2002 Lincoln LS V6 P0413 and P1414

Itzyaboy Jo

LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I posted previously about a broken air line which ended up being the air intake tube assembly. Ordered part from dealer and installed it and lean codes cleared and didn't reappear. Prior to such, I had the secondary air injection pump replaced along with the EGR valve. After driving the vehicle to prepare for emissions testing the engine light came back on and the code for the secondary air pump (insufficient air flow) came up again, along with the code for O2 sensor bank one (slow response). Took it to an emission specialty shop and by the time I got it there the O2 code was cleared on it's own and the only one left was the secondary air pump code. The technician said that the pump was most likely not getting power due to a bad connection in the wiring or at the relay (which I'm told is a solid state relay located somewhere near the air pump).

I took the vehicle back to the shop that installed the secondary air pump and they confirmed that the original code was back on and that code P1414 also came up which is stating there's high voltage going to the secondary air pump. One of the technicians called me and said that he did a voltage check and the voltage was reading only 3 volts so they're not sure why the code is for high voltage. They also said that there was corrosion on the wiring at the relay point. I did some online research and there is indication that it could be a stuck solenoid causing the second code, which would in turn cause the primary code of insufficient flow. I've been trying to find a diagram online of the total emission system so that I may grasp an understanding of how it flows for myself. I'm told there is a solenoid as well as a check valve which comes before the pump in the system but I've not been able to find these parts when searching for them in stores online.

If anyone is familiar with this issue I'd appreciate the assistance. I've only had the vehicle since the 3rd of December and only drove it for 2 weeks as it was in the shop the first week and just went back in Christmas eve. Need to pass the emission so I can get back on the road ASAP!

Also, I read somewhere that the high voltage code is usually due to a short somewhere and that a fuse may be blown, but I checked the 20 cartridge fuse (#9 I believe it was) under the hood and it is good, are there fuses or relays located elsewhere that are also associated with the pump?

Members online

Back