Fuel pump problems, Need suggestions

00LincLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally found out what the cranking problems were on my 00 LS. The fuel pump went bad and it needs to be replaced. So what are the good fuel pumps out there for a 3.9L V8v

Finally found out what the cranking problems were on my 00 LS. The fuel pump went bad and it needs to be replaced. So what are the good fuel pumps out there for a 3.9L V8v
I replaced my with a Spectra ...no problems ...$89 dollars +shipping Amazon Edited: I’m talking about the whole assembly module though if just a fuel pump ...I would go with MotorCraft

F5956031-B1D2-4FA6-A20B-16633E699CBC.jpeg
Spectra Premium SP2322M Fuel Pump Module Assembly
by Spectra Premium
16 customer reviews
| 5 answered questions

Price: $78.32 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Your cost could be $68.32. Eligible customers get a $10 bonus when reloading $100.

• Unit is designed to Original Equipment (OE) fit, form and function requirements
  • Improved OE connectors to eliminate excessive electrical resistance and provide better heat dissipation
  • Includes strainers for smoother installation process and ensures a clean fuel system upon replacement
  • Tested for voltage, amperage, resistance, pressure, and volume to ensure product performance and quality
  • Perfect fit guarantee

I replaced my with a Spectra ...no problems ...$89 dollars +shipping Amazon Edited: I’m talking about the whole assembly module though if just a fuel pump ...I would go with MotorCraft
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what to get and kept running across the Delphi brand fuel pump. But definitely went with the brand and model you suggested. Thanks again

00LincLS, Thanks for bringing up this topic.
I have an '06 LS 3.9L Sport that was stored in a warehouse for 5 years while stationed in Japan. While in storage it was started up and ran weekly to keep things lubricated, and also was moved to other locations within the warehouse to protect the tires from warping. One of the problems I've encountered after driving it daily again, is that my fuel gauge will error out when reaching just below 1/4 tank. That was the amount required to be left in the vehicle when storing it, and my guess is that the fuel has gunked up the leveling sensor contacts. I was able to stop it using back-to-back doses of a particular fuel detergent, but it always reverted to error again within a few fill-ups after discontinuing. I understand there are several electronic components involved with the fuel system, so what does the group here think I should look into replacing first?

... I understand there are several electronic components involved with the fuel system, so what does the group here think I should look into replacing first?

Well, you've well established that it is one or both of the two fuel level senders in the tank. When it's in the error condition, you can use a scan tool to determine which one (or both), or you can use a multi-meter to measure resistance at the sender connectors at the two fuel pump ports under the rear seat.

I don't know if you can get just the sender assemblies, or if you would have to buy the complete fuel pump assemblies. I wonder if the jet (driver's side) assembly is even still available?

Using a scan tool when the fuel sensor errors out reveals the following: P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit. Can you tell me which fuel sensor I would most likely have my problem with?

Using a scan tool when the fuel sensor errors out reveals the following: P0460 - Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit. Can you tell me which fuel sensor I would most likely have my problem with?

I was expecting the "B" codes that come from the cluster/REM, so I'm not positive about which side that code refers to. (Forscan can pull those codes.) Look at the linked workshop page for some simple DMM tests that you can run to see which sender is bad.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Hey Joe,

Seems I've been jinxed with an issue here also. 2 fill-ups ago I noticed the LS only took 17 gallons instead of 19.... and instead of reading 420 miles to empty... it said 375.

Last fill up it only took 15 gallons... and I have noticed that the last half of the fuel gauge drops faster than the first half.

Does the liquid level in the fuel tank drop equally in both halves... or does one side, (drivers side), feed the other till empty... then the other half, (passenger side), continues to run ???

Hope what I'm asking makes sense. :confused:

I think that it drops equally for about the first half of the tank, then it has to start pumping fuel from the driver's side to the passenger's side. I don't know how even (or not) the levels stay when that happens.

I am now having trouble filling my 06. I sometimes have to turn the nozzle upside down to get it to keep pouring. It's not every pump, but it's now more than not. I haven't been trying to force the tank over full. Generally Ford/Lincoln/Mercury don't seem to be sensitive to that, but since I have other brands that are, I keep to the habit of not pulling the level again after it stops.

It's always something. (Not just cars, house too...)

I think that it drops equally for about the first half of the tank, then it has to start pumping fuel from the driver's side to the passenger's side. I don't know how even (or not) the levels stay when that happens.

That's kinda what I was thinking too. Although at the same time it wouldn't make sense to run the drivers side dry either, (burning up the pump).

It's always something. (Not just cars, house too...)

Yup... New hot water tank this past summer. Actually had time to install it myself. A couple other small projects... along with a washer drain issue that flooded part of the basement. Trying to save for a new, (metal), roof now... but other things are getting in the way.

I always joke that I'm married to my house... and the LS is my mistress. :D

That's kinda what I was thinking too. Although at the same time it wouldn't make sense to run the drivers side dry either, (burning up the pump).

Electric pump in the passenger's side, hydraulic (jet) pump in the driver's side. From this, I would assume that the driver's side runs dry first, since there can be no pumping on either side once the passenger's side runs dry.

Hey Joe,

Seems I've been jinxed with an issue here also. 2 fill-ups ago I noticed the LS only took 17 gallons instead of 19.... and instead of reading 420 miles to empty... it said 375.

Unless you drive the same exact route in the same exact manner with the same exact accessory usage to get the same exact DTE on fillup, the DTE will vary. It's based on recent driving, not a flat rate based on fuel level. I'd suspect two of the main factors come from the weather cooling down: longer rich warmup time and moving back into heat (with AC) usage after minimal use on 60-70° days

I never get 19 gallons at a fillup. I've filled from less than 10 miles to E multiple times and always give it a few extra clicks. Most I've ever added was 17.5. I thought it was an 18 or 18.5 gallon tank

I agree that the DTE will drop as temps cool. However... even if it is an 18 gallon tank, being full with only 15 gallons... the 3 "ghost gallons" would again bring me from 375 to empty, back up to my usual 420. That's assuming 15mpg... when the display is showing 22+.

A couple years ago I could put the gauge needle a full needle width below empty... and the DTE would show 4 miles.

Now its showing zero to empty... at just above empty... and I can easily go 10 miles past zero DTE.

I think I'm having a similar, (but different), issue as EJay... with the level sensors.

So... I got a little brave over the weekend, an threw a small gas can in the trunk. Roughly 40 miles later, (combined driving), I felt the throttle response fall off.

So I put about a gallon and a half in the tank... and went to the nearest gas station... and topped it off with 17 gallons.

So this means that the gauge is accurate. Hmmm... me thinks me getting a good deal on Sunoco Ultra close to home... when I can fill it from 0 DTE and only fit 15-16 gallons in the tank.

Well, it is possible that one pump is over-dispensing there, but I doubt that all would be. Have you used the same pump each time?

Members online

Back