Bank 1 and bank 2 lean

Vince

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm showing codes on my 2004 Lincoln LS p2195 p2197 P0171 and it's saying my system is lean I've checked for vacuum leaks what else could be causing this is it a bad O2 sensor?

How did you check for leaks?
What about the MAF?

How did you check for leaks?
What about the MAF?
This is a fun one that I dealt with for a year...It did come down to unmetered air (vacuum leak). I ultimately found mine with propane and monitoring the short term fuel trims with a OBD2 app. If your STFT are near zero while you are driving but climb at idle, you have unmetered air.

If you can see your fuel trims going up and down, most likely, the O2 sensors are ok.

And, do what Joe says, he helped me!

V 6 or v 8 . I had a 04 v 6 it ended up being a faulty aftermarket E G R Valve. Motorcraft only bro.

V 6 or v 8 . I had a 04 v 6 it ended up being a faulty aftermarket E G R Valve. Motorcraft only bro.

Does it run rough when its very cold. I would most likely suspect a faulty eve valve not fully closing when cold.trust me I have fixed myself every issue I could myself on the ls v 6. I know this car more than most.

Does it run rough when its very cold. I would most likely suspect a faulty E G R valve not fully closing when cold.trust me I have fixed myself every issue I could myself on the ls v 6. I know this car more than most. I have done injectors tune up lower gaskets. U name it. With my own hands.

^ Nice!

( I love the Internet)

Good morning all. I know this is an old thread but I hope my input can help someone out there who may be new here and has an issue like this. I am not a super technical guy I just like to get to the problem and fix it. I have a 2001 LS V8. I had the codes p0171 and p0174. If all else fails like with me including the MAF, vacuum leaks, clogged fuel filter or air cleaner and bad injectors look towards the fuel pumps. I pulled both pumps and found they both had broken fuel hoses. Strange I know but my car sat for a while (over a year with low fuel in tank) which I believe cause the hoses to dry out and break once I started using car again. I put a small slit in old hose to remove and replaced with rubber fuel line and worm clamps. She starts up first try every time and runs like a champ. Hope this helps someone.

Here's another one.
I was getting those codes and for the life of me, struggled to find out what it was.
I knew a few things it couldn't be, or least hoped so...
The coils and plugs were new, replaced myself.
The EGR valve was new, replaced that myself as well.
The Fuel filter was new...What a PITA to get at.
So, with all of these parts having less than 10k miles on them, I was looking for vacuum leaks, tempted to replace the intake manifold gaskets for chits and giggles and glad I didn't.

The car ran fine, when cold, when warm, uphill, downhill, sideways...No issues. I would clear the codes over and over but they came coming back. Lean on this side, lean on that side, lean on both sides...etc

Then one day, I was filling her up and noticed something amiss on the gas cap. After taking a good look at it, the seal was shot and there was a crack developing on the cap itself. Vatozone was the only place in town that had a replacement. After replacing the cap, cleared the codes and they never returned as long as I owned the car.

My buddy, who owns his own auto repair shop, told me, " That can't be right...It should have thrown a different code, one for the Evap emissions system or something similar."

I told him, " Whatever code should have been thrown, it ain't came back and I'll take it."

Members online

No members online now.
Back