vapor canister small leak trouble code

Surfdude 49

LVC Member
Reaction score
hello
What is the best way to resolve this code. Can this explain hesitation and slightly rough idle? 2006 LS

Close inspection of the plumbing involved, possibly followed by a smoke test.
Yes, it might.
What's the exact code?

po456 I checked the solenoid and it appears to have no leaks Do I need to do a smoke test?

I hope this helps a little and gives you some more info
"Potential Symptoms
There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management.
Causes
Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve The EVAP Canister may be leaking
Possible Solutions
First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system."
Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician

Based on my experience with that code, yes, smoke test is best. I hope your leak is simple and accessible. Mine ended up being the fuel tank and I had to have it dropped and repaired.

While "the Google" will tell you P0456 is most often the fuel cap, my dealer advised on the LS this is generally not the case.

I hope this helps a little and gives you some more info
"Potential Symptoms
There will likely be no noticeable symptoms other than the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). This is because the EVAP system is a closed system and only controls fuel tank vapors, not engine management.
Causes
Usually this P0456 code is caused by an incorrect or faulty gas cap. Filling the fuel tank with the engine running could conceivable cause this code as well or if the cap wasn't properly tightened. Any of the following could also be the cause: A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve The EVAP Canister may be leaking
Possible Solutions
First, using a scan tool activate the vent solenoid, sealing the system. Then monitor the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. If the system is sealing properly, the number will stay consistent. If is isn't, the pressure sensor will show that as well. If the system slowly leaks, use a smoke machine and watch for smoke exiting the system at any EVAP component. Any where there is smoke exiting the system, that is the faulty component. Do not pressurize the EVAP system with air pressure. Doing so can damage the purge and vent solenoids in the system."
Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician

Based on my experience with that code, yes, smoke test is best. I hope your leak is simple and accessible. Mine ended up being the fuel tank and I had to have it dropped and repaired.

While "the Google" will tell you P0456 is most often the fuel cap, my dealer advised on the LS this is generally not the case.

It's been years... but shortly after acquiring my '04 in 2011... I had that code pop up.

I took a chance on a $10 gas cap ... and that fixed it.

Seems like the rubber gasket on the cap loses it's flexibility and won't seal properly.

While the problem has not resurfaced... I have noticed that quite a bit of "grunge" can accumulate, (from road spray), where the cap and filler neck seal.

So every now and then I take the time when fueling... To wipe the cap and neck with a damp and dry paper towel.

Members online

No members online now.
Back