gd roof again

erictw

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have fixed the drains on the moonroof twice now and they are leaking again.What has been the final answer on this issue? Does the hose keep shrinking forever? What is the I.D. of the hose? For the people who have spliced in new hose, does this make the hose clog where it narrows? I suspect that the flooding has contributed to several electrical problems that have reared their ugly heads. I can't believe Ford never addressed this, it is apparently a feature of most if not all MR equipped cars. This is an 03 premium sport, I currently have 36k miles on it. I absolutely love this car when it runs right, but that is pretty rare. Last time I had it at the dealers he asked why the low miles, I told him I didn't like to go too far from home cause I never knew if it'd get me back. I will probably have many more questions soon as I have decided to at least try to fix it all, except maybe the GPS, garmins are too cheap.

I had one side keep pulling loose so I used some shrink wrap to fix it for good. one piece over the drip pans nipple and then inserted it into the inside of the hose. then I shaved down the outside of the end of the hose to get rid of the ridges it has to keep it from getting cut when running through the sheet metal. Then I put a second piece of shrink wrap over the whole joint. has't failed again in years.

I extended the hoses. No problems since. No clogs at the couplers. 3/8" ID

I extended the hose with a coupler. The nipple at the roof is also a limiting factor. The ID of that is no bigger than the coupler I used yet I did have some leaking after a huge downpour that seemed to overwhelm the ability of the system to drain.

In 1994, I bought a new TBird. I sold it in 2012.

Never had a roof leak in all those year and 152,000 miles. Had a lot of other stuff go bad.

Two trans rebuilds. I once had to drive from northern New Hampshire to NJ with a trans that was slipping in and out of gear. On the way to the dealer to trade it in, I had to take local streets. I could only drive in D2.

Another time, I had to take a business trip from north Jersey to Mystic, CT,and return with a water pump that had disintegrated. Temp OK at highway speed, but when traffic stopped, so did I.

Pretty car.

Looks like a coupler is the way to go, of course the weather man is calling for monsoons now, but it's waited this long another few days probably won't matter. He said.
Thanks for the input,
Eric

Members online

No members online now.
Back