Follow up to my Interior Build

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have finally completed my interior. I have chosen to paint some parts so as to match the stock cup holder that is flat black. Black carbon fiber is used to accent the stock black. So no more silver bits, all painted/covered. I installed a touch screen pioneer deck, as well external amps (in trunk).
Here it is:

ls interior.png

ls interior 3.png

lincoln ls interior 5.png

ls interior 2.png

Looks nice, maybe some daylight pics too?

Sure! Give me a day or so, id like to clean up and detail it now that the interior work is done.

Here's one I took for now. Please excuse the dirty carpets, I only just finished it last night.

IMG-20190613-WA0020.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice. :cool: Those door handle escutcheons had to be a PITA.

Since I've never fully seen a black interior... what all did you hit with the flat/matte black, (besides the shifter bezel)?

Thanks for all the compliments fellas.

Very nice. :cool: Those door handle escutcheons had to be a PITA.

Since I've never fully seen a black interior... what all did you hit with the flat/matte black, (besides the shifter bezel)?

Yeah the door handles we're a PITA. Worth it tho. I like the transition, feels different. I personally prefer a dark interior so this made my car feel more sportier.

I hit the main vent, climate control, and Ash tray all with Matt black and flat clear.

I didn't take a before picture, but since it was stock, I'll show you a stock photo of before, and after I did the work.

Screenshot_2019-06-13-13-06-44-040_com.android.chrome.png

IMG-20190613-WA0020.jpeg

That's what I thought. So now for the trick question. I know the vents can be disassembled... so painting that bezel is easy enough... but how in the heck did you do the face for the climate contols?

Just watch what you snap... right? :eek:

Sigh... I have some sort of Chrysler Taupe I used on my speaker grills that is close to the LS dark stone, (depending on the light). I may try the center console when I have time.

... but how in the heck did you do the face for the climate contols?
If it's like other climate controls I have worked on (haven't messed with an LS one so far), then just some snaps and some screws.

Ok so this one..

PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!
So when taking it apart I the thought the faceplate would just pop off... WRONG. The face does comes off, along with the display piece, and all the buttons still on it. I was able to unscrew the circuit board, but the buttons cannot come out (easily). I studied it, used my tools, and tried everything I could - but could not figure out how to remove the buttons. I was only able to pop out the up/down buttons with small flat head screw drivers. The rest? Time consuming tape masking...

As for those tiny clear lights above each button, those don't come out. And you can't mask them. So using a small sharp swiss army knife, I scraped the paint off the clear plastic. Doing it carefully leaves no scratches or damage. Then just blasted it with the clear coat. Light shines thru perfect, no paint on them, looks mint.

IIRC all of my push buttons popped out easily. I thought they fell out on their own once I removed the face's individual PCB. I only left the rockers in place. I'm sure I could have popped them out in hindsight, but I did my LED color swap a few years ago (and with less skill/knowledge).

The body has several screws holding the face plate to the body. Taking those out lets you take off the face plate as you release all the snap tabs and apply light but steady pressure to keep them from re-snapping. The face plate has a circuit board screwed to it, which has a soldered ribbon cable attaching it to the main PCB. Taking out the screws lets you take out the display/button PCB and the full width rubber button pad

Yes I did all of that, but the buttons themselves are pressed in and clipped in. None of my tools were able to aid me, and I didn't want to risk pressing hard on them in fear of breaking what holds them in. They dont fall out. The up/down ones are held in by small pins on both sides of the buttons that allow it to swivel. These can be released using flat head screw drivers and prying back the tiny plastic that hold them in.

The buttons themselves have a clear base that is square, which press against the rubber pad. Similar to that of membrane keyboards. I couldn't identify what holds them in, so I just masked them. Took me 35 - 45 minutes to mask.

Last edited:
So I have finally completed my interior. I have chosen to paint some parts so as to match the stock cup holder that is flat black. Black carbon fiber is used to accent the stock black. So no more silver bits, all painted/covered. I installed a touch screen pioneer deck, as well external amps (in trunk).
Here it is:

View attachment 828572025

How did you do the door handle? Mine has a piece chipped out and I'd like to replace it /paint it but it appears to be rivoted in.

How did you do the door handle? Mine has a piece chipped out and I'd like to replace it /paint it but it appears to be rivoted in.

I heated the wrap to allow it to flex before pressing it in. I cut sections for the left and right inner side of the handle, then overlapped on the inside. no visible seems and carbon fiber hides seems well.

hard to explain, ill try and take a pic and get back to you.

The bezel pops right out. Sounds like you're talking about the handle itself, which is riveted. You'd have to drill out the rivets, replace/repair, then rivet or bolt it back in. If it's riveted, I'd bet it's the original handle, of which I'd probably wait until it inevitably breaks from normal usage

The bezel pops right out. Sounds like you're talking about the handle itself, which is riveted. You'd have to drill out the rivets, replace/repair, then rivet or bolt it back in. If it's riveted, I'd bet it's the original handle, of which I'd probably wait until it inevitably breaks from normal usage

Ah I read his comment way too late at night and missed the rivet part.
I drilled out the rivets. There are bolts on the back of it, so its enough to hold the piece in place.

Very nice job. Where did you get the carbon fiber wrap? Any tricks to keep the wrap from bunching up when putting it on thr parts? I have been having problems with bunching wrap, I tried a hair dryer, but its a bit of a pain.

Very nice job. Where did you get the carbon fiber wrap? Any tricks to keep the wrap from bunching up when putting it on thr parts? I have been having problems with bunching wrap, I tried a hair dryer, but its a bit of a pain.

Wrap I got from Amazon.
The center console should be easy to do, its mostly a flat surface. The doors however you need to make cuts and overlap on the inside so the seems aren't noticeable. I used my friends heat gun (they do vinyl wrapping for a living).

PAIN IN THE ASS!!!!!!!!!
So when taking it apart I the thought the faceplate would just pop off... WRONG. The face does comes off, along with the display piece, and all the buttons still on it. I was able to unscrew the circuit board, but the buttons cannot come out (easily). I studied it, used my tools, and tried everything I could - but could not figure out how to remove the buttons. I was only able to pop out the up/down buttons with small flat head screw drivers. The rest? Time consuming tape masking...

As for those tiny clear lights above each button, those don't come out. And you can't mask them. So using a small sharp swiss army knife, I scraped the paint off the clear plastic. Doing it carefully leaves no scratches or damage. Then just blasted it with the clear coat. Light shines thru perfect, no paint on them, looks mint.
I actually just wrapped my radio climate controls, and vent. And yes, climate controls took some masking tape and a sharp razor knife to cut out the lighted areas. I will try to get some daylight pics tomorrow. Am getting used to doing wrap, didnt know b4, which explains the dumb question. Oh well, gotta learn somehow.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back