Engine noise on start up

Poem 58

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , when my 94 mark sits over night, or extended periods of time I get a rattle for a few seconds. Can I add a additive to quiet it down?

Is the rattle coming from the engine? It might be the timing chain rattle.

I'm not well versed on the timing chain, but a while back I read something about our engines that explained how the timing chain, or the guides, or something in-between, that was/is prone to losing tension which results in the chain briefly slapping against the guide, or something like that.

Of course, I can't find that article now which also explained the fix. A fellow member also asked about the rattle because he heard it on his Mark as well but it seems like his inquiry went somewhat unanswered.

Sajeev said:

The vehicle in question is my lightly-modified 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC with 180,000 miles.

The early 32-valve, teksid block Ford V8s suffered from an obnoxious (yet harmless) timing chain rattle on start-up. I’ve owned this car for 11 years and, like all of its ilk, the rattle almost always rears its ugly head. Even after switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Piston Slap: Riddle Me This, Timing Chain Rattle - The Truth About Cars

If this is indeed what your rattle is, well, at the very least he eludes to it being harmless.

Other rattles could be:
-catalytic converter vibrating,
-torque converter,
-PCV Valve etc,

Your oil filter should have an anti-drain back valve buy a good filter and see if that doesn't fix it.

A lot of mk8's do this. When engine is doing this you have zero oil pressure. As soon as oil pump starts pumping the timing chain tensioner pumps up. I did a oil pressure gauge test on this and that's how I found info. Don't worry about it.

Agreed! I've had 4 Mark VIIIs and 2 Cobras and they've all done this.

Ive heard prople say its common but ive never expirenced it with a 2,3,or 4V. I have a ‘97 Mark VIII with 37k mi. that I let sit for months at a time and then fire it and its as quiet as my 2018 Taurus.
First thing I’d recommend is do a fresh oil change with 6.5 qts of Mobil 1 5w30 and a new Motorcraft FL820S oil filter and report back.

Both my m8's do it and also the mk8 engine we put in my buddies cobra. All have like 100K on them. No oil or filter will change it.

its very common. i tried all the filters and oils and no change.

if its only a few seconds of rattle, just go about your day.

Members online

No members online now.
Back