CHECK ADVANCETRAC message when...

lincolnfam

LVC Member
Reaction score
recently picked up an '03 V8, my second car. Used to drive a prius so since I FINALLY have something rwd I wanted to have a little fun. However, I have found that after disabling AdvanceTrac I am still unable to get the wheels (or at least wheel) spinning and message screen displays "CHECK ADVANCETRAC" and advancetrac cluster light turns on. Also done plenty of burnouts in friends' trucks so I know I'm doing it right.

Car has balding tires, magnaflow, K&N intake, and cyl 5 misfire that I don't think is reducing performance greatly

Found a thread describing my exact issue (below), but after reading through 3 pages of some bullshit argument, no resolution
AdvanceTrak weirdness

Anyone know what's up?

You'd be surprised by how much horsepower marginal coils will drop. If it's been going with the misfires for a while, you may have clogged cats too.

You'll need a Ford specific scan tool, like Forscan, to know where to look for the AdvanceTrac problem. Assuming that the ABS light isn't turning on too, it will probably be the steering angle sensor or the yaw sensor.

I've heard the claims that traction control remains on when AdvanceTrac is turned off, but I am not sure about that. You could always pull the ABS fuse to convince yourself.

Cluster light and check advancetrac message both now on on the time. Will get a friend to bring over their ford scanner.

Previous owner had 20s with 245/40 tires, little too big for the wheel well. Caused some suspension problems perhaps it did something to the sensors as well.

Members online

Back