No tranny filter replacement on a flush???

Jtown

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Dealer will do a tranny flush using BG machine and BG fluid. I've looked at several threads but haven't found a firm answer to this:

Why would you do a machine flush and not drop the pan (inspect) and replace the filter?

Dealer says they don't drop the pan. I'm willing to pay the $ for the parts and labor so I'm going to push them on it. I want to see the inside of the pan. Filter change just seems like a good thing. I can ask for the mercon-V

Just dropping the pan gets about 4/5 quarts of the 12 out. Also, I think there is tranny cooler line filter that can be replaced (FT142 or 184).

Car is a 03 with 53K, v8

Dealer will do a tranny flush using BG machine and BG fluid. I've looked at several threads but haven't found a firm answer to this:

Why would you do a machine flush and not drop the pan (inspect) and replace the filter?

Dealer says they don't drop the pan. I'm willing to pay the $ for the parts and labor so I'm going to push them on it. I want to see the inside of the pan. Filter change just seems like a good thing. I can ask for the mercon-V

Just dropping the pan gets about 4/5 quarts of the 12 out. Also, I think there is tranny cooler line filter that can be replaced (FT142 or 184).

Car is a 03 with 53K, v8
Personally I would never flush a transmission. I would only drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and change the pan gasket. I would find a good local transmission shop to have them just drop the pan and change your filter and replace the pan gasket.

Last edited:
Service schedule calls for a fluid exchange/flush every 150K miles. If you just do a pan drop, then you should probably do that every 30K miles instead.
There's nothing wrong with doing a fluid exchange.
The filter screen does not have to be replaced. If it's clogged, then the transmission probably needs serious work.

Car is a 03 with 53K, v8
I believe the filter is metal, so that shouldn't need to be replaced.

It this tranny line filter an owner add on? I can't get under my car right now to see if I have one.

Does it just go into the tranny line? Obviously this kit is a cut and insert. They do sell just the filter.

IMG_20190308_102033.jpg

That could be the one. They were only added after certain kinds of transmission failures. It's very unlikely that your car has one. I haven't seen any on any of the LSes that I have looked at.
You'd have to cut one of the cooling lines to add one.

Thanks Joe. Looks like cheap insurance. Got to get my 03 3.9 up on a ramp and see if it's there. I decided to just drop the pan and replace the internal filter and what fluid comes out.

I don't know if I can get a dealership to do the drop and fill. A performance shop near me will do it and they work on all kinds of cars from exotics to econoboxes. I feel uncomfortable with shops. They would have to recite the refill procedure to me first before I trust them! Guess I could do but would hate to screw something up.

Yeah you wouldn't use that unless you had transmission issues. I bought that thinking I needed it, so don't be like me, I wasted money! I hope I never have to use that thing.... And if I am not mistaken you cut the cooler line and put that filter in place when you do have to use it.

Last edited:
Thanks to both you guys, Joe and Dale. I hear ya. Guess I can go without it unless it's already there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back