Transmission Issues

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
It's been a long while since I been on here but my 06 I got last year starting shifting hard and delayed engagement. It also would shift hard in reverse. I suspected the solenoids were bad and had taken it to a transmission shop before who told me most likely it indeed was the solenoid going back. Long story short I went online and bought a Ford OEM solenoid with the updated design for $200 along with a shift kit for 100.00 Got a call from the trans shop yesterday 1st saying the valve body was bad and needing replacing. He went and bought that and said he would replace that and install all the parts at the same time. He called yesterday evening saying it was still shifting hard after replacement and now throwing a code. he didn't say which code. He advised that maybe my part was bad or defective and would further check it out tomorrow.

He called today basically saying same thing and said that it may be electrical as he don't think it's internal to the transmission. I'm beyond frustrated at this point as it's been over a week as he also replaced other things non transmission and I'm wondering if it indeed is something like the PCM. I called Lincoln and they said they can do a reflash of the PCM but that's not a guarantee and it may or may not work. That's another 250.00 just for that.

My question how likely is it the PCM? The dealer basically said they wouldn't know if it was damaged or not but they could reflash it if it needed a update. Coils and plugs were done btw this summer.

If it's the PCM, then a reflash would not help. It can be tested. Basically you command it to source a particular amount of current to each solenoid (one at a time) while measuring the current. If the measured amount does not match the commanded amount, the PCM has a fault.

SIA does PCM testing and repair.
Lincoln ECM / ECU Repair & Return Archives - SIA Electronics

He installed another solenoid block in the car and it's still doing the same thing. He also checked the connector to the transmission and replaced the valve body and those are fine. he suspects at this point that there is no issue with the transmission but with the computer as he mentioned that he worked on this same car same year a few years ago and installed 3 different transmissions and finally changed the computer and that fixed it.

PCM failure does not typically give this code (not impossible, I guess). I would carefully check the connectors and the wiring between the solenoid assembly and the PCM. I think it's more likely that the problem is there. The solenoid assembly connector seems to be easy to damage, probably because you can't see it while mating it.

Members online

Back