cop diagnostic

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ive got two sets of cops 16 cops ..I was checking back on my cam/valve cover gasket job to see how my tubes were ….well there nice and dry and since I knew the cops were not my problem I replaced my cops with the original set I had and the iridium plugs that were in also . I tested all my cops for ohms first ..two full sets and all were roughly 6 to 7 ohms the next thing I did was test my connector wires for the cop coils for cross talk and grounding all were ok no crossed wires that I can tell I also tested the connector wires for impedance but for most it was infinite but a few were not as stable 500k to 2mega ohm but my meter is not the best … its just me I conduct in that range....

green wires are continuous ??? ******* at least each bank is but they are striped different

what are the wires supposed to show if anything ? …. ive had water on a cop before and and one with oil more recently the wiper park at the water park had me crawl home a mile from wallmart one night

above new cam cover gasket all dry but what damage may have I done im hoping there is something intermediate to my pcm as well I want to test the flyback or the ignitions modual that pumps these guys up

Last edited:
Unfortunately, checking the primary resistance of the COPs is nearly useless. The main failure mode of the LS COPs is high voltage breakdown. The only way to test for that is to operate the coils and look for the signs of extra secondary arcs by looking at the primary waveform on a good scope. Ford has a TSB out about stress testing the coils.

Kyocera coils supposedly makes sense load test id have to set up a jig I havnt done anything enough to even get dtc's yet

flushed choco milk with a cup of berrymans was bad idea have clacking now and I changed cops twice im thinking of adding some sea foam to see if it clears up

Yeah... engine bearings don't like water. You should have done an oil change before running the engine.

Actually... you should have changed the oil cooler before anything else.

engine oil looks ok since changed day 6 no clouds yet ….Im debating the wiper park leaking in on the action it caused me limp on #4 before … water takes about 10 minutes to coagulate the oil and doesn't take much ??? not sure ill dump my oil again soon but there was hardly any miles on the oil and ive changed it a few times putting only about 2k on the vehicle ….smoke was the thing and a drop in performance since picking up the vehicle my brakes /.booster was on the fringe at the time I bought it but didnt think enough about it ...it dumped all the fluid one night or swallowed it locking up my brake pedal and later I could hear hissing ...I want to imagine that is were the fluid went on my cats hence smoke whitish ... the invariance of vaccum could of been my performance problem seeing how it was brake booster not cops or covers its disappointing all I did was flush it now I got what sounds like a rod or valve clacking

im looking for the how two rebuild the top end tutorial any links would be appreciated...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back