LS v6 cruise control light blinking.

Cicerojonezz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched around the site and Google and didnt find anything on this.

My cruise control indicator on my cluster turns on and starts flashing when I hit about 70mph, dont k ow why, hitting the off/cancel button doesn't do anything.

Anyone have any ideas?
00 v6 manual trans.

This symptom has been described before. I don't think there has ever been a resolution reported.
Do the radio switches work on the steering wheel? The horn? Any SRS faults?
If all that's good, how about the clutch switch?

This symptom has been described before. I don't think there has ever been a resolution reported.
Do the radio switches work on the steering wheel? The horn? Any SRS faults?
If all that's good, how about the clutch switch?

I'm not sure on the radio switches working as the radio is gutted(if I need the stereo would I be able to use a gen2 stock alpine in my gen1? I've searched around and for some reason the gen2 stereos are vastly cheaper.) Horn works, airbag light flashes. Clutch switch I'm guessing is fine as the car doesn't turn over if I don't engage the clutch?

Might be unrelated but the previous owner did replace the old fan with an electric one and also replaced the battery, I know how finicky it can be about the battery.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
You can use a gen II radio, but you would have to get the connectors with it and do some wiring conversion. It won't be plug-n-play, and you will lose the RAP and speed volume features of the radio. (and probably the backlights at night.)

I've never looked at a manual, so I don't know but there may be a separate cruise switch on the clutch.
Some cruise modules flash the light when there is a problem with the buttons or the clockspring, but I don't know if that applies to the gen I cruise module.

You can use a gen II radio, but you would have to get the connectors with it and do some wiring conversion. It won't be plug-n-play, and you will lose the RAP and speed volume features of the radio. (and probably the backlights at night.)

I've never looked at a manual, so I don't know but there may be a separate cruise switch on the clutch.
Some cruise modules flash the light when there is a problem with the buttons or the clockspring, but I don't know if that applies to the gen I cruise module.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to get an electrical guy to look at it I guess.

My degas bottle just shit the bed I think. Its pissing coolant from the left side, coming from the black cylinder, not sure what that is.

15514956905165167938370660773443.jpg

Do you also have a back up alarm beeping in the cab when you put the car in reverse?

Yes, related. You have a communication error with or within the instrument cluster. I have been trying to track down the problem for the 5 years I have owned my LS. If you can communicate and bring up the binary code to the instrument cluster, either with Forscan or maybe a dealer that knows their stuff then these can be shut off. But I suspect you cannot bring up the code. I have tried Forscan and two dealers have tried to do it also. I have followed the instrument cluster wiring through the dash and followed the troubleshooting sequences from the shop manual. It all pointed to an instrument cluster problem. I then took out the cluster and took it in to get repaired and they said that there was not an issue with it. I don't know what caused the problem but it acts like the instrument cluster was replaced and not programmed correctly. Talking to a dealer they said that a new cluster could be installed and matched to the car, but it would be about a grand to do it. Not worth it to me. So you know I have owned a 5 speed for over 15 years and know the car inside and out. Do my own work on it and this is one of the things that has stumped me. Write to me directly at craighumason@yahoo.com should you have some specific questions about the car as it relates to being a stick. I probably have dealt with it at one time or another.

Members online

No members online now.
Back