97 Mark no crank no start

mmikeman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so my Mark 8 had to unfortunately sit for the past few months due to the nasty Winter full of rain and ice, during these months I managed to kill a battery from it sitting, I would at least boost the car once every 2-3 weeks to keep the fluids flowing and rust off the brakes, went to go put it back on the road with a new battery and it started ran like a champ, parked it and let it sit a few days again and go to start, nothing but relays clicking under the dash and a check engine light no crank at all, found the relays by going in through the glovebox and underneath the steering wheel they appear the all by the same "F0ab 14b193ab" swapped them around and still won't start, tried resplicing positive and negative cables with new terminals those appear to be fine as well battery has good voltage all fuses relays are fine, visually looked at the starter and observed no rust or corrosion on it there is no clicking coming from that, I did notice in the glovebox there was a lot of moisture build up...took a hair dryer to it to dry it out but still no go, anything I might be missing here before I go digging around with volt meter? No antitheft light either unless I mess with fuses so I don't think I can blame that yet at this point either

It seems that didn't work also tried new connector on positive terminal it seems removing the starter relay and fuses does not change the behaviour I think it's the neutral safety switch since I messed with the shifter last is this hard to replace? Any way to bypass it temporarily to test the starter?

Update I took off the neutral safety switch connector tried spraying with contact cleaner no dice I noticed when I tried to start it this time with that disconnected I heard a click near the tranny which would probably be happening if the switch is bad? I did find some wires coming from the starter I'm thinking about just going directly into the battery with them seeing if I get crank at least or some signs of life

Might be a dumb question, but the solenoid wire is the skinny red wire running under the engine fusebox? I noticed it has a connector and was told I could run a decent guage wire between the metal pin on the male and female connectors to get it going

Update so I got out an electric test light start relay all relays inside appeared to be functioning properly noticed when trying to start I was getting power out of the solenoid under the fuse box but no power down at the starter the cables look good, also tried to jump it using the red wire and it drained my battery super quick I think I definitely have a seized starter or the wire on top has burned frayed gone bad

Members online

Back