What did you do to your Continental today?

WELL, getting my car ready to cruise this weekend considering its the Hot Rod Nationals (Steel Valley Nationals) Fri. Sat. and Sun.

Only thing......its gonna rain all weekend!!! :mad::mad::rolleyes:

Was going to get all the dudes from Cleveland, Akron and local in Youngstown to get together. Was going to post a new thread about that. Considering the rain it won't be a good turnout for now at least. We'll plan another time I guess.

Good idea Svets.

I’ve done nothing to my ’02 for a while – in fact I haven’t taken it out much lately.
Its been raining almost every day, and the local streets are torn up and complete mud.
The city is putting in water and sewer lines.

I refuse to get it all sloped up,

I bought these badges after I bought my ’02 a couple of years ago.
I never put them on because they looked too big.
I don’t mind adding badges in certain cases, as long as they are relevant, blend in, and don’t make the car look like a ghetto wagon.
Since it has been raining down here for what seems like forever, I was fooling around in the garage and came across them.
I stuck one on the driver’s side.
I don’t have enough room in my garage to stand back a ways and see how it really looks.
I’ll leave it on and look at it when it stops raining and I can get the car outside.
badge.jpg

I bought these badges after I bought my ’02 a couple of years ago.
I never put them on because they looked too big.
I don’t mind adding badges in certain cases, as long as they are relevant, blend in, and don’t make the car look like a ghetto wagon.
Since it has been raining down here for what seems like forever, I was fooling around in the garage and came across them.
I stuck one on the driver’s side.
I don’t have enough room in my garage to stand back a ways and see how it really looks.
I’ll leave it on and look at it when it stops raining and I can get the car outside.
View attachment 828570375

I think it looks really good. The red in the Lincoln emblem and the chrome snake matches the Autumn red and chrome on your car perfectly, IMHO.

Went to try a set of LED headlights. Yes they probably aren't correct for the housings, for those headlight freaks. Funny thing is they don't fit, making it ultimately a waste of time and also unearthing what the d-bag POS previous owner did to cover up the damaged torque strut motor mount. Now I have a real project ahead. I would've never thought to remove the plastic trim that covers the mount when looking at the car before purchase. Its effed and I'm not sure how to repair. I suppose I could remove the entire front end of the car and buy and replace the core support. Doesn't seem worth it to me to dump money into a dead horse. I definitely don't want to have thousands into the car knowings its worth about $2000.

If you have an older car you like, and want to keep dependable and running properly, you can easily wind up spending more money than the car is worth.

Only you can determine if spending that money is worth it.

I had a bad left rear wheel sensor on my 2000 Continental. Every time I came to a stop, the abs would kick in. Very annoying to say the least. I searched all over the country for a replacement to no avail. I then stumbled on this video on You Tube about how a Town Car Rear wheel sensor would work on the Continental. I bought one from an auto parts store and It works like a charm with little
modification. Watch the video.

Last edited:
Nice to know – thanks for posting.
Although I must say, watching that video gave me a headache.

My A/C quit working a couple of days ago at 82040 miles.
My records indicate that there has been no work done on the AC since the car was new.
I took it to my mechanic and he found the low side Schrader valve (on right) leaking.
He replaced both, vacuumed and refilled the system, and $50 later all is well again.
valves.jpg

I used the car three times over the last 9 days.
A/C worked fine until today.
Back to Mr. Mechanic next week.
I have a feeling this go around will cost more than $50.

I finally got my ‘02 Continental back to my mechanic to go over the A/C system.
He vacuumed and refilled the system and added dye to try to spot leaks.
After running for 40 minutes there were no leaks showing up.
I will drive the car for a couple of days and take it back Saturday to see if any leaks have showed up.
He also found that the blend door actuator was sticking and recommended replacing it before it fails completely.

So, I just ordered a new Motorcraft actuator, which he said he would put in.
Looking at the Service manual, it doesn’t look like too bad a job.
The center floor console has to come out, but it looks like it is mostly removing screws, fasteners, and a couple of connectors.

I did a maintenance wash on my car.

Amazing how much road dust and pollen there is when you let it go for a couple weeks.

Today, Sunday I had started to change the power steering fluid on the Continental.

Siphoned the old fluid out with a pump. The amount I took out I replaced with new trans fluid.

Started car, turned wheel lock to lock to circulate and keep changing it until clean fluid is in power steering reservoir.

I finished the process of removing the power steering pump from my 01. This car has a bit of a story... my grandpa was the second owner, driving it from 23k to (I think) ~160k. I bought it from him in mid-2013 and drove it until January of 2015 when I got a newer, more fuel efficient, and more reliable car - I was in college at the time and putting about 3k miles a month on her. She went in to storage for a few months when my step-uncle bought her in June of 2015.

I bought her back from him in September of 2020 (for $100!) with 213k on the clock and a little worse for wear. He was low income and couldn't afford many of the necessary repairs so he got a different vehicle. I'm replacing the power steering pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt. I have already replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils. After that she will be road worthy again! Pictured as she sits today as well as my current fleet of vehicles. Love my Ecoboost Flex as my daily and Grand Marquis as my beater. The Lincoln is going to be my secondary daily and audio car - I had one hell of a sound system in her previously and intend on doing the same thing again.

20201107_125521.jpg

20200921_180428.jpg

My 01 went to the scrap yard last weekend, unfortunately. It just wasn't worth fixing the large number of issues. I sold a few parts off her and pulled the 275a high output alternator which will work in my 04 Mercury Grand Marquis, so Mary lives on in many other cars.

20210417_175227.jpg

I was wondering if any of you might know the part number for a door panel clip? I have to remove both front door panels to service my power windows. The sash clips pulled off of the drivers side and the pass side just clicks regardless of what button I use. I've purchased a different driver window pane with clips still attached. I've also purchased a new motor for the other, as it's either the motor or a wire is chafed or failing. I'd like to get my hands on some clips ahead of time, just in case, so I'm prepared if I break some of these 20 year old clips. I apologize I don't contribute here much. I seem to have gotten a good car. Since I added aftermarket radio and a sub 2 years ago I haven't had to do anything more than my yearly oil change (5000 miles a year) and add some fuel at times. This past year has sucked using drive throughs with the back left window. Lucky for me I'm tall and its not that hard of a reach.

I have used clipsandfasteners.com in the past.
They have about every type fastener ever invented.

When I needed door panel fasteners for my Chrysler, I measured one that was still good, and found the exact one on their web site.
They have a picture and dimensions for the different fasteners and clips, so you know you will get the correct ones.
I just drove around with the panel off until the new fasteners arrived.

Ford

I found this on Ebay for you. These are the door panel clips. Hope this helps: 1998-1999-2000-2001-2002 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL 10PC DOOR PANEL CLIPS | eBay
Thank you! It does help. At $4 a piece for used does seem pricey, but he has 9 sets available so I can sit on it and make offer if needed.

I have used clipsandfasteners.com in the past.
They have about every type fastener ever invented.

When I needed door panel fasteners for my Chrysler, I measured one that was still good, and found the exact one on their web site.
They have a picture and dimensions for the different fasteners and clips, so you know you will get the correct ones.
I just drove around with the panel off until the new fasteners arrived.

Ford
Thank you! I never even knew about that site. I'm sure it will come in handy

Members online

Back