The Best Factory Door Speakers

Mr.Howie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
There seems to be two types of factory door speakers on the Lincoln LS.

A two way speaker (midrange & tweeter) in a plastic enclosure with an integrated crossover (Alpine and THX systems have this one).

A one way full range speaker with no crossover. (Also comes on Alpine systems).

Some people automatically assume that the factory speakers in any car are junk. Not so. Ford has made decent door speakers for years. I have upgraded some Chryslers with ford speakers, but why? They're just better.

What's the difference?

The two way Alpine/THX speaker has a very clear and accurate sound, but like all speakers that pose as high end speakers they are not efficient and they have very little bass response. They eat Watts for breakfast! You need a very powerful amp to drive them. As a result, Ford put all the Bass though the subwoofer system. When you listen to your home stereo is the bass player behind you or in front of you. When music is mixed the Bass player and drum kick is usually in the middle or off center.

The one way full range speaker has very high efficiency and good response at all frequencies. They just don't handle frequencies below 60 Hz at very high power. Here is where we set the rear subwoofer system to work at 80Hz and below and cut front door speakers at 40Hz. These speakers work extremely well in the LS. And the bass is even and stays all in the middle.

Just one problem, water gets on the front door speakers, then they start buzzing when the cones warp. Lincoln forgot to drill a drain hole, don't believe me, take the rear speakers out and look at the drain hole.

Drill the drain hole on the front speakers in the spot where it looks like a hole should be there (use 1/4" drill bit) then vacuum the metal chips.

Setting up a system, use the Ford part #XW7F-18808-BB or use the older Ford Premium full range speaker and change the connector.

And before all you "high end" guys start cutting this post apart, might want to listen to the system in my Silver LS. RollinLS heard it, ask him.

Mr. Howie

DSC04559.jpg

DSC04556.jpg

Howies OEM speakers are SICK sounding. I couldn't believe they were factory. Absolutely shocked. I have competed in and won stereo contest. I have NEVER heard OEM system sound so clean and crisp. The responds and sound is unreal. factory speakers are not suppose to sound that good.:eek:

I am interested in hearing them play. It may be an answer for someone who is on a major budget and wants to improve sound imaging(staging) without spending top coin on higher power amplified sound.

Interesting post. My Navigator had the same THX speakers in the rear doors. If you want to make an offer, I may be willing to part with them. (The front door speakers were more of a component design. There are dedicated tweeters I pulled out with them.)

I am interested in hearing them play. It may be an answer for someone who is on a major budget and wants to improve sound imaging(staging) without spending top coin on higher power amplified sound.

Come to the LS meet in June and hear them. UNREAL!!!!:eek:

Come to the LS meet in June and hear them. UNREAL!!!!:eek:

LOL...I hear u Rollin. It all just comes down to if all of my projects on the car are done by then. I should...should....be in good shape.

Howies OEM speakers are SICK sounding. I couldn't believe they were factory. Absolutely shocked. I have competed in and won stereo contest. I have NEVER heard OEM system sound so clean and crisp. The responds and sound is unreal. factory speakers are not suppose to sound that good.:eek:

Thats why we love the THX system.

Guess who makes the THX components.

Pioneer?

I guess my next question is how well the speakers hold up if one chose to put a 110x4 amp on them. I know the rms rating would be much lower but if the speakers hold up, it could save a lot on higher end components. I cannot help but thinking of someone like the newer younger member who has a thread on looking for a head unit. This would be ideal for him and many others who may want higher end sound and do not have higher end bugets.

I think the most i would send to each speaker is 50rms and crossed over.

I have all the low freq's turned down on my amp and let my 10" sub in the trunk handle the lows.

The THX system sounds almost absurdly good for a stock sound system. While I could never call myself and audiophile I have dabbled in high end audio equipment; you'd be really hard pressed to justify upgrading the THX system with anything but a dedicated subwoofer and even that is only if you're an insatiable bass-head. The rear deck 6x9 have VERY impressive bass response, although a bit lacking in sub bas which is understandable. Overall though, very good soundstage, clarity, bass presence.

It's funny that you guys are giving the THX system such praise... it has been the BIGGEST headache in my Navigator... and yes my LS has the THX system as well.

I loved the way the system in my truck sounded. So much so, that i was willing to go without upgrading to the speakers I had. Then I found out no one made a harness for my truck. Apparently it's amp uses a special signal from the radio that cannot be duplicated, and ALL 4 speakers were amplified. So to swap out my radio I had to also swap out all my speakers anyway, AND run wires to (and into) each door to the speakers. BIG PAIN.

I agree, the system sounds great... but I would not say it was better than my aftermarket component system.

The premium sound system is the mid-point between the basic (no rear deck subs) and the THX system that came in the Elite/Ultimate option packages.

While I thought that the factory system sounded pretty good (much better than any other factory system I had heard up to that point), I felt that my system sounded much better after I upgraded to aftermarket. My upgrade was in 2 phases - the first phase was installing an aftermarket NAV unit and using the OEM speakers. That alone was an improvement in sound due to the better built-in amplifier of the NAV head unit (the sub amp/rear deck subs were still being used). The second phase of the upgrade was where my sound quality really improved over that of the factory system. I upgraded/replaced all of the speakers in the car. The doors received Infinity Kappa 6x8 components in the front, and Infinity Kappa 6x8 coaxials in the rear driven by an Alpine PDX amp. That provided the same number of speakers in the doors that the OEM system had - but much better imaging and clarity due the better components, and the front tweeters being mounted in the door sail panels. The rear deck subs/amp were disconnected, and were replaced with 2 Alpine Type R 10" subs, driven by a Kicker 750 Watt amp. 1LoudLS helped me install the subs/amp wiring, as well as the initial sub tuning/eq. I can tell you that the factory sound of the premium system paled in comparison to the result.

Granted, I know that there are definitely better system installations out there in other LVC'er's LS' than what I have but I was able to achieve far better sound with minimal spending (already had the all 4 Ininity speakers and Alpine amp). Everybody has to work with what is available to them, and some may only be able to run the factory system. However, my post here is to provide some experience that you can incrementally improve the sound quality by upgrading your system in phases. For this to be possible, you need to start with the head unit. If you upgrade the speakers first, they will not sound as good because the stock amplifiers (non-THX) won't have enough power to effectively drive them.

If you really want help/advice from an expert, talk to 1LoudLS. He eats/breathes this stuff everyday because he's a professional car audio installer.

Nice job on what you've done with just a factory system, Howie. It shows that it's possible to get decent sound out of what came with the car.

So are the stock Subs in the 12 speaker set up 10s? I was thinking about putting 12s in a box in the trunk, but if those are tens I could just put some beefier ones in there and a better amp. Thoughts? Also, the setup with the 6 cd changer and the 12 speakers is alpine?

The subs are 6x9's actually, be nice if they were "normal" sized subs. I think it might just be an amplified midwoofer though. You could modify to fit two 8's in there? Maybe? You're easiest bet for a skosche more bass is to add a LOC to an a/m amp and sub.

The subs are 6x9's actually, be nice if they were "normal" sized subs. I think it might just be an amplified midwoofer though. You could modify to fit two 8's in there? Maybe? You're easiest bet for a skosche more bass is to add a LOC to an a/m amp and sub.

Ah damn that sucks. Well Ill probably just go with the box and 12s option then lol. I'm really quite impressed with the stock speakers and really dont think Ill change them out. I'm sure the head unit isnt exactly putting out high quality sound either, so once I replace that I'm hoping they will sound even better. I'm pretty obsessed with audio quality... and bass (my home system moves worlds ;p)

I went a couple weeks without my system hooked up and the rear deck subs unplugged. When I plugged them back in I was blown away by the awesomeness of the stock system. Then like everything else, if some is good, more is better.

excuse the dumb question but do all ls's with navigation come with the THX system?

excuse the dumb question but do all ls's with navigation come with the THX system?

They sure do

I went a couple weeks without my system hooked up and the rear deck subs unplugged. When I plugged them back in I was blown away by the awesomeness of the stock system. Then like everything else, if some is good, more is better.

Haha I feel that. If I can I want to keep the back deck speakers and install subs. Since the back deck speakers seem to be running off some amps I dont think that would be a problem. I know Ill lose the center console speakers but whatever. They arent doing much anyway lol

The one way full range speaker has very high efficiency and good response at all frequencies. They just don't handle frequencies below 60 Hz at very high power. Here is where we set the rear subwoofer system to work at 80Hz and below and cut front door speakers at 40Hz. These speakers work extremely well in the LS. And the bass is even and stays all in the middle.

I'm an audio n00b, so this is probably a trivial question for most, but what was used to set the sub frequencies and door speaker frequencies? And can it be done while keeping the OEM headunit?

Yeah what he said... looks like I get to pull the speakers out to see where I'm putting that hole because I have that exact buzzing sound coming from the front. Question is once it starts buzzing is it salvagable or do I need to replace the speaker?

I’m not an audiophile and looking to boost my sound on the cheap. I’m a little confused by this.

Is this simply replacing all door two-way Alpine speakers with full-range THX system door speakers (XW7F-18808-BB)? Just drill holes for front set and plug and play?

I guess I’m confused with the cutting doors at 40HZ and setting rear at 80HZ. Is it just swap out speakers, or does this require a head unit with ability to control speaker range? I ask because I have an 02 with Alpine system.

Bump. Anyone? Is it just putting in XWZF-18808-BB speakers?

Members online

No members online now.
Back