SCIL problems solved I got info

bluebmw83

LVC Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I stop to get gas in the mk8 G2, once I put the gas in and got ready to start the vehicle, nothing lights went out, no radio, interior lights, no windows and most of all no start. So I instantly thought damn battery died, but yet I have dash warning lights. So my dad who was with me and who's a professional mechanic did some checking. So we see we have battery power and he wired it to crank from under the hood but it wouldn't turn over, so we towed it back to the garage. After a lot of research (thanks to this site) and process of elimination we came down to it being the SCIL. He wired it to start by jumping from the fuse box under the hood but it has no light except brake lights. So I instantly ordered a use one off of ebay for $91 it took a week to come which was today. We installed it and all the lights worked again but came across another issue.... The SCIL won't recognize the key, uh oh. It needs to be flashed. Well after some studying my dad remembered an old trick and it worked so here it go...
Your gonna run your battery down doing this so be ready.

1) Turn the key to the on position (2)
2) The anti theft light will blink for 15 minutes so let it
3) Once it stop blinking you have 40 sec to turn key off then back on again, remember do not
Take out the key
4) The anti theft light is gonna blink for another 15 minutes
5) once light stop blinking turn key off then back on again and repeat the process a third time totalling a 45 minute reset
6) after light stop blinking turn key off then start car and now your key is programmed to the new SCIL.
Reason why it takes three 15 minute steps is because
1) to learn new key
2) is to erase old code
3) is to program new key.
I hope this helps anyone else in this situation and not have to pay dealer program fee.

whoa cool stuff man. very nice to have a new member come on here and share good info. welcome!

Thx I've been lurking here on and off for years but finally bought one this year after i needed a break from my bmw Obsession, reason i haven't posted picks yet is because i don't feel it looks good enough yet. But I seen no one could solve this issue and wanted to contribute.

It's going to be to the right behind glove box, it's going to be silver in color with four connectors going in to it

Thanks for the info man! Where in Chicago are you from, I'm from Arlington heights..nice to have another IL member on here.

That is good info to have. That is a typical GM relearn procedure on a lot of their cars. But I have never seen that info in motor alldata or mitchell for the second gen Mark VIII's. That's money saving info there. Thanks.

Yeah that's what my dad remember using such a idea from GM vehicles. It also works with ford but it won't work with Chrysler.

Mark VIII related; You're supposed to need a chipped key for a Gen 1, aren't you?

I had posted this some time ago, this came from a TSB at some point; the programming info anyway.
You can reprogram a master key for the pats system. Heres the how to..
for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury) If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.

If you want to add a key....

1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).

4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.

5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.

You can also disable the factory alarm by grounding the disarm wire.

Listed below is the vehicle specific wiring diagram for your car alarm, remote starter or keyless entry installation into your 1997 -1998 Lincoln Mark Viii . This information outlines the wires location, color and polarity to help you identify the proper connection spots in the vehicle. Please be sure to test all of your wires with a digital multimeter before making any connections. More information on using a multimeter and testing wires please see our Technical Support Area.

PART COLOR LOCATION

12 VOLT CONSTANT YELLOW (+) and LIGHT GREEN/PURPLE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

STARTER RED/BLACK (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

STARTER 2 N/A

IGNITION 1 WHITE/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

IGNITION 2 BLACK/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

IGNITION 3 GREEN/YELLOW (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 BROWN/ORANGE (+) IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS

ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A

KEYSENSE N/A

PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) N/A

PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) BROWN (+) @ SCIL Module, See NOTE *1

POWER LOCK PINK/YELLOW (Positive (+)) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, HARNESS to REAR of VEHICLE

POWER UNLOCK PINK/LIGHT GREEN (Positive (+)) IN DRIVERS KICK PANEL, HARNESS to REAR of VEHICLE

DOOR TRIGGER BLACK/LIGHT BLUE (+) @ UNDER DASH LIGHT

DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION USE DOOR TRIGGER, Requires Part #R30-H Relay

TRUNK RELEASE ORANGE/LIGHT GREEN (-) @ SCIL Module, See NOTE *1

SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A

HORN YELLOW/LIGHT GREEN (-) @ SCIL Module, See NOTE *1

TACH WHITE/PINK or WHITE/RED @ ECM, See NOTE *2

WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A

BRAKE LIGHT GREEN (+) @ SCIL Module, See NOTE *1

FACTORY ALARM DISARM DARK GREEN/PURPLE (-) @ SCIL Module, See NOTE *1

ANTI-THEFT FORD'S SECURILOCK ANTI-THEFT TRANSPONDER SYSTEM TRANSPONDER @ IGNITION SWITCH TUMBLER

EXTRA INFORMATION NOTE *1 the SCIL (Steering Column/Ignition/Lighting) Module is located in the PASSENGER KICK PANEL to the right of the GLOVEBOX. the MODULE is a SILVER VENTED Steel box with the wires exiting out of the back. NOTE *2 the ECM (Electronic Control Module) is located to the RIGHT of the PARKING BRAKE, wire exit the front of the unit.

97mark you say you can disable the alarm by grounding out the disa wire but wil that bypass the start interrupt relay? I ask because I have a 1997 mark that had troubles starting and the anti-theft light would flash. Now it won't start at all and the anti-theft light is solid. I'm trying to find a way to bypass it.

ARC_83 - I am reasonably sure that grounding the disable wire should allow the starter to engage. Aftermarket alarms with remote start ground that wire to allow for the remote start to work. This PDF is one of the best I've found as far as wire colors for the alarm system.

http://alarmsellout.com/support/diagrams/vehicle/LINCOLN MARK VIII 1993-1998.pdf

evc~us~en~file=evc11201.gif

evc~us~en~file=evc11201.gif

About a week ago I stop to get gas in the mk8 G2, once I put the gas in and got ready to start the vehicle, nothing lights went out, no radio, interior lights, no windows and most of all no start. So I instantly thought damn battery died, but yet I have dash warning lights. So my dad who was with me and who's a professional mechanic did some checking. So we see we have battery power and he wired it to crank from under the hood but it wouldn't turn over, so we towed it back to the garage. After a lot of research (thanks to this site) and process of elimination we came down to it being the SCIL. He wired it to start by jumping from the fuse box under the hood but it has no light except brake lights. So I instantly ordered a use one off of ebay for $91 it took a week to come which was today. We installed it and all the lights worked again but came across another issue.... The SCIL won't recognize the key, uh oh. It needs to be flashed. Well after some studying my dad remembered an old trick and it worked so here it go...
Your gonna run your battery down doing this so be ready.

1) Turn the key to the on position (2)
2) The anti theft light will blink for 15 minutes so let it
3) Once it stop blinking you have 40 sec to turn key off then back on again, remember do not
Take out the key
4) The anti theft light is gonna blink for another 15 minutes
5) once light stop blinking turn key off then back on again and repeat the process a third time totalling a 45 minute reset
6) after light stop blinking turn key off then start car and now your key is programmed to the new SCIL.
Reason why it takes three 15 minute steps is because
1) to learn new key
2) is to erase old code
3) is to program new key.
I hope this helps anyone else in this situation and not have to pay dealer program fee.

C

AN'T SAY ENOUGH HOW VALUABLE YOUR DAD AND YOUR POST WA

S TO ANYONE RUNNING INTO THIS PROBLEM. HIS IS A SNEAKER PROBLEM AND VERY TOUGH FOR MOST TO SOLVE. BILL BOATS

Members online

No members online now.
Back