Best way to remove Carbon?

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone has knowledge on the best way to remove Carbon from your motor (outside of taking the block apart).

I've heard people mess up their cars from using Seafoam. But I did find a video from chrisfix who used a aerosol can of Seafoam connected directly to his intake and it did wonders.

Any other suggestions?

You are going to find that responses will be 50/50 on Seafoam working. I'm on the side of it actually working as I saw the results in an older motorcycle. It went from running poorly to running like new after adding Seafoam to several tanks of fuel. I still add a bottle once a year to the BMW.

I've used it for years, never had an issue.

I use it regularly in the fuel in three of my cars, and three trucks, I have used it on a couple older vehicles via a vacuum hose stuck in a can of it.

The spray can kind is best IMHO for cleaning out carbon buildup in the upper intake, I have used it several times for cleaning one out by opening the throttle plate, spraying it in there big time, let it sit 10 min and start it up, after it smooths out I spray more while it's running.

I recently helped an old guy I know that has a Dodge Cummings that was lacking the power it once had, changed the fuel filter, filled the filter cartridge with Seafoam and started it up, he drove it down the hwy and said it was running like it did when new.

Now he buys it.

I also use it in my diesel tractor.

So I used the seafoam can.
I have to say, it worked. I followed the instructions on the can, my buddy and I ran it. The part where you go for the aggressive drive, i saw the product smoke out of my exhaust as it should. But more noticeable, was the strong smell of carbon in the air. Very strong.
Engine began idling better, and was quieter. My buddies noticed the difference.

So I'm gonna hit it with another can in the next week, because I just got this car a month ago and the previous owner did alot of short trips with it. There definitely is carbon build up.

So I used the seafoam can.
I have to say, it worked. I followed the instructions on the can, my buddy and I ran it. The part where you go for the aggressive drive, i saw the product smoke out of my exhaust as it should. But more noticeable, was the strong smell of carbon in the air. Very strong.
Engine began idling better, and was quieter. My buddies noticed the difference.

So I'm gonna hit it with another can in the next week, because I just got this car a month ago and the previous owner did alot of short trips with it. There definitely is carbon build up.
The Sea Foam engine spray worked great in my 01' LS I too noticed the engine started to run a lot smoother and quieter ...If my memory serves me correctly I shot the nozzle through the Vacuum hose...had my wife keep the RPM's at 2000 while spraying ...I agree 50/50 when it comes to believers

I don't know if it made any difference on my LS, but it definitely pissed off my neighbors back in queens. sooo much smoke.

I add a can annually to my 2005 V8 LS. I buy it at Lowes. It's cheaper by a couple of bucks.

Try it and see. I am not a fan of miracles in a can but there is not really any down side and it's pretty easy and cheap to do.
Remember water is far more effective at removing combustion chamber deposits but solvents like Seafoam are better at removing intake tract buildups.

Use it with someone operating the gas pedal to keep the engine running. What I do is use most of the can and then kill the engine with it right at the end. Then let the hot engine soak about 20 minutes before restarting. Yes anyone that has ever used this product is aware of the HUGE amount of smoke it generates!

Keep in mind that chrisfix makes a lot of money off of sponsorships, so it really is more like watching a Seafoam commercial than a real tutorial.

Never used this stuff myself. I'm not ok taking any costly risks with my catalytic converters for marginal improvements.
Had a friend who used to swear by the cleaning prowess of intake ethanol injections, which he used for his turbo set up.

I'm actually going to try to hijack this thread a bit and ask:

What is the best way to remove carbon deposits from the intake side of the cylinder head, (including the exposed portion of the valve stems) when the intake manifold IS removed?
I'm thinking a rag soaked in carb cleaner should do the trick.

Once I clean the valve stems, do I need to lubricate them in any way?

BMW has some sort of cleaning/polishing process using walnut shells. I assume they have special fixturing for that specific to their engines. I think that Ford is working on something similar.

No, on the lubrication (they are oiled from the other side).

No, on the lubrication (they are oiled from the other side).
Thanks. That was what I was hoping!

BMW has some sort of cleaning/polishing process using walnut shells. I assume they have special fixturing for that specific to their engines. I think that Ford is working on something similar.
The head is straying on the engine, so I can't be blasting it with anything. The tricky part is marking sure I don't leave any big gunk pieces to fall into the cylinder.

Thanks. That was what I was hoping!

The head is straying on the engine, so I can't be blasting it with anything. The tricky part is marking sure I don't leave any big gunk pieces to fall into the cylinder.

I'm not seriously suggesting that you do, but be aware that BMW does not remove the head (or the engine) to do this, just the intake manifold. The issue for them is the GDI. Having no gasoline spraying on the back of the intake valves allows a lot of carbon to build up on them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back