Looking for Hydraulic Fan Actuator xw4z-3783-CA

jmeecer

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Car started to get a little warm last night on the way home. When I turn the ac on the fan does not speed up, so I think the Hydraulic Fan Actuator (xw4z-3783-ca) has went out. Ordered one last night, got an e-mail from the dealer. back ordered! Send another e-mail asking how long he expect, he stated not one in the entire country? WTF!

So I guess I have a 2 ton paper weight in my driveway with no way to get parts to get it fixed.
Anybody know where I can get one of these actuators?

Last edited:
You could call Tasca and FordPartsGiant and ask if either of them have it in stock.

I see some used ones (priced kind of high) on eBay.

Otherwise, there is this option.
www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-Fan-Clutch-Steering-Pump-Actuator-NEW-TO-OEM-XW4Z3783C-YW4Z8C628BA/323163425764?fits=Model%3ALS%7CMake%3ALincoln&hash=item4b3e0a8be4%3Ag%3ADbEAAOSwLh5atA-Z&LH_ItemCondition=3

Yep, I saw that on ebay. I think that maybe the only option.
I do not call Tasca or FPG. but neither one show it available on their website.

I wonder if this is another LS part that is going/gone away?

I really hope not! I ordered that pump off ebay, just one left.
Thought about it for a few minutes, just the cost of the actuator alone was $200 (if it was not on back order), so for an additional $55 I get a slightly new pump. I think I would call that a win! Hope the pump and the actuator are both good.

I see Tasca has rebuilt pumps forsale so they have to have actuators in order to be able to rebuild pumps. That is the confusing part.

My car only has 159,000 miles, I was REALLY hoping to get a few more years out of her.

Last edited:
You can always convert to electric fan. That is my plan if it comes to that, after changing out 2 actuators, last one being 2 years ago.

I have been able to loosen up the actuator and get it to work again by replacing as much of the fluid as possible with TransTune for a couple weeks. I have a 2 yr old actuator in my LS right now and now with every oil change I suck out as much fluid as I can and replace it with new synthetic. This always keeps relatively good fluid in the system. The old never smells old and burnt either.

Got the pump I order off Ebay in the mail yesterday...guess what I received...a POWER STEERING PUMP! OMG...are you kidding me! Does anybody look at the parts they ship before they ship them! These morons finally answered my e-mail this afternoon and said they are sending the CORRECT PUMP...I guess I will be waiting another week!

Last edited:
...These morons finally answered my e-mail this afternoon and say they are sending the CORRECT PUMP...I guess I will be waiting another week!

I hope you do better than I did a bit ago with some electronic equipment. I needed the USB version, and they sent the RS-232 version. I sent it back and they said they'd send the correct one. They sent RS-232 again. We went back an forth a while, and I offered that they could send me a picture of the box for the next one, and I could tell them if it said in big letters on the front of the box "RS-232" or "USB." After that, it was an ordeal to get a refund.

Anyway, I did send them a message about there being no fan pump on 2003 to 2006. No response.

The Ebay seller send the right pump this time with actuator attached. Going to put the new actuator in this weekend and change out the fluid. I hope, fingers crossed, this fixing the fan problem. Keep you all posted.

Update
Replaced the actuator saturday morning. That was a bitch to get off, hope I do not have to do that again anytime soon. I was able go get about 1 quart of fluid drained and replaced with new Ford Mercon-V. The fluid did not look bad but smelled a little burnt. I let it idle for 20 minutes with the AC on high, no overheating issues. Have only drove it about 4 miles. Have not drove it to work yet.

A week later update.
Been driving the car over a week now and it has not overheated, so I call that FIXED.
I think I will take the old actuator and clean it with brake cleaner and see if I can get it unstuck and working again as a backup, since the actuators are still on backorder.

Last edited:
I converted my 2000 model LS to an electric fan. It has a fan from an '03 LS 2nd gen. My fan is just run from a basic all-or-nothing temperature probe/relay, but it has worked well for 2 years.

A week later update.
Been driving the car over a week now and it has not overheated, so I call that FIXED.
I think I will take the old actuator and clean it with brake cleaner and see if I can get it unstuck and working again as a backup, since the actuators are still on backorder.
Can you provide me with the part number for the pump please? I can’t find that separate part anywhere

Thank you so much, so if I get that part does it include the below with it?

Ford XW4Z-3783-CA - ACTUATOR ASY​

Mine did. But mine was a new pump not a rebuilt one, and I think all that is left are rebuilt pumps, unless you can find another new one. I would call whomever you buy the pump from and ask them if the actuator is included. Have you tried to clean the old actuator? The long metal pin comes out and I sprayed brake cleaner in the pin hole in the actuator to clean the gunk out of it. Some people have had good luck just cleaning them and putting them back in, but they are a bitch to get out and I wanted to make sure if I put one back in it would work.

Mine did. But mine was a new pump not a rebuilt one, and I think all that is left are rebuilt pumps, unless you can find another new one. I would call whomever you buy the pump from and ask them if the actuator is included. Have you tried to clean the old actuator? The long metal pin comes out and I sprayed brake cleaner in the pin hole in the actuator to clean the gunk out of it. Some people have had good luck just cleaning them and putting them back in, but they are a bitch to get out and I wanted to make sure if I put one back in it would work.
Man I appreciate the help. My Lincoln has 98,000 miles and now when I drive and turn the AC on it starts to overheat. All the coolant parts are up to date and new. I think its the Thermostat or that assembly. Car does not overheat with the AC off. I found this part below on ebay, and shows new. Can you please confirm that is what I need? THanks again!

Man I appreciate the help. My Lincoln has 98,000 miles and now when I drive and turn the AC on it starts to overheat. All the coolant parts are up to date and new. I think its the Thermostat or that assembly. Car does not overheat with the AC off. I found this part below on ebay, and shows new. Can you please confirm that is what I need? THanks again!

That is a remanufactured pump not a new pump, since the last two digits of the part number are "RM." I would e-mail or call them to see if the actuator is included, it may not be since it is a remanufactured unit and not a new one.

"Can you please confirm that is what I need?"

And, I am not sure this will fix your overheating issue, it fixed mine but my car was overheating even with the AC off.

Members online

Back