What ignition coils are the best???

So there are no aftermarket coils that are as dependable as the Motorcraft ones, other than the Visteon's that no longer exist apparently, right?

You got that right Son, I just got my hands on the last few available 60-1008 Visteons, at a steal of a price to I might add.

Going on my auto stock piling shelf downstairs in my shop.

First sign of troubles with these new DG529's I put in not too long ago, the Visteons go in, after those are done, I've already got the HitePerformance Accel hold downs, then Mustang Accels would go in.

Just need to add some secondary timing chain tentioners, degass bottle and a used transmission and I can finally get some sleep at night.

I should have bought like 5 sets of visteons.

My local Advance auto has BWD coils listed for $44.99 a piece, and rockauto has the motorcrafts DG529 listed for $45.79 a piece. Plus shipping of course, but with a 5% discount you can find anywhere the total for 8 motorcraft coils comes to $356.98 vs $359.92 for BWD asssuming you dont need them shipped.

Why would you buy BWD? :confused:

you can get $20 off every $50 purchase at advance auto with a coupon code. thats 40% off. just make seperate orders for each coil to maximize the discount. also shopdiscover.com offers 10% off at advance auto. plus lifetime warranty on BWD.
so my math looks like this (assuming 44.99 is the correct price and i made seperate orders for each coil and included another $5 worth of products to reach the $50 threshold per order):
44.99 - 18 = 26.99 - 2.70 = 24.29 per coil plus tax
so for the 8 coils i would only pay $194.32 (plus tax) and pick them up at my local advance auto. i would obviously also have to buy some other products to meet the $50 threshold for the coupon to be eligible for this discount. hope this helps..

For those of you replacing coils, what other parts are you replacing also? Intake gaskets? Do we get easy access to the pcv hose? I worked for Mazda, and the v6's were a pain to get to the rear coils and pcv hose.

thanks.

I was changing them one at a time for a while and was using OEM plugs. I decided to do them all when I had to replace my valve gasket and I went with, i know not recommended, a brand from Amazon. the cost was outrageously low and concerning at the time.

I have had no problems with failure, as of yet. While replacing them I had a problem this the plastic on one breaking where you bolt it in. I epoxied it and replaced with no problem. I currently have 30k on them.

I also kept the the new OEM ones incase I started having problems so i could buy four more and be set.

Has anyone else had different luck with these?

http://www.amazon.com/DG509-DG515-DG529-Lincoln-Ignition/dp/B0051E4AMY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Made in USA very rarely has anything to do with the quality, it comes down to design and materials used, not whether an over paid union fan boy made it or a 14 year old Chinese kid made it. The whole reason they send stuff to china is due to the unions demanding way to much money as well as all the money our government commands from these companies, business would have to shut down before making a profit in this country.

That being said, I have the bwd or whatever due to cost and have no issues, I also have 2 original coils at 103,xxx miles

Half the people here won't own the car long enough to do em twice so get what fits your wallet.

I doubt "a union fanboy" made the factory coils, pretty sure Ford contracts them to another company. Yup you're right, Unions are the complete demise of the American economy. It has nothing to do with the greedy fat paycheck executives. This makes sense, lets run our company into the ground, cry to the government for money and then give ourselves bonuses with it. Multiple years later we won't learn our lesson and be in a financial mess once again!

For those of you replacing coils, what other parts are you replacing also? Intake gaskets? Do we get easy access to the pcv hose? I worked for Mazda, and the v6's were a pain to get to the rear coils and pcv hose.

thanks.

When my coils kept going we figured out (my case specifically) that water was leaking in through the cowl seal (it was bad) and pouring onto the back portion of the valve cover. The coil cover seals were also bad so this leaking water would seep into the valley and destroy the coils. So, I replaced the cowl seal and both coil covers and have had zero issues. Also we found oil in the drivers side valley which was coming from the base of the oil fill tube. I just black siliconed the base of the filler neck which solved that problem.

water was leaking in through the cowl seal (it was bad) and pouring onto the back portion of the valve cover.

had this same problem, while replacing the seals, i also added silicone to the coil covers in case the new seals fail too.

If anyone is looking for oem coils I got 6 of the DG-529s that I'll sell for a deal

Just thought Id throw that out there lol

So I got a CEL.

Replaced ignition coils, CEL went off. The ones in my motor were done by previous owner @67k Miles. Only 15,000 miles and one coil died.
BAND: Delphi

I also did notice the plugs were done at the same time. All work done by Active Green and Ross. SO I suspect possibility of faulty sparks. Will be replacing them as well hopefully today with NGK Laser cut Platinum.
The new brand of coils I put are "Standard". I refuse to pay $100 for Fords "made in china" that apparently only lasted 52k Miles from factory ;)

So far with standard only one thing I'm not impressed with. Out of 8 coils, 2 shipped with green tops instead of black. Either standard gave me 2 old stock or they are changing suppliers. Dunno but I might go back to the seller who is local and keep swapping until all 8 are black tops (I would like uniformity in my ignition coils).

Edit:
On my first LS, the 2002, 4 months into owning it the coils died hard. Car was 84k miles. After replacing with cheap ones, car went from 2007 - 2012 and those coils died at around 143k Miles which gave them about 59k miles. Dunno what brand.
Replaced them with $10 Chinese ones from ebay, and sold the car at 178k miles and none had failed (which puts them at 35k miles + ).

I honestly think its the luck of the draw with these things at this point. Some users had bad experience with motocraft, other with aftermarket. Some had really bad experience with cheap Chinese ones.

Last edited:
I get a huge discount on certain stuff at my local auto store and my BWD are like 40 bucks a piece, and honestly they work fine for me. I don't have the coin to drop 350 on a whole set at time, and if I can save 10-15 bucks I will do so.

Eventually I want to get the accell coils

I will look into both those coils, as my above post notes, I'm not thrilled with "Standard".

Thanks for the review of them =)

...I refuse to pay $100 for Fords "made in china" that apparently only lasted 52k Miles from factory...

Experiences vary. The Motorcraft coils are about $50 each, not $100. I have well over 100K trouble free miles on each of the last two sets of coils that I bought, one set on my 04, and the other on my 06. I think that they finally did solve the problem.

I agree its always best to use OEM, because the train of thought is the car is designed to run on OEM First Party. However, I honestly think Ford cheaped out HARD on electronics in 1990's - 2010 decades, as most of Fords on consumer reports show electronic issues.

But joegr if you have a good experience with them now, then I am inclined to believe that its possible they resolved the problem. However I'm in Canada, and we always pay a crap ton more than Americans for pretty well everything =(

So I called ford and they want $111.76 EACH + Tax (13% Ontario). Thats $894.08 before TAX, which gives me a grand total of $1010.31 for 8 coils.

NOPE NOPE NOPE

...So I called ford and they want $111.76 EACH + Tax (13% Ontario). Thats $894.08 before TAX, which gives me a grand total of $1010.31 for 8 coils.

NOPE NOPE NOPE

Yeah, I have to agree with you there.

I honestly think its the luck of the draw with these things at this point. Some users had bad experience with motocraft, other with aftermarket. Some had really bad experience with cheap Chinese ones.
That's how quality assurance and reliability work though... A product scrutinized through a high quality assurance process and build out of reliable materials and tested designs might fail 0% after one year, 2% after 2 years, 5% after 3 years, etc. A "cheap" product may fail 20% after one year, 30% after 2 years, 50% after 3 years, etc. When comparing 2 vehicles, one with the "good" product and one with the "bad", the good product vehicle might be in that 2% failure rate and the cheap product vehicle may be in that 70% success rate after 2 years, but that's just anecdotal and you can't claim they're both on equal grounds or how lucky the person is; compare 100 vs 100 vehicles (or a statistically significant number) and then you could make that claim. It's a bit like saying we're both rolling dices and a pay for a re-roll for anything 4 or lower; you then roll a 6 and I roll a 5, but our hands aren't even and it's not just luck. You pay extra for a "better" part to be in lower probability of failure. Anyway, it's annoying that the OEM ones fail too!

So I called ford and they want $111.76 EACH + Tax (13% Ontario). Thats $894.08 before TAX, which gives me a grand total of $1010.31 for 8 coils.

NOPE NOPE NOPE
Coils?
Try Rock Auto (here). CAD$62.50 a piece. x8. -5% discount code (google one) +$11.76 shipping (2-3day) to Ontario +$65HST (for all 8) = CAD$551.76 for a set of 8, at your door step. Brokerage and customs 100% included.

Also, for parts in Canada, you can generally take a look at these guys: Genuine OEM Ford Parts & Accessories Canada --F150 and Mustang | Eastgate Ford Parts CA
Unfortunately, in this case, they list the product as discontinued (maybe try some other part numbers). Their prices are about 20% cheaper on average than calling a local dealer, BUT you have to pay about $20 for Canada Post shipping. They're located in Hamilton. I think these prices only apply online though. Haven't used them yet though, as Tasca has been cheaper for stuff I ordered from them.

If you price it out at Tasca (Ignition Coil - Ford (2W4Z-12029-B) | TascaParts.com) it's:
(in USD)
$53.04 x8 = $424.32
+ $37.23 Shipping (DHL, almost next day, if Tasca has it in stock)
Which is about CAD$615
If you are unlucky, you'll get charged CAD$15 brokerage fee and HST on your order (excluding shipping) of about CAD$74, which would bring your grand total to about CAD$705.
I had 2 orders from Tasca, one USD$300 and another for USD$45. Only the second (much cheaper) one got processed by customs, so it depends on your luck there. Always go with DHL than UPS, as their brokerage fees are lower and they're faster - and somehow cheaper on Tasca. If you wait a bit, the $20 threshold at which customs starts paying attention will increase and you might be able to spread this out a bit.

Either way, RockAuto is the way to go in this case.

Not saying they coils are cheap or even worth it. Just don't despair with what the dealer throws at you; you have options - in this case half that price!

Still using the Delphi's from rock auto almost 30k miles later no issues. Although it seemed I got a few from different batches. BWD I had for about 30k miles no issues either.

Members online

No members online now.
Back