Heated Seat stopped working

XTheOwl

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, I did do a search, but what I read seemed to say that the heated seats are powered by hot air, and I don't think mine are. So....

2001 LSV8. Heated seats worked fine when I got it for about a month, but just recently stopped. Pretty sure they are electric, as they used to heat up in about a minute, before the engine would heat up fully.

Is there a most likely cause for this? (I'm hopin maybe a fuse? I know I'm not that lucky...)

thanks,

xto

i got the same f-ing problem.

from what i hear it is a crushed duct that lets the air into the seats since we have retarded non-electric heated seats, there controlled by the climate control.

i couldve been told wrong.

If you weigh over 250lb's your own body weight will eventually crush the duct every time.

Check the fuses first: passenger kick panel # 5 5A heated seat module / #16 5A heated seat controls and power distribution box in the luggage compartment spare tire well #11 15A.

The 1st gen does have a problem with crushed duct but they do have a element.

2nd gen with heated/ cooled use TED (thermo-eclectic device) ceramics that give off heat or absorbs the heat and how the the fan speed comes on and off with ambivalent cabin air, . There is a heating/cooling duct that also picks up normal heat/cooled air by the fan. The rear seats is a heating element only.

I thought heated and especially cooled seats were girlie, now I can't imagine living without, especially the cooled. Mine is set to auto all the time.

Yay search feature!

My drivers side is not working, but my passenger side is. My seat was hard as a rock when I bought it, so I suspect the lady who owned it before me was rather large. Where are those 2 fuse boxes exactly on an 02 LSE?

You can find this information in your owners manual:

Passenger side kick panel #5, 5Amp
Trunk #11, 15Amp.

Yay search feature!

My drivers side is not working, but my passenger side is. My seat was hard as a rock when I bought it, so I suspect the lady who owned it before me was rather large. Where are those 2 fuse boxes exactly on an 02 LSE?

Nevermind, mis-read

Yay search feature!

Im in the same boat. 2002 LSE V8. Passenger side fine, drivers stopped working recently. Light on the switch lights up, but not heat. The #5 fuse in the kickpanel is fine, and Im guessing the one in the trunk is fine as well...but havent checked yet. Im going to guess a broken element inside the seat cushion..which could be a PITA to replace.

I checked the fuses and both are intact and just fine, even switched with other of same size, and still same thing.

I'm gonna go with the theory that the heating element is shot.

i got the same f-ing problem.

from what i hear it is a crushed duct that lets the air into the seats since we have retarded non-electric heated seats, there controlled by the climate control.

i couldve been told wrong.

If you weigh over 250lb's your own body weight will eventually crush the duct every time.

Great...so that means the last owner of my car was a Whale that smoked......no wonder my Driver side seat doesn't warm up to how hot the passenger side can..... Maybe when I redo my seats I'll get them to install an eletric heater......cause I'm gonna get the leather changed/pinstriped anyways.....

The First Gen seat heaters (00-02) worked by an electric element in the seat. The second generation (03-06) used a Peltier device to heat and/or cool the air.

The first generation heating elements were known to break after a few years, so Cracker's problem is likely that.

Hey Cracker, whaddya think about a hefty old lady driving an 02 LSE?

I heard that the wire going to the elements gets broken from the seat moving everytime the key is inserted/removed from the ignition.

I heard that the wire going to the elements gets broken from the seat moving everytime the key is inserted/removed from the ignition.

You heard wrong. On the first gen (2000-2002) there was a problem with the wires to the seat airbag breaking due to the seat moving back and forth. On the 2nd gen (2003-2006) they fixed that.
What happens to the first gen heated seats is that the elements break due to the cushion moving (sinking in when someone sits down). It has nothing to do with the movement of the seat and the easy exit feature.

I have a gen 1. Have had to replace the heating element a couple times. The heating element wire does break and the seat heater will not work.

I have a gen 1. Have had to replace the heating element a couple times. The heating element wire does break and the seat heater will not work.

Yes, the element wire in the heating pad, not the power wiring under the seat.

There is a test to see if the element is broken. The first Gen heating seats have two heating elements. One in the seat and one in the back. They plug in and you can test the resistance of the element by unplugging the wire and testing. Most likely it is the seat bottom element that has broken. If so, both elements will not function.

Do you have a part number for the heating element?

I thought you had a 2nd gen? 2nd Gens don't have heating elements, they have a solid state heat pump. What year is your LS?

04 and 06 so yes I'm 2nd gen

Then you don't have any heating elements in the seat.
You have a somewhat complicated heat pump with a blower. You need to find out what part of it has failed. A good, Ford specific, scan tool can give you some diagnostic codes to help figure it out. The common problems are a failed blower, a detached duct, or a crushed duct in the lower seat cushion.

When you first press the button (first time after the car is started), do you hear the blower for the problem seat start up?
How long does it take before it stops?
Will it keep working if no one is sitting in that seat?

I thought you had a 2nd gen? 2nd Gens don't have heating elements, they have a solid state heat pump. What year is your LS?
I have a gen 1 and I'm wondering where I'd find the part number. Could not find it on rock auto :(

I have a gen 1 and I'm wondering where I'd find the part number. Could not find it on rock auto :(

They are no longer made. You may have to go aftermarket. The ford part numbers were:
XW4Z-14D696-AA - seat back heating element (drivers or passenger)
XW4Z-14D696-BA - seat bottom heating element (drivers or passenger)

Edit: Looks like Amazon has some of the back elements
www.amazon.com/Ford-YW4Z-14D696-AA-ELEMENT/dp/B000NU0Y9Y

Does anyone know the part number for the gen2 heating element?

There is no heating element on the gen II front seats. The front seats use solid state heat pumps. Are you talking about the back seat?

Edit: Oh, so we've been through this before. Is it that you just don't believe me about how they work?
If you really want help to get this working again, then start by answering my questions from post #21 above.

2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

Members online

Back