Exhaust too loud with Flowmasters

Old Blue

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Have any of you on this forum tried Hooker aero-chamber mufflers on your dual exhaust Mark VIIIs?
Ron

Hmmm! Evidently not.
Their ad claims nearly OEM exhaust sound with better performance.
Ro

I converted my stock '97 mufflers to a pair of, 2-1/2" inlet and outlet, Magnaflow 11376 straight through mufflers and I claim to have nearly OEM exhaust sound except when I stomp on the gas. I noticed better performance too. I sometimes get compliments on the sound when I'm at the gas station.

My other muffler choice would have been the Borla ProXS. But the exhaust would have been a bit louder than the Magnaflow.

I converted my stock '97 mufflers to a pair of, 2-1/2" inlet and outlet, Magnaflow 11376 straight through mufflers and I claim to have nearly OEM exhaust sound except when I stomp on the gas. I noticed better performance too. I sometimes get compliments on the sound when I'm at the gas station.

My other muffler choice would have been the Borla ProXS. But the exhaust would have been a bit louder than the Magnaflow.

Thanks for your reply 97 octane. Our main concern is the loud drone noise between 1500-2000 rpm with the Flowmasters on it (we bought it that way).
I had the third cat removed and 2 1/4" duals installed, hoping that would help the drone noise, but it only lessened it some.
I had considered Magnaflows, but was told that while they would make it quieter, it wouldn't help much with the droning.
What has your experience been on the highway under 2000 rpm with the magnaflows?
Ron

Long ago, a friend of mine warned me about Flowmasters so I have never really considered them and upon hearing a set on a vehicle convinced me to go with another muffler.

As with any free-flowing muffler designs, some increase in cabin noise volume is to be expected. To counter the increased exhaust volume in my Mark, Dynamat Extreme sound deadening material was laid throughout the floorboard and in the trunk. I do not hear that annoying drone at all at any RPM and I left all factory cats untouched. That may have helped also.

Although the Magnaflows are considered mellow, you do hear more of the sweet exhaust sound out of the tailpipe at higher RPM and especially at full throttle.

I thought if you added a h-pipe or x-pipe that there wouldn't be any drone noise?

I was thinking of adding an electric switch that diverted the exhaust around the muffler and back to the actual exhaust tip, as there is room to run a second pipe. Thus the exhaust would still come out the tips (just bypass the muffler) when you wanted to hear her rumble. A driver adjustable exhaust system, just as the 2018 Mustang has.

The LSC stock exhaust is 2 inch correct?

Have any of you on this forum tried Hooker aero-chamber mufflers on your dual exhaust Mark VIIIs?
Ron
I've used the Hooker Aero-Chamber mufflers on my 1994 Crown Vic & 1996 Gran Marquis, both with 4.6 v8. No drone, cabin stays quiet, but WOT they make beautiful noise out of the tailpipe. Highly recommended. My current 1997 MK VIII has true mandrel bent dual exhaust, manifold cats only, X-pipe after transmission, PYPES Drag-Pro stainless mufflers w/stock tips that have been opened up to accept a 2.5" oval pipe. Same result as previously mentioned cars. No drone, quiet cabin, but sounds awesome from behind/outside when WOT.

I've used the Hooker Aero-Chamber mufflers on my 1994 Crown Vic & 1996 Gran Marquis, both with 4.6 v8. No drone, cabin stays quiet, but WOT they make beautiful noise out of the tailpipe. Highly recommended. My current 1997 MK VIII has true mandrel bent dual exhaust, manifold cats only, X-pipe after transmission, PYPES Drag-Pro stainless mufflers w/stock tips that have been opened up to accept a 2.5" oval pipe. Same result as previously mentioned cars. No drone, quiet cabin, but sounds awesome from behind/outside when WOT.
Thanks for that info fordknutt. I have actually held off purchasing anything so far. If my wife complains about the drone, since she is the one who normally drives it, I will try the Hookers. So, again thanks for your input.
Ron

I went with magnaflow 2.5"in/out on 2.5" trubendz dual system anticipating a supercharger becaust 11K' mountain passes. very mellow burble while around town. good sound levels on the interstate. I have regeared the rear end to 3.73 with a torsen diff. so cruise rpm is 2300. no drone. I believe the drop in exhaust gas velocity thru the system is what has lowered the sound level at cruise rpm because when I put the boot into it, the sound level is certainly there. the MF mufflers look a lot like straight thru glass packs with many many louvers on the thru pipe. works well on my '98 base.
eldest brother's '95 tbird has a new 2V engine with PI heads and a slight compression increase. he also went with the 2.5" system but different mufflers. his car has a "sharper" note to it, may be caused by the increased compression ratio and the Y tube after the third cat. cats are new. he has no drone at cruise which for him was a requirement.

Members online

No members online now.
Back