Rebuilding the 2001 LS 3.9L V8 - Assembly!

Gearheadloco

LVC Member
Reaction score
HeyJewel and his work on his V6 has gotten me inspired to continue with my 2001 LS V8 re-build. This poor engine was driven with too little oil by the previous owner - several connecting rod bearings "spun" around the crankshaft and deeply scored the original crank - plus it filled the oil pan with a sparkling array of metal shards that got into EVERYTHING so this engine really needed a full rebuild - at least the bottom end. As you may know this engine was built by Ford to a Jaguar design, and oddly enough Ford never expected Ford technicians to do what I and my buddy the machinist are doing, as there are no instructions on bottom-end rebuilding in the LS service manual Ford put out in 2001. So I'm treating the engine like an early 4.0 L Jaguar S-type engine (which it almost is) and have found that the connecting rod and main bearings from the 4.0L Jag fit just fine in the 3.9L Ford.

Terry's Jaguar Parts is your friend if you ever attempt to do this yourself.

Jaguar Parts, Jaguar Accessories All Jaguars

These Jag enthusiasts have the connecting rod, crankshaft and thrust bearings for the early S-type. The also have connecting rod cap bolts which are torque-to-yield (TTY) and should only be used once. The head bolts are also TTY, but are available from several mainstream engine rebuild parts suppliers - RockAuto being my favorite. Rings are available from Mahle, but good luck with crankshafts, pistons and connecting rods... they will have to come from a dismantler if you need replacements. In my case I actually ended up re-using "used" connecting rod and crankshaft main and thrust bearings from a used Jag 4.0L motor since they were in excellent shape on a low mileage motor... if they spec out, are clean and not full of metal shards as my old ones were, it's safe to re-use provided the spec out when you 1) put them in the block and torque to spec (without the crankshaft) and then 2) measure their diameter carefully. Most of the other bolts in the bottom end of the Ford 3.9L/Jag 4.0L engine aren't TTY - but Jag does suggest they be re-used just once, and should be marked in some way so that they aren't used a third time in a later rebuild.

I did manage to find a Ford 3.9L crankshaft from a dismantler in Texas, and after polishing it up it specs out just fine. So some pictures -

The car is in great shape for a 2001 - giving it to my son when done -
IMG_20170715_224811.jpg

The engine bay without the engine is a roomy place -
IMG_20171004_212107.jpg

Here's the block bolted together with used (but nice) 2000 Jaguar S-type crankshaft bearings installed - we're going to see if it all specs correctly -

IMG_20171004_210529.jpg

Here's the used crankshaft all the way from Texas back from the machine shop for polishing - now to measure and make sure all is still well -
IMG_20171004_210427.jpg

With the crankshaft and used (but re-ringed) pistons - also from Texas in the engine it's time for the first head -

1127171807a.jpg

Here's a another view with the intake and exhaust camshafts installed -

1127171806a.jpg

... and now the second head goes on -

1129171825.jpg

So this is where we are today -

1129171824.jpg

1129171824b.jpg

So now its time to install the timing gears and chains ... hopefully I will not need the specialized tools the manual calls out for this process. If necessary, we will improvise, which seems to be a requirement when re-building these Anglo-American engines!

Stay tuned and get prepared - when it's all back together I'm giving it a retro Lincoln V-8 paint job like this before it goes back in the car. Why paint a 2001 Jaguar/Lincoln/Ford 3.9L V8 the same color as a cast iron 1953 Lincoln? Why the hell not?

maxresdefault.jpg

It's also possible to get parts direct from England or deal with sources here in the USA that deal with England. Good luck---I look forward to seeing this project completed.

KS

HeyJewel and his work on his V6 has gotten me inspired to continue with my 2001 LS V8 re-build. This poor engine was driven with too little oil by the previous owner - several connecting rod bearings "spun" around the crankshaft and deeply scored the original crank - plus it filled the oil pan with a sparkling array of metal shards that got into EVERYTHING so this engine really needed a full rebuild - at least the bottom end.

Glad to serve as inspiration! Might be first time.

Yeah I've had my share of problems getting pparts. The one that bothers me the most is not being able to get a set of 4 timing guides. So there's a new chain running on old guides. Crossing fingers on that one.

Any case kudos to you and wow what a clean shop. Could eat off the floor. Mine is a nasty mess.

Good pictures, good job and good luck!

HeyJewel and his work on his V6 has gotten me inspired to continue with my 2001 LS V8 re-build. This poor engine was driven with too little oil by the previous owner - several connecting rod bearings "spun" around the crankshaft and deeply scored the original crank - plus it filled the oil pan with a sparkling array of metal shards that got into EVERYTHING so this engine really needed a full rebuild - at least the bottom end. As you may know this engine was built by Ford to a Jaguar design, and oddly enough Ford never expected Ford technicians to do what I and my buddy the machinist are doing, as there are no instructions on bottom-end rebuilding in the LS service manual Ford put out in 2001. So I'm treating the engine like an early 4.0 L Jaguar S-type engine (which it almost is) and have found that the connecting rod and main bearings from the 4.0L Jag fit just fine in the 3.9L Ford.

Terry's Jaguar Parts is your friend if you ever attempt to do this yourself.

Jaguar Parts, Jaguar Accessories All Jaguars

These Jag enthusiasts have the connecting rod, crankshaft and thrust bearings for the early S-type. The also have connecting rod cap bolts which are torque-to-yield (TTY) and should only be used once. The head bolts are also TTY, but are available from several mainstream engine rebuild parts suppliers - RockAuto being my favorite. Rings are available from Mahle, but good luck with crankshafts, pistons and connecting rods... they will have to come from a dismantler if you need replacements. In my case I actually ended up re-using "used" connecting rod and crankshaft main and thrust bearings from a used Jag 4.0L motor since they were in excellent shape on a low mileage motor... if they spec out, are clean and not full of metal shards as my old ones were, it's safe to re-use provided the spec out when you 1) put them in the block and torque to spec (without the crankshaft) and then 2) measure their diameter carefully. Most of the other bolts in the bottom end of the Ford 3.9L/Jag 4.0L engine aren't TTY - but Jag does suggest they be re-used just once, and should be marked in some way so that they aren't used a third time in a later rebuild.

I did manage to find a Ford 3.9L crankshaft from a dismantler in Texas, and after polishing it up it specs out just fine. So some pictures -

The car is in great shape for a 2001 - giving it to my son when done -
View attachment 828567997

The engine bay without the engine is a roomy place -
View attachment 828567998

Here's the block bolted together with used (but nice) 2000 Jaguar S-type crankshaft bearings installed - we're going to see if it all specs correctly -

View attachment 828567999

Here's the used crankshaft all the way from Texas back from the machine shop for polishing - now to measure and make sure all is still well -
View attachment 828568000

With the crankshaft and used (but re-ringed) pistons - also from Texas in the engine it's time for the first head -

View attachment 828568001

Here's a another view with the intake and exhaust camshafts installed -

View attachment 828568002

... and now the second head goes on -

View attachment 828568003

So this is where we are today -

View attachment 828568005
View attachment 828568006
So now its time to install the timing gears and chains ... hopefully I will not need the specialized tools the manual calls out for this process. If necessary, we will improvise, which seems to be a requirement when re-building these Anglo-American engines!

Stay tuned and get prepared - when it's all back together I'm giving it a retro Lincoln V-8 paint job like this before it goes back in the car. Why paint a 2001 Jaguar/Lincoln/Ford 3.9L V8 the same color as a cast iron 1953 Lincoln? Why the hell not?

View attachment 828568004
Great work bro. How is the car running?? Would you say that the jaguar crankshaft rod bearing do work for the LS now that the job is actually done?

We have a 2000 LS 3.0 V6 with the 5-speed Manual trans. Pretty car. Money pit, though. It seems as the OP says, Ford didn't expect anyone to rebuild this colossal waste of money. Since the Main and Rod bearing caps all use "torque-to-yield" bolts, you're expected to just throw them out and replace with new. However, ordering all those bolts for mains and rods is gonna set you back over $400. Anyone know of a kit that includes all the required new hardware?

To the best of my knowledge Ford sells everything "by the piece". They don't do kits, or assemblies. So you just order how many of whatever you need, (if they are still in stock).

Members online

Back