2006 LS random rattling sound when idle?

tristangoesham

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
You can hear it at about 15-17 seconds. I have no idea what it is. It comes and goes every 10 seconds or so. I haven't heard it when driving, just idle, but that could be due to the fact I can't hear it because I'm driving.

Sounds like it could be the AC clutch.
Turn the climate control off and see if it does it all the time at idle then.
(If it is the clutch, it's not really a problem. - You could adjust the air gap to get rid of it, but not worth the effort really.)

It was off. Just tried messing with all the air settings and it didn't affect the noise.

Try spraying a little lubricant on the tensioner and idler pulleys. See if it's a bad bearing there. Next suspect after those is the alternator.

Wasnt there a thread on the Gen II with a harmonic balancer issue that made rattling/clicking sounds on cold start ups. Can’t hear the video to see if it’s the same sound here. If it’s totally different, disregard.

What I hear from 15-17 seconds sounds like a power steering pump that is either low on fluid or has air in it.

-Rod

Just replace the belt tentioner, idler pulley and belt. Use OEM only.

Wasnt there a thread on the Gen II with a harmonic balancer issue that made rattling/clicking sounds on cold start ups. Can’t hear the video to see if it’s the same sound here. If it’s totally different, disregard.

Still having this problem. I'm afraid it's the harmonic balancer. Anyone done this job before?

Members online

No members online now.
Back