Question about trans filter replacement and c1277 code

moneypitLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have an 05 v8 and I’m looking to drop the trans pan and replace the filter. I was wondering the procedure for refilling the lost fluid is and how much I need to put back in? I’m also wondering if I should replace the in line filter as well? Finally, I get a check advancetrac light every now and again and pulled a c1277 code. This typically happens at 30-40 mph while accelerating onto the freeway. I have access to Mitchell pro demand at work so I printed off the testing procedure for the steering wheel angle sensor but was wondering if anyone has had experience with this before?

Well, you need to put back as much as you drain out. I know it's not that simple since some will spill.
Here's the official procedure: 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
There are a few threads on here with some shortcuts. If you are doing this just to change the filter, then it really shouldn't need it unless the transmission is failing. If it is failing, changing the filter won't do much for long.

Inline filter? Are you sure you have one? Those were only installed if there was a bad transmission failure during warranty. If you do have one, then that's the one to change. It's a real filter as opposed to the screen filter that's in the transmission, but again it would be very rare for you to have one.

Yes, I've had the steering angle sensor error a few times on my 04. (So far,not on my 06.) I use compressed air to clean the sensor, and that seems to cure it for a pretty good while. Of course, this could be a false correlation on my part. Note that for me, the error would trigger when turning the steering wheel.

Ahh I see. I was going to do the filter replacement for general maintenance because on Mitchell it says to replace it at 60,000 and every 30,000 after but I’ll just hold off on it though. I’ll try the compressed air for my wheel sensor and go from there. I haven’t noticed any difference in operation other than the traction control light coming on every once in a while (like once every couple months). The light goes away once I shut off the car and restart it. Thanks for the help as always!

Sorry bout this but the sensor is at the bottom of the steering column right?

Yes, at the bottom, under the dash. There is a metal disc with slots all around. Part of the disc passes through a black box. This is where the optics that can get dirty are. (#3 below)
s6x~us~en~file=a0060696.gif~gen~ref.gif

So I blew off the module with an air gun and reset the code. After resetting the code I now have a flashing advance trac light and c1998 code

So after doing some research on Mitchell and talking to one of the mechanics at my job it seems that the c1277 code requires a calibration after being reset. We should be able to recalibrate it with the shops scan tool if we have some downtime tomorrow. Is there anything I should be aware of? The mechanics at my job are well experienced but this car is pretty quirky and you guys are well versed with it

Update on the situation. We went through the calibration procedure and afterwards it said calibration was not complete on the scan tool but the flashing light went away. I test drove it and the light came on for a few seconds and went away without restarting the car and has not come back. I still have the c1998 module calibration incomplete and now I have a c1963 stability control inhibit warning. Right now my questions are does the c1963 just mean my stability control is disabled and where do you think I should go from here?

Members online

Back