2002 ls sport 3.9 oil on plugs threads and drip on exhaust with smoke

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
ive been in there to do a secondary timing chain and replaced those cam cover gaskets but Im smokin at the back and there is oil on my back drivers plug and other plugs show signs of oil on threads is it possible I need a head gasket or just an oem cam cover gasket kit

ive been in there to do a secondary timing chain and replaced those cam cover gaskets but Im smokin at the back and there is oil on my back drivers plug and other plugs show signs of oil on threads is it possible I need a head gasket or just an oem cam cover gasket kit

I still have a chance I noticed a grommet that is laying on the suspension ill try to reseat the gaskets on the cover and try again looks to be a plug grommet

I was told by more of a senior member that the head gaskets don't go on these any truth what im seeing is steam from the cats at times and user error like a grommet missing ??

kind of a thin silicon grommet set al dente for torque setting my 1/2 inch torque wrench from harbor is overkill any suggestions or links would be cool …..just happened to be doing a brake booster lucky for me that I can see day light there and opened my plug caps and pulled a plug to find oil …

"steam" and "white smoke" aren't exactly visually different. If it smells like burning tires, it's oil burning. Coolant smells sweet

The plug well rings fall out very easily during installation

The torque needed is in in-lbs, not ft-lbs. The wrench I have for this is 1/4" drive. Hell, my wheels only require a 3/8" torque wrench to get 100ft-lbs. There is also a sequence that you should follow to tighten it

Correct, head gasket failures are extraordinarily rare on these cars. It's much more likely you either dripped oil onto the cats and need to burn it off over a few hours or there's an active leak. Cleaning the area and inspecting later for fresh oil should help pin it down.

taking off the cam cover now im just wondering how its migrating to my threads ...any technique to bolster up those grommets ….Permatex etc.. or just a better brand that does a tighter job aftermartket std is a question

I used fel-pro. One fell out the first time. The second time, I was just more careful. I pressed them in firmly and then flipped the cover slowly. Once in place, I lifted a tiny bit to feel under and make sure they were still in place

there is a small ridge that is on the surface of the gromets in all the sets the ridge is flattened out and the grommets are getting hard like all the grommets were in I just found a loose one I was worried now im worried again cause even though new there getting hard and flattened out // these oils get newer every time some may penetrate this is a 5 /30 don't know well hell they can back a cake with good silicone these days what are they messing with real techie quest dam I might have to pay 1oo to ford just to ask … good cop bad cop duh on a thin or slippery the old ones show signs of some paintings of grey maybe the guy before me had inspiration

Is this a V8? I seem to remember the ridge of the well rings going up into the valve cover to hold them in place. Where is the "paint"? The ridged tabs on the main gasket requires a dab of RTV to seal against the timing cover seam. Please throw some punctuation in there. I don't know which "grommets" you're talking about. The plug well rings you just installed?

original plug tube gaskets had some grey on them but done very neatly I can peel it off ...the new set leaked I used some grey a bead on the bottom of the head maybe it was too much ...what about in the grooves altogether think I can use some black this time from a fresh tube and do the grooves then put in the gaskets in wait 15 then smash it on ….he ha felpro has a set ill probably just order there is also apex a few bucks more

star date : learn from experience ….old style 3/8 torq wrench with the little bar flexer had nm and inch lbs I got most of the cover and similar jobs with it just slow going but works no leaks I know its working because I was just there again through the plug tube cap all nice and dry in tubes

03726a__4.jpg

Members online

Back