Mark 8 rear ride height

Kevins750

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Purchased a mark 8 about a year ago and it had the typical rear bags leaking. The car would be on the ground by morning. So I bought rear bags and 2 new solenoids and had a shop install them. I went by the shop to check on the car and the rear suspension was pumped all the way up, front looked close to parked height. The mechanic tells me the ride height switch is bad, short of that is there anything else to check.
Do you need to turn off the suspension before raising the car? Is there a way to reset the height?

Thanks for any help.....

If you asking do you need to turn the suspension off before lifting or jacking up the car then the answer is yes.
As far as ‘resetting’ the height I’m not aware of a way maybe someone else will chime in?

I guess I didn't word it right.
the bags and solenoids have been installed. when I went to look at the car the rear is very tall
much taller than it should be. could the issue have been caused by him lifting the car with the
suspension switch still on? could the limit switch be bad? could the relief valve be causing
this issue? it also looks as if the drivers side in the rear is taller than the passenger side.

The OEM screw jack should be able to get underneath a slammed Mark to lift enough to get a regular jack under.

If only one end is higher, then I'd check the rear height sensor. Perhaps it got stuck or moved out of place when the rear bags were installed.

Unlike the front air ride which has individual height sensors for both Left & Right wheel, the rear only has 1 sensor that works both sides, it's behind the rear driver side tire.

rearsensordiagram-gif.gif

How to Lower the Lincoln Mark VIII Suspension Sensor

If the bracket moves up, the system thinks it's too high and lowers the rear.
If the bracket move down, the system thinks it's too low and raises the rear.

As for resetting the air ride height, the only way I know how is with a Rotunda II tester that can individually control the bags, but that tool can be costly. You also have the Asham-8, if it's still available that is.

if the mechanic left the system on and raised the vehicle, it may remove air thinking the car is too high, but I have forgotten to turn mine off and raised it and it didn't happen. There is no way it would put more air in the system when the wheel sensors are maxed out at max height due to car being lifted off the ground.

Members online

Back