LS V8 Overheating

Lucky me!

Well, in addition to the more plastic cooling system, you did get more horsepower, better timing chain guides/tensioners, a better clockspring, and a few hundred other improvements.

Well the parts arrived on Thursday and since my shop wanted $400 to do the job I decided to do it myself. The leak was in the thermostat housing and I installed the metal one from Rockauto and it is excellent. The tip on the wrench proved invaluable... attached is a photo of mine. Thanks for all the help!

20181230_154135.jpg

20181230_154113.jpg

20181230_105211.jpg

Well the parts arrived on Thursday and since my shop wanted $400 to do the job I decided to do it myself. The leak was in the thermostat housing and I installed the metal one from Rockauto and it is excellent. The tip on the wrench proved invaluable... attached is a photo of mine. Thanks for all the help!

View attachment 828571142

View attachment 828571143

View attachment 828571144
That Jaguar Thermostat Housing is a million times better than the Original and glad to see the wrench trick helped...looks good! Thanks for the updates

Another reason to change the themostat housing is that if fails internally. Here is the failure mode of one on a 70K mile 2006 model LS. No leaks, just overheats like a MoFo. The boss that the thermostat pin pushes against collapses causing it to not fully open. Compare the pics of a brand new part to the 70K mile failed part.
JW

20180427_193232.jpg

20180427_193412.jpg

Yes, there is. It really is overheating. The way the gauge is buffered fools people.

Just about everyone on here has been through this. You need to change every plastic cooling system part and refill and bleed it exactly by the factory procedure. Use OEM parts. There have been a lot of bad experiences here with aftermarket. Do them all. Nearly everyone who has changed just the most obviously leaking part has found one by one that all the rest were too. It's a lot cheaper to do it all at once, than one part at a time over the next month or so.
Joe, have you kept any track of how many times you've answered this?:)

KS

Change all the plastic parts at the same time.

Pretty much repeated over and over by many on this forum.

got the metal thermostat housing. I believe the housing can be removed with touching the intake... with a brake bleeerb wrench and needle nose pliers for the last couple of turns.

I can tell you came across my procedure write-up's ... hope and glad it was of use.

^ nice! I remember the all black leather interior on our 03 (R.I.P.),
it was indeed nice to drive in. an '06 should do you well, best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back