Fuel Pressure Regulator?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to chase down a RICH and LEAN problem on my 2001 Lincoln LS V8 for awhile now... I guess the question is this...Is it worth throwing one last Hail Mary at my car and replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator before I bring it to the mechanic and have them diagnose the timing chain? Any thoughts? Thanks

Since the LS does not have a fuel pressure regulator (it's a returnless system), that should be a pretty good trick.

Yes. It's been discussed a fair bit lately. It's at the front end of the fuel rail on the passenger side of the engine. It's also another one of those things where the OEM ones seem way better than the aftermarket.
Personally, if I really thought it was fuel press, then I would connect a mechanical gauge and compare it to the scan tool reading.

It must be something that likes to happen in the cold! My 01 LS started having long cranks and it's fuel pressure for sure. If you prime the pump with the key a few times giving it like 10 seconds each on cycle it will crank and run quite fine but that first cold crank is quite fun to do. I gotta get my hands on some gauges and check it out but I think most likely it's them plastic lines on the fuel pump. I bet them things tend to crack overtime just like all the other plastic stuff in these cars. I have done a full tune up and a bunch of other things including changing the fuel filter and that all did not help. No Codes and once the car cranks after all that fun it runs perfect. Even a tank of Ethanol Free Premium 93 Octane did not help it at all.

It must be something that likes to happen in the cold! My 01 LS started having long cranks and it's fuel pressure for sure. If you prime the pump with the key a few times giving it like 10 seconds each on cycle it will crank and run quite fine but that first cold crank is quite fun to do. I gotta get my hands on some gauges and check it out but I think most likely it's them plastic lines on the fuel pump. I bet them things tend to crack overtime just like all the other plastic stuff in these cars. I have done a full tune up and a bunch of other things including changing the fuel filter and that all did not help. No Codes and once the car cranks after all that fun it runs perfect. Even a tank of Ethanol Free Premium 93 Octane did not help it at all.
I had quite a go at the fuel pump module on my last 01’ LS V8 and if you’re not seeing gas on top of the module underneath back passenger seat I could almost guarantee it’s not the fuel line plumbing but instead it’s most likely your fuel pump going out and having intermittent issues...I would also suggest replacing your fuel pump relay and 5 amp fuse in trunk fuse box...I’m sure I heard you in recent post say you replaced your fuel filter so it’s more than likely fine and dandy ...now while removing the connectors from fuel pump assembly is another story it’s a finicky process which takes patience and a lot of luck due to the fuel pump assembly holes are a major PITA to work with and I know from experience if I ever need to change it out again I’m going to buy the removal tool

I had quite a go at the fuel pump module on my last 01’ LS V8 and if you’re not seeing gas on top of the module underneath back passenger seat I could almost guarantee it’s not the fuel line plumbing but instead it’s most likely your fuel pump going out and having intermittent issues...I would also suggest replacing your fuel pump relay and 5 amp fuse in trunk fuse box...I’m sure I heard you in recent post say you replaced your fuel filter so it’s more than likely fine and dandy ...now while removing the connectors from fuel pump assembly is another story it’s a finicky process which takes patience and a lot of luck due to the fuel pump assembly holes are a major PITA to work with and I know from experience if I ever need to change it out again I’m going to buy the removal tool
Changed out my fuel pump today and it did not make any difference at all. So gonna look at the Pressure Sensor next. I had also changed the fuel filter last week but I will change it again just in case, cause the old one was in pretty rough shape.

Changed out my fuel pump today and it did not make any difference at all. So gonna look at the Pressure Sensor next. I had also changed the fuel filter last week but I will change it again just in case, cause the old one was in pretty rough shape.
Did you disconnect battery and erase all KAM? The fuel system will resort back to factory settings ...after changing my Fuel pump assembly Module it was still running like crap so in my case I disconnected the battery and “Poof” shestarted and ran like a dream

Did you disconnect battery and erase all KAM? The fuel system will resort back to factory settings ...after changing my Fuel pump assembly Module it was still running like crap so in my case I disconnected the battery and “Poof” shestarted and ran like a dream
Yes I did and I used Forscan to reset everything but that did not help at all either.

Has there been any new DTC's after changing out the pump? What brand did you use?
I got the one at the Auto Zone and I would rather had got the motorcraft one but this was all I could do at this time. Plus I don't think my old pump was bad so I may just reinstall the old one. It acts exactly the same as it did before so I am gonna have to find someone with a fuel gauge in the morning. Can you link me to the correct OEM Fuel pressure sensor. And where is it exactly located and is there a easy way to test the old one? And there has not been any new codes.

I got the one at the Auto Zone and I would rather had got the motorcraft one but this was all I could do at this time. Plus I don't think my old pump was bad so I may just reinstall the old one. It acts exactly the same as it did before so I am gonna have to find someone with a fuel gauge in the morning. Can you link me to the correct OEM Fuel pressure sensor. And where is it exactly located and is there a easy way to test the old one? And there has not been any new codes.
I did a quick search online and nothing popped up but aftermarket sensors, I will give Tasca a call and get back to you

I had to replace the one on my 2003 which is probably a different part number. It was the cause of pressure fluctuations within my fuel system, also sometimes going high in pressure and enriching the F/A ratio. I had spare fuel pumps and REM, but neither of those were the issue. At the time the Motorcraft part was on national backorder so flipping the other parts was done in the meantime.

I had the code for the pressure and Forscan readings that showed the issue.

I did a quick search online and nothing popped up but aftermarket sensors, I will give Tasca a call and get back to you
Is this it ? XW4Z-9F972-BA - Ford Parts Giant
How hard is it to change ? If nothing else was gonna try my hand at the junk yard.
Edit:
I went ahead and took it to a shop to at least get the issue pinpointed. Because the car started cutting off when in idle at the stop lights and stop signs. I had the alternator and battery tested 3 different times today to make sure that stuff was still good! I Will know by tomorrow afternoon hopefully what is wrong.

Last edited:
After a whole day in the shop they have no answers for me the only thing they have said that they have seen is the fuel pressure is a little lower than it should be and they tried to say it was OK but I have my doubts about that statement to be honest. The car has not stuttered or stalled once with them they said it's just had the long cranking issue. The only issue it has shown to the shop is the long cranking on the first time they cranked it this morning. Does anyone think the EGR or the Fuel pressure sensor could be suspect? The car is not throwing any codes at all and has ran fine for hours at the shop. I will say that when we took off the valve cover gaskets the pressure that released from the fuel line on the top of the motor was not very strong. The pressure was much stronger when I swapped out the fuel filter so I did not know if that could be a sign of anything. I know that on my other LS when releasing that fuel line on the motor it sprayed a lot more pressure out than this one did.

Last edited:
After a whole day in the shop they have no answers for me the only thing they have said that they have seen is the fuel pressure is a little lower than it should be and they tried to say it was OK but I have my doubts about that statement to be honest. The car has not stuttered or stalled once with them they said it's just had the long cranking issue. The only issue it has shown to the shop is the long cranking on the first time they cranked it this morning. Does anyone think the EGR or the Fuel pressure solenoid could be suspect? The car is not throwing any codes at all and has ran fine for hours at the shop. I will say that when we took off the valve cover gaskets the pressure that released from the fuel line on the top of the motor was not very strong. The pressure was much stronger when I swapped out the fuel filter so I did not know if that could be a sign of anything. I know that on my other LS when releasing that fuel line on the motor it sprayed a lot more pressure out than this one did.
Run some fuel injector cleaner through it a couple times and what is your battery testing out at?

After a whole day in the shop they have no answers for me the only thing they have said that they have seen is the fuel pressure is a little lower than it should be and they tried to say it was OK but I have my doubts about that statement to be honest. The car has not stuttered or stalled once with them they said it's just had the long cranking issue. The only issue it has shown to the shop is the long cranking on the first time they cranked it this morning. Does anyone think the EGR or the Fuel pressure solenoid could be suspect? The car is not throwing any codes at all and has ran fine for hours at the shop. I will say that when we took off the valve cover gaskets the pressure that released from the fuel line on the top of the motor was not very strong. The pressure was much stronger when I swapped out the fuel filter so I did not know if that could be a sign of anything. I know that on my other LS when releasing that fuel line on the motor it sprayed a lot more pressure out than this one did.
The pressure could've been less due to the shop loosening the gas cap before unhooking the lines...Did you change out the fuel pump only or the whole fuel pump assembly module?

"Fuel pressure solenoid?" Who told you there was such a thing on the LS?
I doubt it's EGR related. There was a TSB a long time back about poor starting. I think it called for flashing new code into the PCM. Your symptoms sound like an IAC problem.
Gas cap has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

"Fuel pressure solenoid?" Who told you there was such a thing on the LS?
I doubt it's EGR related. There was a TSB a long time back about poor starting. I think it called for flashing new code into the PCM. Your symptoms sound like an IAC problem.
Gas cap has nothing to do with fuel pressure.
Meant to say sensor my bad.

Meant to say sensor my bad.
If you brought your Lincoln to a respectable and knowledgable shop ...and when I say knowledgable I mean a shop that knows about the Lincoln LS and mechanics that have worked on them ...then you can rest assured that your fuel pressure is running adequate ...Out of curiosity did they say there is a way to test the fuel pressure sensor? If so did they test it...what is the Lincoln LS's fuel pressure suppose to be reading? Did they give you any numbers? PSI? Have you ever replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) Joegr has been right a thousand more times than he's been wrong so I would check that out ...one of the symptoms or potential issues is (Engine Stalling)

If you brought your Lincoln to a respectable and knowledgable shop ...and when I say knowledgable I mean a shop that knows about the Lincoln LS and mechanics that have worked on them ...then you can rest assured that your fuel pressure is running adequate ...Out of curiosity did they say there is a way to test the fuel pressure sensor? If so did they test it...what is the Lincoln LS's fuel pressure suppose to be reading? Did they give you any numbers? PSI? Have you ever replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) Joegr has been right a thousand more times than he's been wrong so I would check that out ...one of the symptoms or potential issues is (Engine Stalling)

That is the problem around here I don't trust the dealership at all. I am trying to ask around to find someone that can do this honestly. I got the car back and the long cranking issue was fixed and the stalling as well so far. They said there was an air duct lose near the throttle body. I will call back the shop in the morning to see if they can clarify that a bit more. The stuttering went away though and I got a Check engine light on the way home P-0420 and P-0420-C I doubt the Cat is bad but I guess that is possible. I had taken it to a shop before and they said they didn't think it was bad. I am guessing it's a fuel injector causing the issue but I have to find a good mechanic. I used my ForScan tool tonight and got this
1.jpg
2.jpg

Edit:
Long crank came back that shop was worthless.

Last edited:
That is the problem around here I don't trust the dealership at all. I am trying to ask around to find someone that can do this honestly. I got the car back and the long cranking issue was fixed and the stalling as well so far. They said there was an air duct lose near the throttle body. I will call back the shop in the morning to see if they can clarify that a bit more. The stuttering went away though and I got a Check engine light on the way home P-0420 and P-0420-C I doubt the Cat is bad but I guess that is possible. I had taken it to a shop before and they said they didn't think it was bad. I am guessing it's a fuel injector causing the issue but I have to find a good mechanic. I used my ForScan tool tonight and got this
View attachment 828571132 View attachment 828571133

Edit:
Long crank came back that shop was worthless.
I know it's frustrating when you know more about the car thanks to LVC compared to the mechanic that you're paying to diagnose it...I guess I've been wondering this...When you say long crank, how many times does it crank before she fires off?

I know it's frustrating when you know more about the car thanks to LVC compared to the mechanic that you're paying to diagnose it...I guess I've been wondering this...When you say long crank, how many times does it crank before she fires off?
Well just a few mins ago it took 8 secs and failed, it took 4 tries to crank. And was a miserable start when it finally did.

Members online

No members online now.
Back