Broken seatbacks

i screwed the L bracket where the old clip used to be then took it off and epoxyd it so it will stick then put the screw back in. Allowed it to dry then put electrical tape around it so there will be no metal on metal squeaks.

You mean like this:

View attachment 28648
Happened to both my front seats last summer. There is a TSB on this issue and it is due to "high ambient heat" according to the bulletin. Luckily both of mine were replaced under warranty. I hear they are over $100 a piece. Definitely a poor design.

Looking at that picture, my LS had the same problem, I went to lowes bought 2 small "L" brackets (per seat back), cut one of the legs on the L shorter and attached it to the plastic tabs with the tall part up . The tall part of the L now grabs the metal bar inside the seat better than the plastic tabs do and have had no more problems, it was a $4 fix

Does it fit nice and tight, no rattles and squeaks?

Is it a decent repair? I don't want to redneck my Lincoln if you know what I mean...

as long as you get the right size "L" bracket, and attach it in a good way, it is actually better then new

metal>plastic

this happened to my seat back as well. If your seat back still has the two hooks this is a simple fix. My seat back still had both hooks but kept on popping out. There are two plastic retaining pins on the bottom side of the seat back. They were a little worn on mine so would not hold the panel tight up against the seat.

This would result in the seat back lowering a bit which would allow the top hooks to slide out. All that i had to do was replace those two plastic pins with some i baught at autozone and the problem was fixed. This works only if you have the two hooks in tact (or even a little worn like mine were from pushing in and out).

this happened to my seat back as well. If your seat back still has the two hooks this is a simple fix. My seat back still had both hooks but kept on popping out. There are two plastic retaining pins on the bottom side of the seat back. They were a little worn on mine so would not hold the panel tight up against the seat.

This would result in the seat back lowering a bit which would allow the top hooks to slide out. All that i had to do was replace those two plastic pins with some i baught at autozone and the problem was fixed. This works only if you have the two hooks in tact (or even a little worn like mine were from pushing in and out).

Hmm...That sounds more like mine, the hooks are notbroken off but worn... I will take a picture in a little bit...

Both clips broke on my 03 LS as well on the seatback panel behind the driver's seat. I ordered one on eBay a year ago and was send the wrong seatback. Finally got around to ordering another one, this time the prices doubled to around $80. Now I'm having a problem finding a replacement retaining clip/fastener as I just posted on the forum. My car has 75k miles but I live in a hot area and have a kid who likes to kick it.

Members online

Back