Throttle body linkage parts

tireman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
There is a "C" shaped linkage item on the throttle body held in place by two small plastic sleeves. These sleeves crumble over time. Where do You get new ones? The dealer says you have to buy a new throttle body. Not so! These exact same little plastic sleeves are used elsewhere on the engine. I asked the Ford tech to search the schematics and show me the parts, yes exact matches found, used elsewhere on the engine. Now the bad part ,$16 dollars for two little plastic sleeves!!!!!!! So next I go to Lowes Home improvement store and check their hardware section and guess what? Almost identical sleeves for $.50, and you can actually use these sleeves. I posted this because I saw others having the same problem.

I just had this happen to me last night on my way home between two waves of severe thunderstorms (severe lightning, hail, tornado warnings etc). I threw the link back in place and didn't let off the gas to below 1000 RPM (if I did, it would fall back out). I rode the brakes when I had to to get home 30 miles away.
20150804_195818-1.gif

I found a suitable replacement part from Dorman... p/n 47099 for a package of five.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...099/17191140-P?searchTerm=dorman+help+bushing

I did have to sand a little bit off the thickness on the "finger" side to make room for the "E" clip. I also replaced the E clips with larger ones and pinched them shut a little with pliers. This gives the new plastic bushings more area to rest against.

If you buy the Ford one (I only saw it on Amazon) they whack you pretty good. $10 each or so (P/N F5RZ-9F955-AB) though they may not require the sanding I had to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Ford-F5RZ-9F9...&qid=1438782665&sr=8-1&keywords=F5RZ-9F955-AB

That's amazing stuff! Mine were gone a while ago, one broke out on a punch of the gas going through some lights, I had no throttle control and drifted through the lights. I pulled a tiny tie wrap out of my tool bag and zipped it tight into the e ring groove, and it lasted for months. I got a replacement engine in June and tried to pull these parts off the trashed throttle body on the replacement engine and they pretty much broke. What surprised me was that these clips do not seem to need e-rings, they do their own retaining by collapsing into the groove of the linkage. Even more surprising is that the holes in the throttle mechanism that these pop into are square!

Thanks for doing the leg work, really appreciate it. I found out with my Autel scanner recently that I can only open my throttle 73% with the way the linkage is now, with no remaining bushings, just e rings and tiny tie wraps! This will help a lot! Needless to say, my new engine MPGs are better than they ever were on the original engine. The 73% throttle opening is probably the reason!

That's amazing stuff! Mine were gone a while ago, one broke out on a punch of the gas going through some lights, I had no throttle control and drifted through the lights. I pulled a tiny tie wrap out of my tool bag and zipped it tight into the e ring groove, and it lasted for months. I got a replacement engine in June and tried to pull these parts off the trashed throttle body on the replacement engine and they pretty much broke. What surprised me was that these clips do not seem to need e-rings, they do their own retaining by collapsing into the groove of the linkage. Even more surprising is that the holes in the throttle mechanism that these pop into are square!

Thanks for doing the leg work, really appreciate it. I found out with my Autel scanner recently that I can only open my throttle 73% with the way the linkage is now, with no remaining bushings, just e rings and tiny tie wraps! This will help a lot! Needless to say, my new engine MPGs are better than they ever were on the original engine. The 73% throttle opening is probably the reason!

Yeah, I want to throw a DVM across the TPS to be sure its functioning normal. All seems well though.

I would not agree that the bushings alone do the job. The rod fairly easily pushed out of the new bushing without the clip in place. I may still replace the clips with those press on type washer. I'm not sure what they're called, but its like a self retaining metal washer. You'd have to break the washer to remove it, but it would seat much nicer against the 4 fingers of the bushing.

I do now keep the spare bushings and clips in the car along with some basic tools. Tie wraps would have made my ride home last night much less stressful.

Thanks again. I picked up the 5-clip pack from Advance last night and installed. As I had previously said, these clips provide the locking function and eliminate the use of any e-rings. I was able to confirm that last night, once you install the bushing/clips into the throttle mechanism, when you push the linkage through, it gets locked into that groove and will no longer move until you break the bushing/clip retainer. I had put e-rings on my old broken apart linkage to hang on to anything I could that was still there (which wasn't much) but I didn't see the need to reinstall those e-rings. The throttle is back to like new. It was kind of a trip getting used to it again. My first 25% of accelerator pedal movement was being absorbed in the broken linkage and now, it goes right to the throttle plate as soon as I touch the pedal. My first 20 miles of driving back roads was 'interesting' given that I have a manual transmission and had totally changed my driving style to expect that first travel of the pedal to do nothing but take the slack out of the cable. I kind of sounded like a 16 year old revving the engine as I would let the clutch out during moving shifts.

You can find the ford item on ebay now for about $7 shipped to your door

Members online

Back