My Dream Lincoln LS Project and Engine Swap (Hypothesis/Proposal)

Hello all,

1st let me apologize for interrupting with questions about my situation. The reason for this intrusion is because I'm unable to start my own post or find one as close to my situation as this one is. If yall dont mind answering a few questions and keep in mind i am a novice to the ls.

My problem: I have a 03 ls v8, I'm looking to put a new motor in it. The reason is because it overheated a few times (on different occasions) and the chain popped while being driven. Another problem was that radiator cracked and mixed transmission fluid into the coolant some time before the engine failed. That didn't cause the failure (young ignorance did that), just wanted to give all of you all the information and whats happening to the car.

My questions go as follows and feel free to add.
Now what ppl are telling me is not to bother and get a new car because the ls is not worth fixing, how true is that?

I want to get a remanufactured motor, who is a trustworthy company online?
Or should I just stay local if possible (im in va and there is a company here in Chesapeake called barnett but reviews are not so hot)?

Should i take the opportunity to upgrade the motor, and if so what fit with ease? Will an ls 06 v8 fit in an 03? Can i really use a jag motor?

Again feel free to add anything that i may have overlooked or not aware of when dealing with this model.

Thanks

... I have a 03 ls v8, ...and the chain popped while being driven. ...

Unlikely on a 2nd gen V8. Are you certain of this? Did you take the covers off and verify it?

... Another problem was that radiator cracked and mixed transmission fluid into the coolant some time before the engine failed....

This is not possible. This is pure fiction. The transmission lines do not connect to or pass through the radiator anywhere on your LS. The transmission cooler is a completely separate part that is between the AC condenser and the radiator. There is an air gap between it and the radiator. There's no way for ATF to mix with coolant. (This is possible of plenty of other cars, but not on this one.) Is this a made up post?

... Will an ls 06 v8 fit in an 03? ...

Yes.

...Can i really use a jag motor?...

Yes, it's possible, but it requires an unreasonable effort.

...Now what ppl are telling me is not to bother and get a new car because the ls is not worth fixing, how true is that?...

From an economic point of view, they are correct.

Unlikely on a 2nd gen V8. Are you certain of this? Did you take the covers off and verify it?

No, haven't started yet. From what i was told there was a ticking noise then the motor stop, they heard what sound like a chain dragging with the rotation of the engine, i saw that the belt was still on, also attempted to start motor, i dont recall if i heard the starter. Besides i was told i need to pull the engine to expose the chain, replace the freeze plugs, and replace gaskets, is that true? So how much damage can this motor take?

This is not possible. This is pure fiction. The transmission lines do not connect to or pass through the radiator anywhere on your LS. The transmission cooler is a completely separate part that is between the AC condenser and the radiator. There is an air gap between it and the radiator. There's no way for ATF to mix with coolant. (This is possible of plenty of other cars, but not on this one.) Is this a made up post?

No...this situation is real and as i mentioned before I'm a novice to the ls. Now from what i understand and was told by a ford tech that a line runs from transmission thru radiator. Plus I trace a line from ps reservoir to radiator, doesn't the ps work off atf? Plus there was no coolent in the oil.

From an economic point of view, they are correct.

Can you elaborate more on your economic point of view, ppl stated the motor and car is not worth fixing because its so problematic, is that true? What id like to do is spent 3000 max to repair instead of buying someone else's headache.

I figure it's cheaper to get a new motor then rebuild.

Another question ...if i use an 06 v8 engine would i need to upgrade tranny? Do i lose any electrical features? Already changed the pcm and lost traction feat.

Can you elaborate more on your economic point of view, ppl stated the motor and car is not worth fixing because its so problematic, is that true? What id like to do is spent 3000 max to repair instead of buying someone else's headache.

I figure it's cheaper to get a new motor then rebuild.

Another question ...if i use an 06 v8 engine would i need to upgrade tranny? Do i lose any electrical features? Already changed the pcm and lost traction feat.

Repair parts for the LS are getting more scarce by the day. Most (like 90%+) interior parts are unavailable outside of a junkyard. Things like factory shocks (the best) aren't available. There isn't anything more problematic about the LS than any other car. Seems these are cheap enough that anyone can afford one and the 3rd+ owner never knows what abuse (lack of maintenance) the car has suffered. That alone makes it more economical to sell it for parts and get a car that can be fixed when needed.

The '03 to '06 drivetrains are the same.

Ticking/knocking sound was probably not the chains.
No, you do have to pull the engine to do any of those things. You need to find better advisors.

No ATF lines run through the radiator or have any other opportunity to mix with coolant. The power steering does use ATF. It too has a cooler in front of the radiator. It is a separate loop from the transmission cooler.

You do have an oil-to-water cooler (it's where the oil filter screws on) for the engine oil. When this fails, it puts engine oil (not ATF) into the coolant, but usually coolant does not end up in the oil (oil is at much higher pressure than coolant is, in the cooler).

Cheaper to replace (whole car) than to repair, if the engine is toast.

Need to run correct calibrate procedure on PCM and ABS module to get traction control (or AdvanceTrac, if you had that) working again. Why did you replace the PCM?

Ticking/knocking sound was probably not the chains.
No, you do have to pull the engine to do any of those things. You need to find better
The chain sound started after the motor died, the ticking noise stop before the chain sound started.
Are you saying "no, i don't have to remove the engine " or "yes i do "

Need to run correct calibrate procedure on PCM and ABS module to get traction control (or AdvanceTrac, if you had that) working again. Why did you replace the PCM?

I believe you advised me before. I was mistaken when I stated pcm, I changed out the abs mod. The old one wasn't reading the speedometer and kept throwing the car into ect or etc...limp mode. I had took it to the dealership and 1500.00 later and new sensors, throttle body and egr she was still doing it. Took ur advice changed the abs mod and it wrked, but the dealership said they couldn't fully program the mod so the only thing i lost was trac. You and i had a long dialog about the dealership, lol.

Sorry, dropped a word.
No, you do not have to pull the engine to get to or do any of the things you mentioned.

So. After years of inactivity and research I’ve wondered 2-3 things.

1. I saw jag superchargers will fit a gen 2 with some modifications (im not sure if it’s the s/c(2nd gen) or the ls gen 2 that will work).
2. Coyotes will fit but everyone is worried about electronic interfacing, I wonder wouldn’t the control pack clear this issue having it’s own pcm which can be patched into the body harness?
3. If you make a change to a electronic fan and move some lines in order to fit a centrifugal headunit.
4. For the large intake issue I wondered maybe a m5 style power dome would work for clearance as hood modifications aren’t too bad.

Members online

No members online now.
Back