Mark VIII Correct Power Steering Fluid?

LS-jsf

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all, thank you in advance for your help. I was not able to find what I wanted to know in a search here. The owners manual says to use Mercon ATF power steering fluid in a '98 Mark VIII. Can you use Mercon V today in it? If so, is it ok to use Mercon V if some of the original ps fluid is still in there? And how much ps fluid does it hold?

*Edit* I found this TSB (07-1-7) that states the '96-'98 Mark VIII should switch from Mercon ATF to Mercon V for power steering. Can these two fluids be mixed at all?

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb07-01-07.pdf

Last edited:
in our 1997 we've used off-the-shelf PS fluid with no ill effects in 86,000 miles. But it doesn't leak any either ...

Would it be any benefit to siphon out what is in the reservoir and replace it with MERCON V in this 1997?

Would it be any benefit to siphon out what is in the reservoir and replace it with MERCON V in this 1997?
it may be a benefit to drain and flush the system out completely if it hasn't been done before. The original fluid was red if not mistaken and if yours is like mine brown, I think it would benefit the rack and pump. i have heard other members having steering issues with the wheel pulsing of which I'm experiencing now. I read other members had that issue and they flushed the power steering fluid and it corrected the problem. After all it is transmission fluid and if tranny fluid looked that brown everyone would change it, and likely before it got to that brown.

Flushed mine a couple years ago. Fluid was brown also.

Refilled the reservoire with Castrol GTX Mercon V Transmission Fluid. No ill effects since.

I extract my old oil was brown with a turkey syringe, the type you use on thanksgiving lol and was able to get a lot out since I attached a 12 inch thin tube to the syringe and got a lot out , went to ford dealer and got the mercon V trans fluid and re-filled with that

Didn't have to drain ours .. it drained itself. Filled it back up with Pennsoil Mercon type PS fluid. Works fine. Gone to the mechanic today for a fix. Saw the ballast is out on the neon brake light following the car. Always something with these, isn't it? One minor problem after another. Now the windshield washer quit working as well. Told him "fix it too". Not working on this one any more. Save the efforts for the Z and the D-50 ...

in our 1997 we've used off-the-shelf PS fluid with no ill effects in 86,000 miles. But it doesn't leak any either ...
See how this works? After I posted that, and it rolled over 90K miles, the PS fluid leaked out. Car to shop for repair.

Mine works great , rear neon everything’s beautiful on my lsc seems like everything day by day gets better to me.

Like to get a replacement ballast for rear neon but so far no luck ... any suggestions for source for a good one for a '97 Base model?

I’ve got a garentee working ballast but it’s a pretty penny to have the advantage of having a working neon. 300 is steep but practical since I actually wanted 400.

Members online

Back