Frame on ground

BILLBOATS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have bought the parts to rebuild the 96 mk 8's air ride. Compressor not running . Just answers Lincoln Mechanic says with a special scanner(I own a super star 2) I could get the air selionods to open allowing manually to put air into it with my 4 hp air compressor. Where is the opening to insert a home air compressor hose into the mark for a by pass to get the darn air into the air springs so I can drive the care in to my own Garage 15 feet away. Then I can put it on jack stands. Replacing 2 air front struts, a new compressor, 2 new air springs rear, 2 new shocks, all new selinoids. . But the stuff useless until I can get her to rise up.

There is no factory air schrader valve to pump up bags with air compressor
A lincoln tech say its going to sit where its at untyill I can get the traveling computer programs service to attempt to signal the selionoid valves to open provided I can get axcess to the air inlet in the compressor and thats hard since either take off the inner fender well or the fron bumper assembly.Can't jack it up very easy . Will the left front corner of the rocker pannel be strong enough to allow the car to lift?

A lincoln tech say its going to sit where its at untyill I can get the traveling computer programs service to attempt to signal the selionoid valves to open provided I can get axcess to the air inlet in the compressor and thats hard since either take off the inner fender well or the fron bumper assembly.Can't jack it up very easy . Will the left front corner of the rocker pannel be strong enough to allow the car to lift?

Another slammed Mark VIII, I once drove mine on the PA turnpike for almost 100 nerve-racking miles slammed when a front bag blew out unexpectedly...

Last edited:
Ive read these air ride problem posts for years and am again glad I quit coddling these unreliable systems for Strutmaster springs. Too many things go wrong, and if it leaks for any reason, the car becomes a planter. Drive it up onto 2x4's, install springs. You're done. Or fix it, and go through it again sometime in the future,:eek:

Ive read these air ride problem posts for years and am again glad I quit coddling these unreliable systems for Strutmaster springs. Too many things go wrong, and if it leaks for any reason, the car becomes a planter. Drive it up onto 2x4's, install springs. You're done. Or fix it, and go through it again sometime in the future,:eek:

I agree. I went with strutmasters. They each use EIBACH coil springs. Awesome quality! My car rides nice with them and it's nice knowing I dont have to deal with that nightmare.

Driving it up 2x4 sounds like a way to get it up 2 inches so I could jack it up from tthere.

Driving it up 2x4 sounds like a way to get it up 2 inches so I could jack it up from tthere.
I could lay a 1/2 plywood in front of the wheels proped up slightly with 2x4 so car would be raising up as it was driven

Is there a connection between getting my frame up off ground and the thunderbird rear suspension bar?
"Some assembly required" Sorry....
Here, I'll do it;
There was talk on this thread of converting the suspension to springs.
I politely suggested using SC suspension and sway bar.
The sway bar was mentioned because unlike the Mark rear sway bar, the SC one is solid.
This will likely be desirable to those Mark owners who want the car more flat in turns.
That is the connection.
Twice now, snippiness from people I try to help on this forum..
:/

Sounds like shes in a tuff spot. I'd get creative. If you had a cherry picker, you might be able to lift the front from the engine bay. Or Try slipping a bottle jack down in between the engine and rad and wedging it up into something strong to lift it. You could maybe pop the center caps off the wheels. If you could get a block of wood on the jack, and lift it from the lug nuts. Or slip a large pipe over the hub, and jack it that up at axle shaft. Lift it just enough and add some blocks here and there till you can get a regular jack under. Slip 4 dolly's underneath to roll it out. Either way be very careful please. I attached some pics of the underneath of my 1994 when it was on the lift. Hope that gives you a better look.

94 Lincoln Mark 8_Underneath 1.jpg

94 Lincoln Mark 8_Underneath 2.jpg

94 Mark 8_Right Rear brake bleed.jpg

Sounds like shes in a tuff spot. I'd get creative. If you had a cherry picker, you might be able to lift the front from the engine bay. Or Try slipping a bottle jack down in between the engine and rad and wedging it up into something strong to lift it. You could maybe pop the center caps off the wheels. If you could get a block of wood on the jack, and lift it from the lug nuts. Or slip a large pipe over the hub, and jack it that up at axle shaft. Lift it just enough and add some blocks here and there till you can get a regular jack under. Slip 4 dolly's underneath to roll it out. Either way be very careful please. I attached some pics of the underneath of my 1994 when it was on the lift. Hope that gives you a better look.

View attachment 828570879

View attachment 828570880

View attachment 828570881
Your inventive answers are well appreciated. I know its been years but I think a tow truck with a wheel lift might be able to snatch it by its wheels and lift the car. That is my next move.

You can but how much will a tow truck cost?
Use the suggestion from up thread. Drive the car up on one or more 2X4's. Then you have room for a floor jack.

You can but how much will a tow truck cost?
Use the suggestion from up thread. Drive the car up on one or more 2X4's. Then you have room for a floor jack.
Getting the car raised up after 3 yearts is more important than the estimated 100 to 150 cost of tow truck service.

Rear wheels spin on bare ground, 100 to 150.00 well worth it over another year car stranded

Members online

Back