what is going on?

homeless

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having issues with my 2003 LS with the 3.9. It had been neglected for quite some time but had the basic maintenance done. Recently it had started running super rough and dying on me so I took it in to get checked out, they looked it over and the result was a phonebook of codes.:(

P0010, P0020, P0053, P0059, P0135, P0155, P0193, P0300, P0304, P0316, P0622, P1000, B1201, C1925, B2477, C1983, B1875, U1262, U1041, B232, B1242, P2426, P2796, U1040

So I put on a new throttle body, fuel sensor, coils, plugs, 02 Sensors. I cleared the codes and was able to get about 300 feet to the stop sign when failsafe mode kicked in. Then I had codes P0135, P0155, P2106 pop when I got back to my garage. Is the next step replacing my PCM?

IMG_5216.jpg

Sounds similar to issues I had about 2 years ago. It was due to seriously large air gaps in my cooling system caused by hairline leaks in the plastic tubes connecting hoses to the engine. When they heated up I would lose coolant and when too much air was introduced into the system it would continue to go into safe mode and then eventually just died. Try refilling your coolant according to the Lincoln LS "How To Article" found on this site and see if the codes you are getting disappear.

How to Drain the Lincoln LS Cooling System

I did a total replacement of my coolant transport system (excluding radiator), and haven't had any problems in performance over the last two years of heavy daily driving. Couldn't pinpoint the exact location of the leakage, and LVC Forums recommend if one piece is bad, you should replace it all because the others are close behind in failure. But first, try the refill suggestion just to see if it alleviates your immediate situation for a bit. If so, then prepare yourself for a replacement repair job, you'll be glad you did.

... Is the next step replacing my PCM?

Maybe, but probably not. Almost all of those codes have one thing in common, the engine wiring harness. Maybe some rodents got to it will it was sitting? They find the environmentally friendly insulation on the wires tasty.

Alright! Looks like I’ll be goin over the harness and hoping i find something.

Sounds similar to issues I had about 2 years ago. ...

Please do note that the LS has two completely different failsafe modes.

There is ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) failsafe mode, which the OP is having, and there is cooling failsafe which is what you are talking about. These are two completely different and unrelated things.

not perfectly bled it will limp happened once it will boil the coolant in the degas bottle contemplating whats going on right now thinking of everything for the coolant system that is if I can get it to run long enough to calculate my odds at living while driving it I like how the seat supports my back im going to need it after I get done doing the mamba

not perfectly bled it will limp happened once it will boil the coolant in the degas bottle contemplating whats going on right now thinking of everything for the coolant system that is if I can get it to run long enough to calculate my odds at living while driving it I like how the seat supports my back im going to need it after I get done doing the mamba

His problem is not cooling system. His problem is/was ETC failsafe. A completely different thing.

Alright! Looks like I’ll be goin over the harness and hoping i find something.

Somtime recently on this forum a member was having issues. He pulled his intake to find a mess of melted wires... and a large hole in the underside of the intake. It was ugly.

Not saying this is your problem... but that mice can be very destructive in out of the way places.

I just got home and was gonna start going over all the wires in the engine bay but thought to myself to try and start it just to see if it would go into failsafe mode when i pulled it out of the garage to the driveway and it doesn’t start now. It turns over but the engine just doesn’t wanna get running.

*Doesnt turn over...just cranks and cranks and cranks

So, it does turn over, it just doesn't catch and run.

"turn over" = the starter engages and rotates the crankshaft.

Also, have you checked battery voltage? LSes do weird things with low/bad batteries.

Also, have you checked battery voltage? LSes do weird things with low/bad batteries.
I have not. The battery is a year old but will check that out for sure.

Thank you everyone for the advice! It’s greatly appreciated!

I have flooded my LS more than once, hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank for no more that 20 seconds, then release key wait a few seconds for the starter to cool (but do not release your foot off the gas pedal) crank again for no more than 20 seconds. Does it try to start now?

When I replaced my starter last year, I had trouble getting it started, tried this method and on the third try it started.

I want to thank everyone for all the help. I finally got my car started again but it instantly goes into ETC failsafe mode. There's only three codes being thrown now p2100 p2107 and p2100. Even though the COP's and spark plugs only have 20 miles on them do I need to replace them again?

It fires up and after a second or drops to 500 rpm and runs really rough!

Last edited:
Oh man Im an idiot ...forgot to plug a clip back in. Once I did that it started running a lot smoother..however, I drove three miles and then I got p2106...Its a brand new throttle body..It wouldn't let me go over 2500 RPM on my way back.but I could go 55 mph without any issues...

...Its a brand new throttle body..It wouldn't let me go over 2500 RPM on my way back.but I could go 55 mph without any issues...

It's almost never the throttle body.
What brand are the COPs?
Did you verify the plug gaps at 1.0mm?
Did you closely inspect the engine wiring harness?
Have you tried a test drive with the DCCV unplugged?

Members online

Back