Jag Steering wheel.

HyeLifeLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I changed my steering wheel to the one from jaguar s-type, the wood a little differs but overall it feels very very nice. The airbag has the exact same part numbers so they are interchangable.

Here are some pictures.

jag2.JPG

jag3.JPG

jag1.JPG

DSC03667.JPG

DSC03670.JPG

Looks good Artur. Have you figured out if the seats etc. are interchangable?

I haven't checked, but I am sure that the front seats are interchangable, if the rear ones are too, then it would be really nice to put some of the jag's sport seats.

How difficult was it to switch the steering wheel? Cost? Did you do it yourself?

I am not a big fan of the wood almost anywhere, however if you are a wood fan then that really would compleate the package. Looks great.
Eamonn

hyelife, i have a feeling that somewhere down the road you will own a jag. you want those jag rims sooo bad, u got the wheel, dont u have something else thats jag. Love it. Looks great. what did it cost.

i know... you might as well buy a Jag... i like the swap but the wood dont match at all and why would you want a Jag logo in your LS? you gotta keep the Lincoln cross... your cars a poser now haha jp

I really like the S-type. I love the way it looks, not nessecerably better than the LS, just different style. I have looked at them about 4 times at different dealers, new and used, but every time I get inside I do not feel like driving it, probably because it reminds me of an LS. I wouldn't mind buying an S-type R, but the regular ones are not worth of changing the LS to.

About the emblem, I'll think something about it. Now I am thinking of having made a custom center console for my LS, with a different material, because the stock one is way too noisy and it drives me crazy.

I paid $145 for the steering wheel (ebay), it was taken off of a Jag when the car was new and it wasn't used. It is in very nice condition, except the wood has couple of little scratches. The airbag I got from ebay also and paid $182 for it, it is perfect, the leather on it is just like new.

The steering wheel is direct fit, the bottons are a little different (radio controls on the left, cruise on the right), so I put the ones from the LS wheel, they are interchangable. The only thing that I had to modify is the rear plastic part of the Jag's wheel. The hole that it had was a little smaller so I had to enlarge it. The airbag is exactly the same as the LS's airbag, just the cover is different.

So, it costed me $327 and I installed it myself.

Well at least you didn't put the Jaguar emblem on the hood. I know a dude here who put a chrome jaguar hood emblem on his Sable. It's horrid!!

Resurrecting a very old thread...

I recently acquired a NOS Jag S type steering wheel with new control switches. As mentioned above the controls are opposite of our LS. Could there be a simple modification of the connector or something that would switch the controls? Maybe even longer leads that connect the controls to the PCB board under the horn bracket?

Jag wheel.jpg

Assuming hyelife only swapped the button portion and not the pcb, then you'd have to clip and run the wires to the other side and connect them the same way.

I'm looking over various wheels on ebay. It looks like the gen 2 LS changed the PCB socket to a wired plug that leaves the wheel. I can't readily find a clear picture, but it doesn't look to be the same connector. I wonder if the entire pcb could simply be swapped out if that's the case

Gen 2 S-type seems to have subtle differences with all the components

... It looks like the gen 2 LS changed the PCB socket to a wired plug that leaves the wheel. I can't readily find a clear picture, but it doesn't look to be the same connector...

I not really sure what you are saying there. The only real difference that I recall between the 1st and 2nd gen steering wheel keypads are the resistor values used for the buttons. That means they can't be swapped, but I think the connectors are the same.

I don’t remember exactly what I did but I think you can just unbolt the whole button wiring out of LS wheel and put it on Jag wheel, no mods needed. It was super simple.

I still have the wheel/airbag if someone wants it.

Resurrecting a very old thread...

I recently acquired a NOS Jag S type steering wheel with new control switches. As mentioned above the controls are opposite of our LS. Could there be a simple modification of the connector or something that would switch the controls? Maybe even longer leads that connect the controls to the PCB board under the horn bracket?

View attachment 828571907

I realize I didn't specify I meant the main connection to the clockspring

Gen 1 (charcoal) with main socket on PCB, matching the gen 1 Jag
s-l1600.jpg

gen 2 (black) with main plug wired to pcb
s-l1600.jpg

Looks good Artur. Have you figured out if the seats etc. are interchangable?

Front are with mods, rears no, the buttom part of narrower few inches and the back parts will but u need to change the locking assembly from Jaguar to LS as it is different (one the bracket is vertical and other is horizontal so they don’t work)

Yes, the airbag connection (including clockspring) is different since the 2nd gen is two stage.

I have swapped in a 1st gen steering wheel on a 2nd gen LS, but I did change all the guts and airbag. I only used the actual wheel.

A couple of things...I did switch out the PCB from my existing Gen 2 steering wheel because it doesn't have the connector (red arrow) in the picture. I plan on swinging by a yard today to grab a Gen 1 connector for the PCB to the clock spring. I am thinking it would not be too difficult to solder some wire to extend from the leads from the PCB to the controls (yellow and green arrows). Having experience building and modifying guitar tube amps makes this pretty easy for me.

The main challenge is the air bag. My Jag wheel appears to be a Gen 1 with only one connector from the clock spring to the air bag. I have a Gen 2 car with the two connector air bag that is in both the post 2003 Jag and Lincoln. Unless a Gen 2 Jag air bag fits better than the Lincoln air bag on the steering wheel, it seems as though the only option is to load a Gen 2 air bag into a Gen 1 air bag cover. I don't think using a Gen 1 connector with a Gen 2 clock spring would work, would it?

Jag wheel2.jpg

Jag wheel2.jpg

03 plus jags have different steering wheel and airbag with a different tread on the hole, i had an S-type R wheel with airbag but it didnt fit.

Yes, the airbag connection (including clockspring) is different since the 2nd gen is two stage.

I have swapped in a 1st gen steering wheel on a 2nd gen LS, but I did change all the guts and airbag. I only used the actual wheel.

Whatever he said.

This will work if you switch your get 2 airbag in jag 00-02 airbag carrier.

I picked up a air bag cover from my closest pick a part. They don't let you but the air bags so my only option was switching the bag and actuator (is that the right term?) my current LS cover to the Jag cover. Not a difficult switcheroo. I still need to do some surgery to the Jag shroud at the rear to cut off the lip. I just switched my LS shroud to the Jag wheel.

The reason for doing this is that the leather on my LS wheel is getting a little tired on the edges. Not ripped yet but just starting to crack. The "tan" color of the steering wheel matches the "medium light stone" of the LS interior piece quite well.

I'll post a picture shortly...

Looks good. Wish LS had options when it came to wood design and color. That Jag wheel has a better quality feel to it then the LS wheel especially the airbag in leather.

A sport steering without wood would be pretty cool.

Looks good. Wish LS had options when it came to wood design and color. That Jag wheel has a better quality feel to it then the LS wheel especially the airbag in leather.

A sport steering without wood would be pretty cool.

I totally agree. The airbag for the Jag IS leather but the Lincoln is faux something...the Jag emblem is much more subtle than the Lincoln badge. I have always preferred the look of the Gen 1 airbag to the Gen 2.

Even the leather on the Jag wheel feels higher quality.

Too bad the “wood” dash inserts don’t match. I intended to swipe the gear shift from the Jag but that was gone.

Members online

Back