Transmission Solenoid Question

UPDATE:

So been driving the past several days and noticed that I can “help” the downshift to low gear at a stop by tapping the accelerator slightly...only enough for the RPMs to barely rise...kind of a double clutch.

So, my hypothesis is that this could be a PCM issue and/or a TPS issue. Sending the PCM into SIA is probably in my future.

Other than that...it’s shifting as it should.

Does that sounds feasible?

Just periodically not fully shifting all the way down to low gear coming to a stop,

My '04 started doing this at 134k miles back in 2012 or 13. Mine would actually do a light bang/clunk as it went from 5th to first.

A new solenoid pack and fluid change fixed the problem. Now coming up on 215k, (with one more fluid change), and no further problems since.

My current LS is 2004 with 119k on it, and this thread has me paranoid

You should be. Do some preventative maintenance now... instead of waiting for it to act up.

Then again... if you aren't the original owner... the issue may have already been fixed.

Have your local dealer run the VIN # to check service records. I believe the dealerships tie to a nationwide database. OASIS ?

I changed springs, solenoids and still had problems. Changed the valve body and perfection for the next 80K miles until I sold the car.

IIRC... there was a TSB for the separator plate in the valve body for certain years. It was verified for me that the separator plate was updated at some point.

Sound like you might be low on fluid, mine did stall couple of time when it was low.

Put the car up in the air, let it run (i ran it in gear so it can warm up quicker from cold, took 15 min or so), add some oil, check the temp at the pan should be 100F (grab a laser thermometer), then let the oil drain till it starts to cut/sip (not sure the term) then you should be good on the level.

Actually ... according to the manual... the fluid temp range is 80-120F.

I did some research on the factory fill tool. Not the nipple, but the fluid fill/evacuator. The factory part # is DSA- something... but when I saw a pic of it... it looked very familiar.

https://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-7201.aspx

It holds 8.3 quarts... and the fluid is forced in under air pressure, (30 psi max). Then as the fluid hits temp... it will trickle out of the nipple and back into the fill tool. Then you apply a vacuum to the fill tool... (using a vacuum hand pump), and it will draw any excess fluid back out... putting the fluid level exactly at the top of the drain/fill plug.

Last edited:
Thanks, low fluid had crossed my mind. When I filled it, I pumped almost 7 quarts into the case. Ran the car till hot and the fluid was only dripping out of the nipple. I didn't do the vacuum pump part...maybe I'm slightly low?

Usually that trans takes around 8-8.5 quarts. More if you take the time to blow out the trans cooler. Even more if you have one of the ones with a torque converter drain plug.

So yeah... yours probably needs topped off. Maybe more than you think.

Usually that trans takes around 8-8.5 quarts. More if you take the time to blow out the trans cooler. Even more if you have one of the ones with a torque converter drain plug.

So yeah... yours probably needs topped off. Maybe more than you think.
I didn't touch the torque converter nor the trans cooler...I just dropped the pan to change the solenoid (all while cursing the engineer(s) who designed the connector bolt.

I didn't touch the torque converter nor the trans cooler...I just dropped the pan to change the solenoid (all while cursing the engineer(s) who designed the connector bolt.

To be fair, I'm sure the priority he/she was given was for assembly, with very little allowance for repair. After all,there are some things that require removing the engine and/or transmission to work on. We all seem to accept most of that as just the way it has to be...

Thanks, low fluid had crossed my mind.
Hesitation between gears could be:

*Lack of hydraulic pressure
*Worn or broken transmission bands
*Worn out gears
*Torque converter issues
*Low fluid levels
*Burnt fluid
*Clutch problems
*Solenoid Problems

You got the 'stalled' and hesitation on down shift' after you did the work. By process of elimination, I am suspecting its a fault with something you replaced, i.e, fluid or solenoid. I would hazard a guess that the fluid level is your culprit.

Connector bolt is very easy to get to, support the back of the tranny with a jack, unbolt the rear mount bracket and maybe the driveshaft center bearing bolts too, lower it few inches and it can be easily accessed.

Yeah. That's pretty much the same procedure for adjusting the DTR... and it turns out there is a special tool for that too.... but I haven't looked that one up yet.

WOOHOO!!!!

I wanted to give you all a result because many times I see people post problems but rarely resolution.

On the way home I picked up a couple more quarts of Mercon V from the Ford Dealership.

At home, I jacked up the car and pumped 1 1/2 quarts in and then ran through the gears several times....lowered the car, took it for a spin and it shifts like it had 24k miles, not 240k miles. (I know that isn’t technically by the book but at least I know that the issue was fluid level related.)

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Now over to the steering wheel...lol

Members online

Back