Sport Shock Alternatives

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know that the rear sport shocks for the LS are discontinued. I have also read all about the Jag Bilstein alternative.

I was looking around this evening and found that the sport shock 18125-BA for the LS is the same number for the 2006+ Mustang GT shocks.

Could it be possible that the Mustang shocks 6R3Z-18125-BA could fit the LS and replace 4W4Z-18125-BA? Or do I have wishful thinking and the first 4 digits completely change the part?

2006 Ford Mustang Rear Springs and Shock Absorbers

The first four digits completely change the part. But, might be entertaining to buy one and see how close it is!

No, seriously, won't work.
The first section identifies the chassis/platform the part is for. That's why some of the LS parts have a "4" if they're only for certain years or a "X" if for all years. Or something like that.
The second section is the part description. So 18125 just means "rear shock".
The third section is the revision or variation. Typical parts will just be an AA, then they change it if there's a design change. Parts that have variants - like shock valving, spring rates, alternator output, etc - have different third segments to identify which option package they go with.

That way the good parts counter guys can literally guess the correct part number if they know what you're looking for and the platform designation.

Aw shucks!!!!

I thought that might be too easy. I had thought about going to a yard and pulling a couple of Mustang rear shocks and springs to see how they compared.

The fronts look totally different with the bracket that has two mount points rather than one at the end.

maxresdefault.jpg
View attachment 828571864
The first four digits completely change the part. But, might be entertaining to buy one and see how close it is!

No, seriously, won't work.
The first section identifies the chassis/platform the part is for. That's why some of the LS parts have a "4" if they're only for certain years or a "X" if for all years. Or something like that.
The second section is the part description. So 18125 just means "rear shock".
The third section is the revision or variation. Typical parts will just be an AA, then they change it if there's a design change. Parts that have variants - like shock valving, spring rates, alternator output, etc - have different third segments to identify which option package they go with.

That way the good parts counter guys can literally guess the correct part number if they know what you're looking for and the platform designation.

Additional data can be found here: Ford Part Numbering Chart

4W4Z means (4) 2004, (W4 means DEW98) or Lincoln LS, and (Z) Ford Customer Service Division Product Analysis.

Most if not all of this has been discussed in this post, especially reply #54. Shocks

Last edited:

Members online

Back