Spare Wheel Width of Gen1 2002 Lincoln LS

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I found my spare tire blown out/shredded. No one has T185/60/17 spare/temporary use tires anywhere online, or local tire shops, or dealerships, no one seems to be able to order a tire that size either.

Anyone know the actual width of the spare wheel? I'd try to buy a normal tire to fit it, once I know the max width tire that would fit.

I am looking for a chrome stock 17" 5 spoke wheel, but I haven't found one of those locally, or on the local Craigslist or ebay... as I would use a stock wheel as a spare and put a real tire on it.

Other than finding a used LS stock wheel, I am trying to determine the max width tire that I could put on the existing spare wheel.

Last edited:
They came with different size spares. I'm pretty sure that your rim is only going to correctly fit a 185. I replaced the temporary spares in both of mine with full size tires. I don't know about your area, but it's easy to find LS rims at the local pick-n-pulls here.

Lincoln LS 2006 17" Factory OEM Wheel Rim | eBay

My wheel is different than that, looking for a matching Chrome Wheel. I could then put the same tire on it, and put it in the tire rotation, if I wanted to. So I would get a wheel to match my 17" Chrome 5 spoke.

I looked online at local pick-n-pulls and junk yards etc. today. I am going to just have to start making phone calls to junk yards (their online inventory list is not complete, and some don't have a website).

Last edited:
I see a couple of stock 5 spoke chrome wheels here:
17" lincoln ls chrome wheel | eBay

Guess I will have to go that route, if we can't get tires for the existing spare wheel.

Here is what my wheel looks like.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I gave up on online inventory for the local junkyards a long time ago. They don't keep up with it.

Even if the *car* inventory is close to correct, the *part* inventory won't be.
LS's are old enough to be common in the self-service yards, so just go shopping.

Unfortunate about the spare. The local Firestone swore up and down that they could get T tires no problem. Haven't actually tested them yet.

The spare tire, that is in there now that needs replaced, is a Firestone. Firestone was one of the first places that I called and they can't get one.

I called two other Firestones today, same story, can't get it.

Discount Tire can't get it (T185/60/17), but they said they can get a Kumho for $99 size 165/90/17, or a Yokohama for $121 size 165/80/17. Those just don't seem to be even close, question getting a tire that tall and that narrow, especially for over $100.

Images below have the original spare tire size T185/60/17 on the left, Kumho 165/90/17 in first image, Yokohama 165/80/17 in second image... (i.e. size comparisons to original spare tire size).

165-90-17.jpg

165-80-17.jpg

Last edited:
I bought what was supposed to be a "Grade A" condition used LS Chrome 5 Spoke Wheel off eBay. It came with chrome completely missing and corroded around center cap, but more importantly the inside wheel was corroded at the bead where the tire seals to the wheel (chrome pitted, missing, pealing up etc.) I don't trust the bead area. I got my money back.

I called a few local places and haven't found a used LS Gen1 Chrome 5 Spoke.

Looking to buy the cheapest New aftermarket wheel in correct size for '02 Lincoln LS Sport.
The LS sticky threads mention: Lincoln LS 5x108/5x1.25
Wheel: 17x7.5
What is the stock offset? +60mm? (I saw this mentioned on a thread, just want to make sure).
What is the bore size?

I see offsets of 35mm, 38mm, 40mm, 42mm, 45mm, 48mm and other offsets listed online for new aftermarket wheels when putting in make/model of '02 LS V8 Sport.

Can anyone recommend a cheap brand new wheel that I can use for a spare? Needs to be preferably 7.5" (or 8") as I use 255/45/17 tires. (Some online wheel search's are even displaying 17x7).

I want to buy 5 of the same sized tires, thought I'd look for a new wheel.
When using online websites they keep coming up with different offsets and different bore sizes.

(I think I am done searching for a used wheel and taking chances buying used without seeing it in person first).

Do I need to be concerned about the hub centric bore size using the online wheel search... if so, what is the correct size? (I see 72mm, 72.6mm, 73mm or 73.1mm mentioned online and others sizes).

Some of these aftermarket wheels sold online also come with "Required centering ring".

I don't want to spend $260 for a refurbished/remanufactured stock wheel off of ebay. I want a new full sized wheel to use as a spare in the correct size... but I am getting different offsets and bore sizes during searches... hence the questions above.

Examples:
Offset 45mm (Light Grey Painted $79): Price includes Hub Centering Ring and 5x Lug Nuts https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ectedRear=null&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted

Offset 38mm, Bore 73.1mm (Gloss Dark Grey $99): Plus $5 for Hub Centering Ring + $27 for 5x Lug Nuts = $132 https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-cross-ii

Edit: After many more thread reads, it appears the Bore Size is:
63.36mm ID to match the LS's hub - that was for a '06 LS, is it the same for '02?
And whatever the OD needed to fit the specific aftermarket wheel.

I wonder if this would actually fit and work for a spare (need hub centric ring and 5x lug nuts): 7.5x17 ET49 5x108 M14 x 1.5 65.1 ($50 Local Wheel w/Tire)
Wheel & Tire 225/50/r17 17" inch 7.5 5x108

00m0m_hKIFTw63wk6_1200x900.jpg

I need to confirm Offset and Bore before I go any further. (Brake system is stock).

Picture of the "Grade A" wheel that I received off of ebay is below. Inside wheel bead is in similar condition.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
That's some ugly corrosion, but I'd certainly be fine keeping that as a full sized spare as long as it sealed. I've had chrome ground off the bead of aluminum wheels when they started flaking and leaking, but actual corrosion could be a harder issue to handle

The craigslist wheel with a lot of spokes (volvo maybe?) looks like it takes regular cone-seat lug nuts. Keep in mind the LS uses flat washer seats, so you'd have to also buy 5 lugs to match the wheel type

There's a silver painted version of that wheel that's much more common if you want to keep a near-normal appearance without peeling issues.

Jaguar S-type wheels bolt right up with the same bore, offset, and lug type, so that's another potential local source if you're looking at a different wheel altogether. There's a really common 10-spoke 17x7.5 that can be had as low as $70 shipped from ebay

Personally, it doesn't make sense to me to rotate in the spare tire. I'd rather keep the spare as a spare and maintain just 4 tires regularly. There's a common 5-spoke 16" wheel as available as the 10 spoke above from base 00-03 S-types. Of course, there's plenty of alternate LS wheels in the same price range. I'd play it safe and avoid aftermarket 16s, as there can be caliper clearance issues

I have a 18x8 (+60mm) Jaguar "Zeus" front wheel with a 255/40/r18 as a spare. It lifts the trunk floor a bit. I'm not sure if it's more the tire width or more the spokes holding up the floor since there's a tire-sized recess on the bottom. I bought a staggered set of 4 from someone here and found out the hard way I should have asked for more pictures. They "didn't notice" the double-bent egg shape of this wheel. It didn't true correctly and has a slight wobble, so now it's a full size spare that fits over my StR brakes. I just threw a used tire on it since my local shop happened to have a mid life takeoff in my size from an AWD car

Thanks for the info. I am not looking to put the spare into rotation. I just need new tires, and a spare wheel (and tire for the spare). Thought it would be the simple way to go is to just get another stock wheel and 5x tires (my tires are 8 years old, dry rotting, cracks in tread and sidewalls, thought of keeping one for spare but it's too old).

I looked at other options on ebay, but don't have any confidence in buying used unseen (unless the posting has lots of pictures of the actual wheel being sold).

I might just buy this, comes with ring and 5 lug nuts... just need to know what the offset requirements/safe ranges are before buying. This one is 45mm:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ectedRear=null&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted

A few years back, I bought a couple of stock 17" rims off ebay to use as spares on both of my LSes. The rims were as pictured and worked just fine.

I don't know why Discount Tire, BigO, PepBoys, Firestone, Goodyear etc. couldn't find a 185/60/17 when I called them (nor could I find it online on various websites), but after reading some Thunderbird and Mustang threads on other websites (some of those cars came with that same spare tire size), I found this site mentioned below...

Here is where to get a Maxxis T185/60/17 Temporary Spare tire:
T185/60R17 102M M9500N

(My spare tire was a Firestone, and they no longer carry that size).

Last edited:
My 04 had one size spare, and my 06 had another size spare. I don't remember the two sizes though.
I switched to full size spares since they don't take up any more trunk space, and it takes a week or more to get new tires (nobody stocks the correct size in a decent tire). One time my wife hit something (unavoidable) in the road and it severely damaged both right side tires. She had to drive around on both spares for a week.

Of course, someone dropped a box of screws on an interstate bridge here a month ago. I think some had all four tires flattened.

I wanted a full size spare, and tried to get one. I bought a used chrome LS 5 spoke off of ebay, but it's in bad shape. I don't trust the bead to seal (the chrome is pealing, pitted, raised, and corroded in many places on both sides). The hub part is all rusted and corroded too. The whole point is for the spare to have air and not to have a slow leak. I'm just hesitant to buy used again sight unseen, and paying the cost of return shipping which is paid by the buyer if there is an issue. I'd prefer a stock wheel, as there is no need for a hub centric ring and different lug nuts. The link you sent me previously in January was a reman/refurb, and I would think you can trust that wheel condition easier than buying used like I did, I just don't want to spend that on a spare wheel (at least at this time). It's $260 for the chrome matching reman/refurb wheel with shipping, or $175 for a reman/refurb that doesn't match. I'm not spending that kind of money, plus the cost of a tire, for a spare... when the priority is getting 4 new tires. I was just wanting to get a wheel now, so I could put one of the old tires on it, just for now, when I get a new set of tires... or get 5 new tires. I need to find a used one locally and check it out first. I put the old spare and the used ebay wheel at the curb this AM, for the annual bulk trash pickup coming on Monday (then I just went out and brought them back after thinking about grinding the used one, or buying the T185/60/17 tire that I just found). I don't think grinding the bead area is an option as the hub is a wreck too... so I think I can put the used one back at the curb for pickup.

Last edited:
If you are not picky about the rim being the same model as your others, it should be easy to find what you want at your local pick-n-pull. At my local one now, there are a few LSes that still have some of the wheels on, including tires that might be good enough to be spares. Looks like they charge $33 for aluminum wheels.

I wanted a full size spare, and tried to get one. I bought a used chrome LS 5 spoke off of ebay, but it's in bad shape. I don't trust the bead to seal (the chrome is pealing, pitted, raised, and corroded in many places on both sides). The hub part is all rusted and corroded too. The whole point is for the spare to have air and not to have a slow leak. I'm just hesitant to buy used again sight unseen, and paying the cost of return shipping which is paid by the buyer if there is an issue. I'd prefer a stock wheel, as there is no need for a hub centric ring and different lug nuts. The link you sent me previously in January was a reman/refurb, and I would think you can trust that wheel condition easier than buying used like I did, I just don't want to spend that on a spare wheel (at least at this time). It's $260 for the chrome matching reman/refurb wheel with shipping, or $175 for a reman/refurb that doesn't match. I'm not spending that kind of money, plus the cost of a tire, for a spare... when the priority is getting 4 new tires. I was just wanting to get a wheel now, so I could put one of the old tires on it, just for now, when I get a new set of tires... or get 5 new tires. I need to find a used one locally and check it out first. I put the old spare and the used ebay wheel at the curb this AM, for the annual bulk trash pickup coming on Monday (then I just went out and brought them back after thinking about grinding the used one, or buying the T185/60/17 tire that I just found). I don't think grinding the bead area is an option as the hub is a wreck too... so I think I can put the used one back at the curb for pickup.
I have four 17" 5 bolt OEM Chrome wheels that I'm pretty much giving away...I will post pics tomorrow...they are pretty rough but I think they would be perfect for spare

I used a 2" Shaft Mounted Polycarbide Abrasive Wheel that I bought for $2 at Harbor Freight and put it on a drill and smoothed out the hub area, the wheel bead seat area as much as possible, ground off loose chrome/rust/corrosion etc. on the bead, on the inside of the wheel and on the outside where the center cap goes.

94013_W3.jpg

Discount Tire today used a wire wheel brush and also cleaned it up the best they could, put some bead sealer on it, mounted one of my old tires on this used eBay wheel and then put it in the trunk. Time will tell if it holds air.

4 New Nitto NT555 G2 255/45/17 tires put on the car today, all are DOT Date Code: 2819. They price matched Walmart's cheaper price, and I got a 10% discount on a labor day sale last Saturday via a pre-paid Mastercard. They said Discount Tire uses road force balancing machines at all of their stores now.

Thank you all for the help.

Below is a picture of one of the bead seat areas after I knocked it down with a hand held wire brush and then washed it off (i.e. this is before using the polycarbide abrasive wheel and wire wheel to clean it up further).

Done for now.

P.S. The small spare wheel that came with my car was 5" wide (i.e. 5"x17").

IMG_20190831_161010.jpg

Last edited:
I switched to full size spares since they don't take up any more trunk space,

^^^ This.

Search for an LKQ junkyard in your area. They might gave a "takeoff" or 2 lying around.

Rock Auto also sells refurbs... but stock was dwindling ladt time I checked.

45mm offset is quite a bit. You might experience premature front wheel hub failures.

I had already called around and couldn't find any used locally in a yard or Pick-n-Pulls.

I bought the above used full size spare off of ebay, cleaned it up, put some bead sealer on it, put on an old tire, and it's now in the trunk as the spare.

P.S. Day 3 and the spare is still holding air.

($281.98 = RockAuto $242.99 for Wheel + $38.99 Shipping = Reconditioned Chrome 5 Spoke)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back