Wheel Bearings & Front Hubs LS GEN 1

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What brand of Wheel bearings are good in the year 2019? I wanted to start saving up for the labor that I am gonna face. I just don't want any cheap bearings used so I prefer to have parts in hand before I have a repair made, so they can't try to sucker me into a part I don't want. Moog or Centric I will assume? Also what brand of Hub Assemblies for the front do you all recommend to use?

Last edited:
Timken and SKF are typically the gold standards for bearings.
I went with Timken this time around hopefully they are still up to the snuff. I know they used to make good quality parts but if I am not mistaken they are now all made in china.

I bought the cheapies off ebay years ago, no problems. replacing the wheel bearing is not difficult just take your time.

I bought the cheapies off ebay years ago, no problems. replacing the wheel bearing is not difficult just take your time.
I am sure it's not crazy hard to do but I will let the mechanic do this one! I would rather someone that does this kinda thing all the time and has the correct tools that I know that I don't have. I had enough fun today with the brake calipers on the rear. I literally had one rear caliper freeze up on the way to where I was going to change the brakes. Then on the way back home the other caliper did the same thing! I got lucky though, I found 2 PowerStop Calipers on amazon for $54 shipped with a $30 mail in rebate I think it was a price glitch but I grabbed it none the less. I already talked to autozone and they will take the other caliper I bought for a refund I will just obviously lose my core which I don't care about. I have owned several LS's but this one for some crazy reason was a lot harder to get them bolts off the rear calipers. So I would rather someone that has the right stuff to do that job.

Just scored two Timken Front Hubs for $90 on amazon. So getting really close to being done now!

Not to be a damper on your win on those hubs, but I just went through this about 4 or 5 months ago.

I also was under the impression that SKF and Timken were premium hubs with at least one of those brands supplying bearings for a majority of the US airlines. Pretty good resume if you ask me.

However, these bearings are manufactured in different factories with different standards. Timken used to be US until several years back I believe and SKF was made in Canada (at least the rear bearings I bought 8 years ago were).

Now, both are made in China just like Moog. They’ve all sold out for better margins and I don’t blame them (If) they can maintain the same quality.

I didn’t bother with the SKF as the design was very different from the original hubs. I then got Timkens (design is also different) and after i noticed a horrible creaking that ended up being my lower ball joint I did the old wheel jerk and noticed play at 12 and 6. Turned out that play was in the hub itself - not loose bolts on the knuckle - but between the inner and outer races!

I returned and bought Motocraft at $107 a piece and no issues at all. I want to say they were made in US but I can’t remember, they weren’t manufactured in a China.

Ymmv, but I said this in the other thread, ball joints and hubs are crucial components that hold your wheels on and possibly your life. I’m a new parent and the few hundred in savings was not worth the risk of my child’s life. I even spent $60 buying new hub bolts at the dealer as recommended.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Here’s the thread I mentioned SKF and Timken back in November. I was backward on the brand that had play. It was SKF.

Please don’t follow the recommendation someone gave to hit the bearing with a hammer or us puller to loosen if you live in the rust belt. There is another thread on how to remove the hub by using a few bolts, nuts and washers as a press - I believe Joegr linked it within this thread as well

The correct tool to remove front wheel bearing & hub assembly?

Here’s the thread I mentioned SKF and Timken back in November. I was backward on the brand that had play. It was SKF.

Please don’t follow the recommendation someone gave to hit the bearing with a hammer or us puller to loosen if you live in the rust belt. There is another thread on how to remove the hub by using a few bolts, nuts and washers as a press - I believe Joegr linked it within this thread as well

The correct tool to remove front wheel bearing & hub assembly?
I am getting a mechanic to do it. On stuff like that I would much rather have someone that has done this a lot do it. I agree that's a very important part and I want it installed correct so less of a chance of something bad happening. I will give these a go and if they don't work out I will order a set of OEM and send these back. I figured since I was going Timken on the rear bearings I should do the same with replacing the front hubs. And I will likely have the same mechanic change out my front 2 brake calipers since I am having to replace the rear ones. I want to make this car as safe as possible!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back