Wheel Questions

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So for the first time in 30 years I'm looking at doing new rims. Factory 7 spoke chrome are shot. Since I've been out of the loop for a while... I'm gonna ask "what hits and what fits",,, along with a couple other questions.

I'm keeping the stock tire size, (235/50/17), and the tires are going to be Continental Extreme Contact DWS. This is non-debatable.

The rims I am considering are these... (in silver),,, similar to a Jag rim:

https://www.petrolwheels.com/custom-wheels-rims-p3a/

The factory rims are 17x7.5, where the above are 17x8. 1/2 inch doesn't seem to be an issue... but where I get a bit confused is with the offset. Factory rims are a 60 offset... and the above are a 40 offset. From what I understand, the 40 offset will move the rim slightly outward,,, but are there any negative effects to this???? Will anything hit or rub???

FYI... I DID just do the Jag 320mm front brake rotor upgrade,,, so obviously the calipers are further out from the hub now.

And yes... I know these rims will need the hub centering adapters, (to be mounted by installer).

Is there anything I'm missing?

TIA for any responses.

BTW... the wheels I really wanted to put on the LS are these:

Silverstone Alloy Wheels by TSW

But with the LS coming up on 210K on the odometer I couldn't justify it. I'll feel lucky if the old girl makes it to 280 without major engine and/or trans failure. As it is... it's gonna need timing chains, (and phasers) soon. And oil pump... and shims for the cam followers,,, etc. etc.

Planning on a trans fluid and filter change this coming weekend,,,, if I have Sunday off, (and that's not looking promising). AND a rear diff fluid change.

Why don't you just look for rims to fit an S-Type? They would be set up to fit over the brakes to begin with, no guesswork

On paper, your wheels (and their contact to the ground) will be shifted farther out from the car by 20mm per side (Wheel Offset Calculator). I don't have much experience with this, but intuition tells me that your suspension would get softer (longer lever on the same arm). From what I've read, steering feedback will feel looser when you reduce offset radius. I think generally changing wheel offset for aesthetics negatively affects performance, but I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in this case.

As for fitting all that brake hardware in there, it depends on the actual geometry of the rim, how thick the spokes are, etc. On a rims where the spokes connect to/close to the front of the lip, generally a smaller positive offset creates more space in that pocket. But, again, depending on the exact geometry of the rim, that's not guaranteed. My gut tells me that you'll have more space. However, if you don't, you can always add spacers, to a certain limit.

This should illustrate what I mean. See how with the larger +ve offset, the caliper is jammed up against the rim:
wheel-offset-backspace.png

Why don't you just look for rims to fit an S-Type? They would be set up to fit over the brakes to begin with, no guesswork

Because here in the rust belt... most of the boneyard rims are worse than mine,,, if they haven't been scrapped already. There is a place about 2 hours from me that lists some,,, but then it's not a whole set... and even they have minor curb damage. Not worth the drive at $100 per rim.

Grey,

I get what you are saying, but don't completely agree. Shoving the wheel out will create a wider track/stance... which would improve handling some,,, but may also cause the vehicle to slide a bit instead of taking the curve/turn. I'm not worried about that though.

I don't think it will soften the suspension either,,, but it will create slightly more wear at the hub, shortening its life. Not that 20mm is a large amount anyway.

Back in the day... you could swap rims from almost any manufacturer and they would fit. You could also go wider and still have plenty of fender well to cover the tire without worrying about rubbing. Today... things are more vehicle specific, and manufacturer specific.

I guess when the rims come in at the shop,,, we'll just have to try dry fitting a rim to check clearances. I was just curious how much of a change 20mm was going to make and if there were going to be any issues... such as fender lip rubbing under suspension compression or tire rubbing suspension parts or fender well with steering wheel at full lock.

Thanks for the diagram!!! :cool: It will help me know what to look for... and if I understand correctly going from a 60mm offset to a 40mm offset will give more room for the caliper/bracket relocation and larger rotor. And yes... the spokes connect at the outer lip of the rim

I was talking about rims from TireRack or something. Boneyard rims didn't even come to mind. Or maybe aftermarket Jaguar repros

In case you haven't already used it, this calculator works very well for comparing different tire size, wheel size and offsets.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages

For the summer I run Jaguar Dynamics off of a mid-2000's XJ. They are 18x8's with a 49mm offset and I'm running 245/45-18's. This combination sticks out 17mm farther than the factory wheel, which doesn't sound like much, but it's very obvious especially when I go back to the stock sized wheels in the winter. They give the car a noticeably wider stance and I really like the look of the wheels pushed out closer to the edge.
I think you would be OK with the 40mm offset 8" wheels, but for me it would pushing the limits but I'm a bit on the conservative side when it comes to wheel fitment.

Grey,

I get what you are saying, but don't completely agree. Shoving the wheel out will create a wider track/stance... which would improve handling some,,, but may also cause the vehicle to slide a bit instead of taking the curve/turn. I'm not worried about that though.
Not sure if I agree with myself either, TBH. :)
What I've read, is that handling improves like you said, but the handling feedback gets worse. Like, I said, this is not from experience.

I don't think it will soften the suspension either,,, but it will create slightly more wear at the hub, shortening its life. Not that 20mm is a large amount anyway.
At 20mm, it will not make a difference. It's more theoretical.

Back in the day... you could swap rims from almost any manufacturer and they would fit. You could also go wider and still have plenty of fender well to cover the tire without worrying about rubbing. Today... things are more vehicle specific, and manufacturer specific.
The myriad of hub + lug pattern configurations piss me off. There should be set hub sizes and lug patterns for wheel diameter ranges.

[...]such as fender lip rubbing under suspension compression or tire rubbing suspension parts or fender well with steering wheel at full lock.
That's what matters most, IMO. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Thanks for the diagram!!! :cool: It will help me know what to look for... and if I understand correctly going from a 60mm offset to a 40mm offset will give more room for the caliper/bracket relocation and larger rotor. And yes... the spokes connect at the outer lip of the rim
This shouldn't matter, but the rim itself will protrude out by ~26mm for you, not just 20mm, like the tire, since you got wider rims too (8" vs 7.5"), so an extra quarter inch on each side.

P.S. Here's a visualisation tool - don't think it helps much though:
Wheel Offset Calculator
EDIT: woah, much better:

In case you haven't already used it, this calculator works very well for comparing different tire size, wheel size and offsets.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages

Using BCA's calculator, I should be in pretty good shape with the upgraded front brakes and most dimensions. The extra .8 extension of the wheel/tire is a bit of concern... when putting one corner of the LS suspension under hard compression. I'll have to work into that slowly.

Suspension clearance: 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Fenders clearance: Package 2 will stick out 20 mm (0.8'') farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset.
Wheelwells clearance: The same.
SPEEDOMETER: The same.

I was talking about rims from TireRack or something. Boneyard rims didn't even come to mind. Or maybe aftermarket Jaguar repros

DOH!!! Yeah... when you said Jag, I was thinking factory. Actually,,, the S-Type rims offered on TR and other places are the same as for the LS. Didn't really think to look at other Jag fitments because most of them are larger or wider, (such as the ones BCA mentioned). I'm trying to stay as close as possible to stock, (even with a somewhat stock Jag look).

I guess we'll see. Rims and tires should be installed a week from now.

Well... they're on. Plenty of clearance on the caliper. They definitely protrude more than stock,,, but still, (barely), tuck under the wheel well. Minor pics. I stopped taking complete pics of my vehicles years ago... because usually within a few months of taking pics,,, the vehicle would be boneyard material.

Plus... the "car season" for deer is starting now,,, and I don't want to jinx myself. I'm normally not superstitious,,, but with me and pictured vehicles, there is an unplanned pattern that can't be ignored.

So here's all ya get:

DSCN2048.JPG

DSCN2049.JPG

DSCN2047.JPG

Members online

No members online now.
Back