2001 LS V8 Overheating

Okay all. Here is today's update. Went to check if fan was working properly per Joegr's suggestion. Topped off Degas and started. Ran AC the entire time. Took about to 5 minutes to get to normal (bottom side of middle line).
No leaks and fan running normally. Let idle for 5 minutes with no change. Ran at 2000 rpms for about 2 minutes. Temperature remained normal. Slight increase in pressure on top hose but no overheating. Let idle for another 10 minutes... everything normal. The phantom is gone again!!!
Don't know about a phantom being gone but let's hope the air finally worked its way out ;) As always keep us posted

Okay, short lived success. Runs all day long at 2000 or less, but go over that and the overheating begins. Was finally able to verify that the fan is not shifting to high gear. No leaks and no air. Run the heater and it will maintain normal temperature. Actuator? Fluid appears to be fine.

I had that issue even after replacing my actuator too, but eventually it kicked in, maybe after a few weeks. In that time I replaced the belt and the old fluid in the reservoir, sucking out then refilling and verifying the filter was clear of debris. I don’t remember doing much else.

Hmmm, the fluid doesn't look bad (not new but still pink and no water) but replacing it would be a less costly option...so definitely worth a shot! Already put a new belt on.

My 2002 3.9 suddenly started overheating today. I drove yesterday 380 miles with no issues. This morning I decided to make a short trip and three miles from home and about 10 minutes into the trip the temperature spiked and reduced engine power displayed. There was no coolant in the degas bottle after filling it up yesterday morning. I have noticed a small puddle of water recently under the drivers side of the car almost directly under the degas bottle location.

There was no coolant in the degas bottle after filling it up yesterday morning. I have noticed a small puddle of water recently under the drivers side of the car almost directly under the degas bottle location.

If you haven’t replaced many of the plastic parts in your cooling system that fail, which Scottman has already done, this link will help you understand what may be the cause
01 LS Coolant Parts Replacement advice please!!

Okay, thanks to determinedd and Joegr (who asked about the fluid initially) I used this really cool syringe I bought on Amazon and changed the fluid in the reservoir and voila the fan started cycling! Prior to this it was stuck on an intermediate speed AC or no AC. So we'll take it to work tomorrow and see what happens.

Short lived success. Overheated on way to work...fan not cycling. Actuator?

Just called Ford, part on backorder, no one has one in entire country. Can I clean it and flush system?

Just called Ford, part on backorder, no one has one in entire country. Can I clean it and flush system?

Yes, I think that would be worth a try.
Another member just recently purchased a new fan pump (includes the actuator already installed) just to get the actuator.

Would this be an issue?

7F337E42-B919-4F30-B0CD-C81DB604198D.jpeg

069E7013-A1C4-40F3-B197-510AA7477C9B.jpeg

Would this be an issue?

Yes, for sure (though it sounds like not the only one). The degas bottle is one of those plastic cooling system parts that we say to replace all at the same time. It seems like every degas bottle will crack eventually. It also seems like the factory bottle (or the Jaguar one) is still the best choice by far.

Thanks Joegr and Meecer,
I checked and I can get the Actuator with the pump ($270 with tax at local dealer). Will clean it and flush system first and see if that doesn't do the trick.

Thanks Joegr and Meecer,
I checked and I can get the Actuator with the pump ($270 with tax at local dealer). Will clean it and flush system first and see if that doesn't do the trick.

Is that a Ford pump or aftermarket? I would be very leery getting an aftermarket pump for that cost, when you can get a Ford pump with actuator on Ebay for about the same price. That is what I did.

It better be OEM since I called a Ford dealership!
Yes, that should be a Ford pump. I just assumed you were purchasing an aftermarket pump since you did not specify. I misread your original post, I see "local dealer" now. My mistake.

Members online

Back