MVIII computer reads "check air ride suspension"

waltgrant

LVC Member
Reaction score
This comes up consistently on the dash monitor for fuel,lights,etc. What do you think the issue might be? Air ride switch is on, car is level, new air bags in rear a few years back, but none replaced in the front. All other functions Ok. What should I look for or do?

You might have a leak in the air ride. Spray some soapy water on top of the air spring, diaphragm, or the air lines while keeping an eye out for bubbling. Also, check the solenoid valve that's inserted into the air-spring.

One of my other Marks(BA) used to behave the exact same way while maintaining ride-height but would struggle to pick itself up after highway speeds. I could hear a "hiss" every now & then from the front driver's side and would sometimes find the front of the Mark a bit lower than usual or fully slammed after being parked for long periods.

So, I ended up getting a WESTAR replacement air-spring. When I removed the solenoid from the failing air-spring I noticed the top black cap(where the air vents from) had broken and was stuck inside the solenoid cavity.

Broken Solenoid (2).jpg

Broken Solenoid (1).jpg

Both solenoids in the pictures are from FORD.

You might have a leak in the air ride. Spray some soapy water on top of the air spring, diaphragm, or the air lines while keeping an eye out for bubbling. Also, check the solenoid valve that's inserted into the air-spring.

One of my other Marks(BA) used to behave the exact same way while maintaining ride-height but would struggle to pick itself up after highway speeds. I could hear a "hiss" every now & then from the front driver's side and would sometimes find the front of the Mark a bit lower than usual or fully slammed after being parked for long periods.

So, I ended up getting a WESTAR replacement air-spring. When I removed the solenoid from the failing air-spring I noticed the top black cap(where the air vents from) had broken and was stuck inside the solenoid cavity.

View attachment 828571493

View attachment 828571492

Both solenoids in the pictures are from FORD.

Are these solenoids on the tops of the front air springs? I don't seem to hear any hissing anywhere, but if I leave the car sit for 6 month or longer, it will drop down t the bottom. However, when I crank it up again it comes right back up. Do you have to get the vehicle up on a lift to check these solenoids? Was wondering also if the control modulator valve that's up front in the engine bay could be bad?

The solenoid valves are mounted at the top of the air springs, hang off to the side, and are relatively easy to access once you move height sensor & the solenoid locking clip out of the way.

?temp_hash=8daed7c1c4b6f32182c02587814d44be.jpg

As for checking them,.... It's best to put the vehicle on a lift, jack stand it, and remove the tire. The last thing you want is for the front end to slam down and then you're stuck trying to find a pallet-jack or low-profile car-jack to get underneath a slammed Mark. Or worse, the front end of a 2-ton vehicle trapping & crushing your arm between the wheel well and tire as the car lowers from finagling the solenoid.

However, the air springs do deflate a tad bit when parked to engage Park Height. So, perhaps the valve is sticking open slightly but just enough to let air seep out which leaves your Mark slammed after a few months of no power. Also, the diaphragm can be compromised from the car not being moved for so long as the rubber could harden and crack when it flexes to give lift.

Safety first!

Members online

No members online now.
Back