everyone especially Joegr and Meecer.

Members online

Back