Message Center Vent LS Gen 1 V8

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the message center buttons on the vent? I know these vents break quite a bit cause the plastic does not seem to hold up over time. But I hate to pay $160 for one that will likely do the same thing down the road.
Is this the best way or is there other cleaner ways?

I bought a used one off ebay a few months ago for like $60 dollars and it was in like new condition. I did an e-mail saved search, when new items are listed I get a e-mail from ebay. I got lucky that morning offered him $50 plus shipping and had the part within a week.

Last edited:
I bought a used on off ebay a few months ago for like $60 dollars and it was in like new condition. I did an e-mail saved search, when new items are listed I get a e-mail from ebay. I got lucky that morning offered him $50 plus shipping and had the part within a week.
Yeah I have seen those but I have seen a lot look in rough shape as well and who knows really what shape them screw holes are in. I mean literally every LS I have every seen at the boneyard has issues with the vent message center.

Yeah I have seen those but I have seen a lot look in rough shape as well and who knows really what shape them screw holes are in. I mean literally every LS I have every seen at the boneyard has issues with the vent message center.
I have a 1st Gen message center vent control panel and the buttons work perfect I bought off of EBay it’s mint condition ...pm me and I could get it mailed out to you

A607BA60-7B7D-4E79-99B5-481A46FB9261.jpeg
40EDC07E-7CAF-4BC4-B656-92422B47DC25.jpeg
PM Sent bro thanks!

Thanks bro but what I need is the vent itself. My button assembly is in good shape, it's the vent that the screw holes broke on.
No problem ... I know what you mean I think ppl try to pry those vents out because they don’t know how to properly take the components out..good luck with your search!

No problem ... I know what you mean I think ppl try to pry those vents out because they don’t know how to properly take the components out..good luck with your search!
I think some people have just had them break from normal use. It just seems the plastic does not hold up well over time. I will have to go the rivet approach for now and when I can find a good replacement vent I will grab one. I might even grab one from a gen 2 I think the only difference is the color and I don't really care about that and I think the buttons work from a gen 2 on a gen 1. I mean I am putting a radio in the car at some point and going double din so that old factory trim color will go away in a sense.

Last edited:
Just take care not to get any on the moving switch parts.

Just take care not to get any on the moving switch parts.
Yeah I have seen a few that people got glue in the buttons and they were trash after that. I will likely use a applicator to apply the glue so I can control where it goes and less chance of getting glue in the buttons.

I cut a #10(-32?) nut coupler in half at an angle and used JB weld to attach the halves to the back of the vent face after grinding the bosses away. I screwed them into the switches, made a thin layer of epoxy over where it needed to be, placed it on the vent face, then let it dry. Once it set, I removed the buttons and slathered the couplers up with more epoxy. It's held up great for me several years later. I'll look for pics later

I also have been trying to develop a 3D printed bracket to be simply glued in place with no guess work... but that's slow going. I'm on revision 4 now. There's not a lot of space between the button chassis and vent face and it's a curvy shape with some funny protrusions

I went ahead and bought a used vent with controls cause I noticed my vent was actually cracked. Got one for $44 shipped on ebay

I cut a #10(-32?) nut coupler in half at an angle and used JB weld to attach the halves to the back of the vent face after grinding the bosses away. I screwed them into the switches, made a thin layer of epoxy over where it needed to be, placed it on the vent face, then let it dry. Once it set, I removed the buttons and slathered the couplers up with more epoxy. It's held up great for me several years later. I'll look for pics later

I also have been trying to develop a 3D printed bracket to be simply glued in place with no guess work... but that's slow going. I'm on revision 4 now. There's not a lot of space between the button chassis and vent face and it's a curvy shape with some funny protrusions
When you get this done I would be interested in getting one as I know overtime this vent has a good chance of failing as well. Hopefully I get lucky but I know my past luck on every LS I have had owned has had issues with this one thing.

I got the one I had ordered on eBay and had to send it back because it was broken. So I had to bite the bullet and I ordered a new vent. I got it for $115 shipped which is not horrible considering they usually go for $155 or so at the other sites.

I suggest that you go ahead and reinforce it around the screw bosses.

Whats the best way with a light coat of epoxy?
  • 8237_PlasticWeld_1024x1024.jpg
STRENGTH
350 PSI
SET TIME
25 Minutes
CURE TIME
3 Hours
CURE COLOR
Off White
USE ON
  • Automotive
  • Ceramic
  • Epoxy Putty Sticks
  • Fiberglass
  • Plastic/Composite/PVC
  • And More
PLASTICWELD EPOXY PUTTY

$ 7.99

PlasticWeld is a hand-mixable, fast-setting epoxy putty that forms a durable bond to most major plastic types. *After mixing, it forms a polymer compound that can be molded or used to build up and repair just about anything made from plastic. When cured, it can be sawed, drilled, carved, sanded and painted. PlasticWeld has a 20-25 minute work life; functional cure occurs in 2-3 hours. PlasticWeld cures to an off-white color, is rated at a tensile strength of 350 PSI. Does not adhere to polyethylene, polypropylene or some other plastics. Test for adhesion first.

Members online

Back