Removal of door lock assembly

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I finally purchased a new door lock assembly for my driver side.. ( 3 failing ) I removed the bolts and the wires but there is a little yellow clip that connects the rod coming from the door handle to the assembly it self. Im so stumped I dont know what to do lol.

Does this help?

IMG_0840[1].JPG

You have to reach around and unsnap it. Then the rod will be released. The snap is at the small end, the hinge is the big end.

IMG_0841[1].JPG

okay thanks I tried that but it wont budge... you mean the yellow part is a lever and you want me to pull square end and not the round hinge end?

Also are they reusable? I have a brand new motorcraft door lock assembly and there is no yellow clip on it.

Yes.
They are reusable in that you can unsnap them and snap them back many times. However, there is some difficulty to removing the plastic assembly from the metal lever of the lock. You have to be very careful and at least a little lucky to do that without breaking the ears that hold it on.

Yes.
They are reusable in that you can unsnap them and snap them back many times. However, there is some difficulty to removing the plastic assembly from the metal lever of the lock. You have to be very careful and at least a little lucky to do that without breaking the ears that hold it on.

Thanks Joegr.. gonna do it right now

So I have everything switched over and bolted down clips included but I am having trouble sitting the cable inside flange of the inner door handle assembly. Is it possible to seat the cable properly in there without drilling out the rivets of the door handle assembly ?

924305D6-7316-49C8-8EDD-3C33A9DD8725.jpeg

I don't know the answer to your question. I have never removed the cable from the handle. Why did you? It's pretty easy to remove and replace at the lock end instead.

I don't know the answer to your question. I have never removed the cable from the handle. Why did you? It's pretty easy to remove and replace at the lock end instead.

I had to remove the old cable from it. It was easy to get out but pretty hard to get the new one in. Im probably just going to drill out the rivets and go to home depot and get 4 nuts and bolts. When I bought the car the door had issues like not wanting to shut properly sometimes. I had removed the cable and put it back in that position many times I just cant get the Motorcraft one in.

The new assembly had a brand new cable attached. I didnt want to try and mess around removing it and hooking up to the old one to the lock.

The new assembly had a brand new cable attached. I didnt want to try and mess around removing it and hooking up to the old one to the lock.

It just snaps on an off. It's really easy compared to a Ford Ranger latch.
Any way, short bolts, nuts, and lock washers should do it. I keep boxes of each on hand for just such problems.

As stated earlier, the outside door handle rod is attached to the door actuator via a yellow and white clip that holds the rod. When this clip is opened, the rod is easily detached from the actuator. Open this clip using a hooked pick that has lots of curvature. Pry up on the yellow part of the clip and it pops right open. Easy. To reattach the rod, place the rod in the white part of the clip and squeeze the yellow part around the rod with your fingers. Again, easy.

Members online

Back