Manual 5 speed owners?

randy02ls

LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace Dual mass Flywheel for 02 5 speed manual, Are there any options for aftermarket? Are there any NOS still around? any help, There is one listed on Ebay for $150 + Shipping. Is that a good deal? Thanks,

They are discontinued from Ford, and NO dealers have any stock anywhere (I'm a Ford parts manager). However, you can still buy them new from Jaguar (for the v6 S-type), and they come with the Ford part number stamped on them! They're also about $800.

I just replaced the Transmission, clutch, flywheel, etc on mine, and thats the route I went.

So the new one listed on Ebay for 150 is a good deal, what trans,etc did you replace with? as in what donor vehicle/stock from what? Thanks for all the help!

I was looking into using a solid flywheel from a 2.5L from the new Cougar and Contour, but I think the solid flywheel is too thin.

So the new one listed on Ebay for 150 is a good deal, what trans,etc did you replace with? as in what donor vehicle/stock from what? Thanks for all the help!

No donor vehicle. I replaced everything will all brand new parts from Ford (or Jaguar), including the transmission.

ALSO!!! make sure to get the correct flywheel! If memory serves there are 2 different versions out there, one with 10mm dowel pins, and one with 6 (or 8?!)mm dowel pins.

I got an 02 5spd back in jan myself and i am dreading the day I need to change the clutch. I am thinking the Contour flywheel and clutch would work if it has the same number of teeth so the starter engages properly. This should be simple to verify. Next problem would be finding a clutch disk that works with the contour flywheel and pressure plate that fits the input shaft on the getrag. Who know, the standard clutch disk may just drop in and work. The biggest show stopper I could think of would be the position of the fingers on the contour pressure plate relative to the stock one. As long as the fingers are in the right spot, the slave cylinder should be just fine. If the fingers end up closer to the flywheel, you might be able to fit a spacer between the slave and the tranny to compensate for the distance.

I notice there have been no posts to this thread in 4 years. Did the entire Lincoln v. Cadillac forum die, or just this thread?

I just blew the clutch in my 2001 LSE and replaced everything; clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and flywheel (if anyone needs an OEM flywheel contact me. I have a source). The last time I had it changed the transmission shop couldn't find a flywheel, so they had a kid spend a whole day sanding the old one! This is the fourth time I have had to replace the clutch in 148,000 miles, so that's about every 40,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is normal? Yes, I do have a tendency to downshift and use the clutch instead of the brakes to slow the car down.

Also, does anyone know how many of the 2,331 Lincoln LS' with 5 speed manual transmissions are left on the road? I have noticed that the Kelly Blue Book value has gone from $800.00 to $3,000.00 in the last 5 years or so.

Last edited:
I downshift in my 5 speed also and have not had clutch issues. I actually downshift so much that my first LS went 125,000 miles on the original front brakes. I have owned two LS 5 speeds. First one went 175,000 miles before it was wrecked. No clutch issues. Mine current LS now has 141,000 miles and no clutch issues. Something is wrong if your clutch is only lasting 40,000 miles.

Unless they sit in more stop and go traffic and cruise much less. Shifts eat clutches, not miles

I watch people killing clutches at red lights with an incline. Instead of putting their foot on the brake, they keep rocking back an forth, riding the clutch. (At least, I assume that it bad for the clutch...)

Yes Joe, that is bad! Especially for our LS clutch, it's susceptible to rapid degradation when misused.

OP: Like Craigh, I have also owned 2 LS 2000 manuals, the first getting wrecked at 109K and the second still active with 312K miles. I have done my clutch replacement twice. That is a nice find on the flywheel!

I notice there have been no posts to this thread in 4 years. Did the entire Lincoln v. Cadillac forum die, or just this thread?

I just blew the clutch in my 2001 LSE and replaced everything; clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and flywheel (if anyone needs an OEM flywheel contact me. I have a source). The last time I had it changed the transmission shop couldn't find a flywheel, so they had a kid spend a whole day sanding the old one! This is the fourth time I have had to replace the clutch in 148,000 miles, so that's about every 40,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is normal? Yes, I do have a tendency to downshift and use the clutch instead of the brakes to slow the car down.

Also, does anyone know how many of the 2,331 Lincoln LS' with 5 speed manual transmissions are left on the road? I have noticed that the Kelly Blue Book value has gone from $800.00 to $3,000.00 in the last 5 years or so.

I also am driving an '01 manual, which I bought new. I pulled the engine and trans 2 years ago. Rebuilt the engine and replaced the clutch. The old clutch was worn only a slight bit from the new one. This was at just shy of 200K and clutch looked like it would go another 200K. This was first time I had to do anything to the trans or clutch.

Yes, at least one is still on the road. I got mine out for the season yesterday! I see postings for one every now and again on AutoTrader.

B59F9477-4AB6-4098-B0DC-1B22D4E9C5D3.jpeg

I don't know how I missed this thread until now, but I inherited one, just like the one in the above picture, from my late son. My not on line brother in Oregon also inherited one with a manual.

Currently have an 00, 01 and 02 lse. The lse is one I purchased totalled hoping to learn bodywork.
IMG_20190428_19183282.jpg

Hey shifters just a couple pictures showing my 5 speed. Still driving her. :)

Quite opposite of milehighmikey mines becoming a winter well cool weather car. Due to a stubborn AC issue.

Oh, been reading that the scarcity of manual cars is driving prices up. I'll sell mine only when price exceeds that when new. About $38K should do it!

IMG_2102 copy.jpg
IMG_2104 copy.jpg

IMG_2575 copy.jpg

I just recently bought a 00 Lincoln ls v6 five speed just trying to see more about need more info on it service manual anything helps. It’s got 104k on it
40578BCE-B423-4A50-A7FC-B82B3B048796.jpeg

Nice low mileage. My 2001 has 215,000 now. Engine really is bullet proof, though cooling system maintenance should be performed. Carefully check your hoses for wear. Most folks replace all the hoses at around 100K or more. The tranny and clutch on mine have been first rate. The biggest PIA about these are the window mechanisms. Plastic thing breaks and off comes the door panel etc. It's a fun car though. And thieves cant drive a five speed manual. :) I hope you enjoy it.

A month ago I ordered a flywheel from Terry'sjag.com for $700 (almost as much as the $750 my son and I paid for the car five years ago). I received it a couple of weeks ago. They also have Getrag transmissions listed for $4000

Members online

Back