CV Half Axle boot

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Now, for the next issue....

I noticed I was riding a bit rough suspension wise the last couple of days and I took off the rear wheel to take a looksy and noticed my stabilizer bar link was in need of replacement. It is still connected but the top swivel part is broken.

I then noticed that there was grease around the knuckle and saw that the CV boot, closest to the wheel, was torn. Looking inside, there is still a lot of grease in there and I pumped a little more in just in case.

Is there a way to replace the rubber boot or another option to keep the grease in and protect the mechanism? I don't really want to change out the whole CV just for the boot.

Awesome, thanks!!!

I also saw this video that seems to be a bit more involved. The link you posted seems more efficient.

If it’s not one thing, it’s another, right?

At least I can do it when I fix the broken sway bar link.

Yeah... you'll probably have some down time waiting for the cement to dry. Just be patient... before you start packing it full of grease. If you have the time... let the cement dry overnight.

There's also a special tool :rolleyes: for the clamps... but if you're careful... side cut pliers work too. It's a matter of hooking the tabs and crimping it.

By the time you finish, you'll probably wish you just got a new axle assembly. Split boots (to me) seem to make as much sense as a head gasket in a can.

If done properly it should hold up. Can't say I blame rgorke for not wanting to spend a couple hours doing an R&R on an axle shaft, (and that's if nothing is froze up). Especially if the joint is still tight.

Members online

No members online now.
Back